2003 Rio

3.2 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Good value, reliable, good support from AZ dealers

by Nurse and Student from Metro Phoenix, AZ on September 20, 2008

This care, like the three other Kia vehicles I have owned, is not the flashiest, fastest, or quickest cares out there, but fore the money you spend you get a reliable, economic, practical car. My Kia is 5 years old with 90K miles on it now; the A/C went out in year two, but the extended warranty (something I only buy when it's on a car) covered the replacement cost and paid for itself. I have had no other problems or real complaints about the car, and have pretty much just done the recommended (by the manufacturer, not the dealer) routine maintenance. Clutch went out after 60K miles, but a drive a lot of highway miles. I average 29-32 mpg most weeks, and while the interior is nothing to write home about, it doesn't have an excessive number of squeaks and rattles lfor a economy car. The road noise can be very high at high speed, especially on concrete highways, but I've not been in a small car where it is not. My only disappointment is the lack of ABS. After having a Sephia with ABS, I was kind of mystified at Kia's decision not to offer it on this (or any) car.

300K and going!

by bvest from Bedford, Ky on March 13, 2013

We bought a 2003 Rio New. It had 1,100 mile on the clock. We just recently traded the car off after 10 years and 334,000 mile on the odometer. Yes that's right, 334,000. My wife drove the car an average of 120 mile a day to work and back. We went through several sets of tires, brakes, wheel bearings. Done all maintenance that was required, changed oil every 5,000 miles. The only work that was ever done on the car was just regular maintenance. Fuel mileage averaged around 30-32 depending on how hard it was pushed. The best was 38 mpg.

Fantastic Car

by Yentabear from Mesa, AZ on November 18, 2008

I purchased my Rio new in 2003, it currently has 96,000 miles. It has been to Chicago & back 2 times, Houston, Las Vegas, Reno, Laughlin. Basically it goes where I go. I have really had no problems with the car at all. It gets between 35 (town) 48 (hiway). My only complaint, if you can call it that, is the front seats need more padding. Especially on long drives. I think it is a great car. I plan on keeping it at least 2 more years (just bought new plates).

best car i have bought

by brecker from fairmont, wv on June 7, 2009

I have owned my rio for about a year and a half. It's a 5 speed. It has never given me any trouble. She hugs the road very well for not being a sports car. She is very good on gas:) and comfortable for road trips...

Great car for the money...

by Lovin' my little Kia Rio Cinco from Phoenix, AZ, USA on February 8, 2008

I have owned my car since I bought it new in 2003. It is now January 2008. I cant believe I have had this car for 5 years! It has been the most reliable of the 4 cars I have owned in my lifetime. I have never had to take my car to the shop. I know there is a recall on the "2003 KIA RIO FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY " for which I need to take it back to the dealer, but the serviceman that I talked to said it would be no prob and to bring it by. Other than a few little issues it has been a great car. I took it to the dealer to be check before I drove from AZ to MI which is about a 4,000 mile road trip. I drove there and back completely safe. No breakdowns at all. The only problem was that I don?t have cruise control. It gets great gas mileage though and it zooms! I have the standard model so I am in total control of the acceleration which is excellent. Like I said there are a few little problems. There are 3 recalls: The first is the seat belt, the second about the fuel system, and the last is the clip that is supposed to be added security when using a child safety seat. Also, the cigarette lighter fuses keep blowing when I try to plug anything into them. I tried different things each time. There is one in the front and one in the back and neither have ever worked. Oh yah the speakers blew right away too even though I dont listen to loud music. The other issues are somewhat surface. It gets easily dinged by stray rocks and the paint is chipping and oxidizing because of the sun out here even though I paid extra for sun protection and extra clear coats. It is also very low to the ground when driving it makes it hard to see around large vehicles. Still for what I paid I think I must have gotten the best deal on a car ever. No shop fees so far and my car is paid for with A/C, 5 doors, Alloy wheels, Pirelli tires, and a CD player. It made it back and forth across the US without a hitch. I am quite happy, but the next car I am getting cruise control and working cigarette outlets. : )

Very Reliable

by Ontheroad from Oklahoma City, OK on September 10, 2008

Six years of service and 70k miles, with nothing but normal service. I would certainly recommend this car to anyone looking for reliable economical transportation.

Great Car

by Car Lover from Waukesha, WI on December 2, 2007

This car was awsome. We got because our Saturn's transmission blew up. It was very comfortable. It never lost a part. The air conditioning was optional. And this car had it. This car also got scratches very very easiely. It was scratched in 3 months. Otherwise this car got very good gas milage around 33

Ok car

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Wichita, KS on December 25, 2006

I purchased a 2003 Kia Rio in 2006. It's a very decent car. The factory's warranty is still on it and everything. I got it for $4999.00 with 39,000 miles on it. I like everything about the car except the fact that it has NO power steering. The interior size is mediocore, however the back seat is VERY small. The car has some pick up and go when you need it to. It's a great car to drive around town all day. It costed me $17.31 to fill it up when it was completly empty. Im thinking about purchasing a new 2007 Rio.

The Kia RIO 4-Door Sedan

by A regular guy - trying to survive this President from New York, NY on May 28, 2006

A work-horse of a car. The Kia is the Taxi car fleet of choice in Colombia, S. America (Bogot?, Medell?n, Cali) Plenty of leg room in the front. A perfect second car for the wife and/or kids, grandma or even a recent college graduate whose income can't quite allow him or her to have a BMW or Mercedes. The engine's power is decent for the size of car that it is. In this day and age of $3.00/gallon gas prices, the Kia RIO is a smart decision.

This is one of the most fuel efficient cars I've e

by Ford_crown_vic from California City on September 12, 2017

This is a great car but one thing I can say about it is you need to be aware of the timing belt issues these cars have you need to change the timing belt about every 60 thousand miles or you will destroy your engine other than that the car is super reliable

1 2