2005 Tucson

2005 Hyundai Tucson

2005 Hyundai Tucson

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2005 Hyundai Tucson?

love it

by davo from sherwood ark on Mon Nov 06 2006

I was very impressed with all the standard safety features and the looks of it. Ive had mine for almost two years now and not a thing has gone wrong with it. The first two weeks I had it we had a heavy snow storm. I was getting around everyone else who was stuck or slid off the road.

Love the Car. Don't love the AC problems

by BaileyBear from Orlando, Fl on Thu Feb 28 2019

We've had this car in our family for years, and over all it has been a great car! It is super cute and drives well! There have been some exterior issues, like the side panels coming off (actually I just had the panels screwed back in place because the clips were so cheap). The inside leather seats also have cracked quite a bit, and there are a couple weird quirks like that. My main complaint though is against the air conditioning, where one of the switches broke, and unlike most cars where you can replace it, you have to replace the entire compressor, which is very expensive. Also had to replace the stereo, because of an electrical issue where it kept killing my battery. I think because I live in Florida some of the cds somehow got melted or warped and messed it up and that might've been the issue vs Hyundai being the issue.

Best Car Ever Owned

by Hard Driver from Gettysburg, PA on Thu Jul 15 2010

I purchased a 2005 new with just a few miles on it. In these 5 years, I have put 204, 000 miles on it as of today. I have put gas, oil (every 5000 miles-synthetic), tires and wiper blades in it. Flawless performance. We have the manual 4 cylinder. We get 29 MPG still - I drive almost exclusively highway miles which might account for the MPG and the lack of repair bills. When oil changes come around, I almost always have the full amount of oil in the crankcase. At 200, 000 plus miles and no oil burning at all. All accessories still work as designed. The 4 cylinder is a bit underpowered. We got the manual to compensate for that. I have no problems accelerating, passing, etc. You just have to hold it in gear a bit longer. Don't be afraid of pushing the RPMs to 4000, I do it daily and the car has no issues. I'm 6' 4", 270 pounds, wife is 5' 2" 130 pounds, we can adjust the seat in a flick and off we go. Both of us experience good visibility and control of the car. Two older teenage children (one over 6 foot) have no complaints sitting in the back, even when I have the driver's seat back for me. This car represents outstanding value for the money.

Awesome Experience!

by Tuscon LVR from Washington, IL on Tue Jun 24 2014

I purchased my Hyundai Tuscon in 2005. I am getting ready to trade it in, as the mileage is now at 217,000! It's still running very well, but it's time to say goodbye to my all-time favorite car. The only frustration I have is that new Tuscons are considerably higher in price than they were when I first purchased. I'm opting for a Kia Soul this time, and only hope I have similar results as I experienced with my awesome little Tuscon!

Tucson Owner Since The Beginning

by Coot from Salem, OR on Sat Mar 30 2019

This car was my parents, and as of 2019 the Tucson is still running strong. There are some notable problems with the car though, mainly consisting of a radio problem that will cause the car to die constantly unless an after-market radio is purchased, and a fuel problem where I have to rev the car for around 5 minutes every time I get gas or else it will die on me. If one of my friends wanted to buy this car, I would tell them they should spend their money elsewhere, mainly because the car is old and most of them probably have many problems by now. The interior of the car looks very nice but is made from really cheap plastics, even where there should be higher quality materials, meaning the interior is very easy to break and comes off as cheap. The cargo area is really spacious and has some lighting and a power output. One thing I very much dislike about this car (though it's mostly a problem with it being old) is the foggy headlights. I can barely see on the road at night if I don't use after-market headlight restorer cream once or sometimes even twice a season. Driving this car is really fun even though it is pretty weak (V6 GLS) because it is small and nimble enough to take corners somewhat fast. I would definitely recommend anyone who gets this car to get the 4WD version because this car does like to skid when taking off at lights or especially on gravel. I really like the exterior styling besides the headlights, the seats are decently comfortable with quite a bit of room, the car is somewhat reliable, but with age has declined, the interior is very cheap but with a nice design, and it is underpowered but somehow still fun to drive in my experience. The car also has good safety ratings and I've never been injured in the 3 (although minor) accidents I've had in this. Overall I give this car a 3/5 TLDR Pros -Still runs some 15 years later -Fun drive -Spacious -Good styling -OK MPG -Safe -Good family car Cons -Headlights fogging up from oxidation -Cheap plastics EVERYWHERE -Weak engine -Stock radio issue -Fueling issue

Does not recommend this car!!

