2005 Tucson

2005 Hyundai Tucson

2005 Hyundai Tucson

4.3

Have You Driven the 2005 Hyundai Tucson?

Quite a Value for the Money!

by Family Guy from Florida on Fri Feb 15 2008

I have an '05 GLS with the 2.7L six and around 49,000 miles - purchased used. I researched small SUVs for months fulling intending to get a RAV-4 or CRV. What I found when I got serious about shopping is that the Tucson offers as much or more, for far less money. The only thing 'missing' is the Honda or Toyota nameplate. This SUV handles and drives much like a compact car. Parking is a breeze and there is never a feeling of lugging around tons of metal behind you. The higher driving position gives you a nice view, but it's not as high as a full-sized SUV. The 2.7L V-6 more than suits my power needs and is as smooth as anything else I've driven. The engine "booms" a bit under throttle which may be from the dual exhaust. Not annoying to me but worth noting. Gas mileage in pure stop and go driving isn't so hot - 20 mpg. A recent trip with 60% highway and 40% stop and go bumped it up to 25 mpg overall. Not bad. I like the rear seats that fold flat, as does the passenger front seat. I can certainly load bulky items in the back with no problem as well as something long like a ladder. No you can't haul 3 bedrooms of furniture but that wasn't the design. The safety can't be beat: airbags everywhere including side curtain; Automatic Traction Control, 4W disc brakes.... The interior is loaded with cup holders and tie downs and storage areas for everything, even a small drop-drown from the overhead console designed for glasses. No, this small SUV isn't for serious off-roading. Lots of ground clearance will get you over some rocks but not much else. The ONLY thing I find annoying at times: The large roof pillars in front combined with large mirrors, seems to create quite a blind spot at times. Pretty easy to not see a small car if they fit right in that spot. Other than that - a terrific little SUV that I really enjoy driving. If you're considering a small one - don't miss out: test drive a Tucson (and a Sante Fe) The Santa Fe was a bit more quiet inside but that was about it.

Best Car Ever Owned

by Hard Driver from Gettysburg, PA on Thu Jul 15 2010

I purchased a 2005 new with just a few miles on it. In these 5 years, I have put 204, 000 miles on it as of today. I have put gas, oil (every 5000 miles-synthetic), tires and wiper blades in it. Flawless performance. We have the manual 4 cylinder. We get 29 MPG still - I drive almost exclusively highway miles which might account for the MPG and the lack of repair bills. When oil changes come around, I almost always have the full amount of oil in the crankcase. At 200, 000 plus miles and no oil burning at all. All accessories still work as designed. The 4 cylinder is a bit underpowered. We got the manual to compensate for that. I have no problems accelerating, passing, etc. You just have to hold it in gear a bit longer. Don't be afraid of pushing the RPMs to 4000, I do it daily and the car has no issues. I'm 6' 4", 270 pounds, wife is 5' 2" 130 pounds, we can adjust the seat in a flick and off we go. Both of us experience good visibility and control of the car. Two older teenage children (one over 6 foot) have no complaints sitting in the back, even when I have the driver's seat back for me. This car represents outstanding value for the money.

reliable car

by Hyundai lover from Las Vegas,NV on Tue Apr 05 2011

I love the Hyundai Tucson that I drove for almost 6 years now. it had least or none problems. did not bothered me at all, and is reliable perfectly. a very good car turned out to be,low maintenance, good warranty, and very safe . Good for mothers, new teen drivers, and anyone who likes to have a powerful and safe car without breaking the bank.

Great package

by Love my car from Baltimore, MD on Thu Jan 17 2008

I bought this car when it first came out in 2005. I was at a Honda/Hyundai dealership test driving an Accord coupe when my sister noticed the Tucson. We tried a 4 cylinder, but immediately came back since it was way too weak. The 6 cylinder was a dream though! And I loved all of the features - the airbags, the MP3 player, the fog lights, heated front window, etc. Also, the storage capacity is pretty amazing for a small SUV since everything can lie down flat. Perfect for moving in and out of my dorm room each semester. After test driving the car, I took it home that day! I have not had any serious mechanical issues with the car in the 3 years I have had it.

love my little suv

by little mama from Austin on Wed Aug 05 2009

I got my Tucson, a 2005, in 2007. It's a manual so I can't speak for the automatics performance. I like a standard transmission because I get to control the "kick". Anyhow, this car has been great, easy and fun. Very reliable. It's more comfortable than the CRV's I test drove. I did have a problem with the locks not locking w/ remote or manually but I took it to the service department and they were like no other service department I've ever been to. They were very pleasant and took care of it quickly. The warranty has been great. I have 2 kids and safety was number one in picking it. I have a very basic model, but I'm guessing more options makes for a more luxurious car, however, for me - I LOVE to drive and my Tucson has been fun, from the first test drive. That plus the Hyundia's safety and warranty made it a great pick, still.

Quality and Reliable

by DoubleDown from on Thu Feb 23 2012

Owned for almost 5 years and never had a major problem. Only repairs were for basic wear and tear from use.

excellent in the snow.

by remir from south hadley,ma on Thu Mar 24 2011

my hyundai tucson is great. for the first time in years I have had no trouble with driving in the snow. It handles great. some of the things that I would change would be a higher arm rest; and better gas milage. it curently on gets 19.5 miles to the gallon. but I really love it otherwise.

Has performed well

by SVAgirl from Louisiana on Sun Feb 23 2014

We bought this car, used, for our high school daughter in 2011 (6 years old at the time). At the time it had about 60,000 miles on it. It has served her well and she now has it in college. It has been low maintenance, which has been wonderful. I have driven it on occasion and I love the way it handles--it's very responsive. It was a good purchase for our daughter and we expect it to last her through college and maybe beyond!

way to go!!

by joe from chicago on Sun Aug 09 2009

Best car I've ever had. Had it 4 1/2 years,no trouble! Unbelievable! Have had about 30 Detroit made cars over time. They can't compare. Daughter has 2007 Tuscon and plan on purchasing a second Tuscon in 2010. Nice handling and nice looking Thank You!

Very surprised

by Snake from Chicago, IL on Fri Aug 18 2006

Drove one of these as a rental. Thought I would dread it but was quite surprised at the performance, handling and comfort the Tucson delivered. I drove the 6 cylinder trim with 2WD. With prolonged high-speed travel this vehicle kept right up with me. Even at 80 or 90 mph the cabin was fairly quiet (quieter than my 96 Pathfinder by far). The Tucson only had 10,000 miles on it but it handled like a dream compared to other small SUV's I have driven. The exterior design was good and actually grew on me (unlike the Santa Fe which is bulbous in design) but the interior was not what it could have been. Hard to admit this but I am actually looking to buy one now.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2005 Hyundai Tucson

Hyundai regained the trust of the American buyer on the strength of a few models, including the Korean manufacturer's first sport utility vehicle. The Santa Fe, introduced in 2001, proved that it could compete in the crowded SUV market in terms of features, utility and even crash-test ratings. Following the Hyundai philosophy, it did so at a lower price and with the most generous warranty in the industry. For 2005, Hyundai delivered the Santa Fe's little brother, the Tucson.

Size-wise, the
Hyundai Santa Fe is at the top end of the compact SUV class, so the Tucson isn't dramatically smaller — 7 inches from bumper to bumper. This would be a terrible move if it weren't for... Read More