Love the car but expensive to maintain

by SUV Lover from Herndon, Virginia on Sun May 13 2018

Bought it used with 24K miles. Love the v6 and true 4WD (not AWD). Car is an easy driver with good visibility, smooth riding, great steering and comfortable seats. Car is also a snowmobile in the snow and capable in the soft sand in Corolla NC. However, timing belt and water pump at $1,500 every 50k miles? new steering rack and struts at 75K miles for $2500? Now the trani is slipping at 115000 miles, forget about it.....

Does not recommend this car!!

Would NOT buy another Hyundai EVER...

by Tabitha125 from Texas on Sun Jul 16 2017

Bought it new in 2005 it has leather heated seats and not much else as far as bells and whistles this year was lacking. But i took a chance and bought it, i have always done maintenance on it even changed the TIMING BELT yes belt not a chain when it said to have it done which keep in mind is every 60,000 miles so that said beware it is not cheap to have done. So even though i have done this i had a timing belt brakes and has caused engine damage not sure how bad yet and its only had 128,000 miles on it. Ok on to other issues, the struts and shocks don't last and had to be replaced before the warranty was even up and i do not live in a area when driving conditions are bad nice roads. Other issues is head light assembly melts and if you walk through a parking lot this is something you see on quite a few, for some reason inside the head light there is plastic and it melts. Dealer had area Hyundai rep come out and they replaced mine after examining and finding it was from no fault of mine because i still had the factory head lamps in my car they changed the headlight assembly at maybe 40,000 miles it was hard to get done and i happened to have a dealer service adviser that went to batt for me and got out an area Rep to look at them. But the reason i was in the dealer ship yet again was because the alternator was bad and they informed me it was my battery instead and it was not after replacing the battery at my expense i was leaving the dealership after coming back in a rental car through the dealership i got in my car and was not even half way down the street when my car died and they had to come get me. So that being said i got stuck buying a battery that was not bad and they got rid of my good battery because it was already picked up by whom ever does their recycle program, i was not happy. So to go on I had a switch in my AC control that won't let it come on when its set to high. If you look up this issue it is a common issue with Hyundai and it is not a warranty issue. So since day one i have had one issues after another. If you look up reviews for this SUV my issues are common as others. I hope this helps save someone the heart ache and expense i have gone through and you will not buy this car. Note im not just hating on Hyundai i also own a 2008 tiburon car and its just as bad and is like riding on a skate board.

Great to start

by JnR from Orlando FL on Fri Sep 29 2017

We took a chance & bought this 1st year model when it came out (2004). The front passenger shock was an issue from the beginning & never properly fixed. We found out much later that there was a recall the dealership repeatedly failed to fix. We also had an electrical issue that has never been fixed. This could be an isolated incident. It was good for many years. After 100k miles its limping & on its last legs with a slipping transmission. Great warranty.

Never

by Sports Car Enthusiast from on Tue Apr 27 2010

This car is to bad. New owner will have a lot of problem. Real price for the car in this condition 3500

This car is a lemon

by SatelliteSirens from Pocatello, ID on Thu Oct 29 2020

This car is garbage. It looks nice on the inside & outside but it's been at the mechanic more than I've actually driven it. 0/10

Our Take on the 2005 Hyundai Tucson

Hyundai regained the trust of the American buyer on the strength of a few models, including the Korean manufacturer’s first sport utility vehicle. The Santa Fe, introduced in 2001, proved that it could compete in the crowded SUV market in terms of features, utility and even crash-test ratings. Following the Hyundai philosophy, it did so at a lower price and with the most generous warranty in the industry. For 2005, Hyundai delivered the Santa Fe’s little brother, the Tucson.

Size-wise, the Hyundai Santa Fe is at the top end of the compact SUV class, so the Tucson isn’t dramatically smaller — 7 inches from bumper to bumper. This would be a terrible move if it weren’t for... Read More