1998 626

1998 Mazda 626

Have You Driven the 1998 Mazda 626?

Best car ever

by Wrecked from Indianapolis on Fri May 02 2014

I wrote a review for this car in 2010 with the name of "Mazdas are cool" or something like that. Four years later it was still the best car that I could've ever owned. I crashed it into a tree going about 30-40 mph but still managed to walk away fine, the car was totaled but I was totally fine. I thank Mazda for making such a nice car that probably saved my life. After 16 years and 224,000 miles, I had only two problems with it: the fuel pump went out and the horn quit working (cost about $337 to fix). Ironically, the day after I repaired the car, I totaled it. Undoubtedly, the best car anyone could own. The seats were comfortable too, and it was a thrill to drive.

Flawless car

by Mazdas are cool from Indianapolis, Indiana on Tue Apr 13 2010

My mom purchased this car from a rental company in 1998, and it became a hand-me-down for me. So far, even to 2010 it has only had one small problem. The brakes are a little noisy and thats about it. The only thing that I don't like about it thats its old and you can't hold that agaisnt the car. I would totally get another Mazda for my next car.

Too bad I wrecked it!

by Allison from West Des Moines, IA on Mon Jan 12 2009

I got my 1998 Mazda from the original owner in 2003. GREAT CAR! I never had any problems! It rides smooth and handles well. Mine, a manual, has nice pick up and is fun to drive. I'm not a fan of traction control, as when it's slippery, I feel that I have NO control. Other than that, I have no complaints. One interesting fact: it has oscillating vents in the center. Kind of a cool feature. I just wrecked it last week so I'm looking for a replacement. It's difficult to find something after being spoiled with my Mazda for 5 years.

zoomzoomzoom

by 1lasttime2 from Memphis, TN on Tue Mar 17 2009

I bought this car new off the lot with 5 miles on it. Right now it has 350000+. NO major problems at all, like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going! Never left me stranded, always starts 1st time! Takes curves like a champ! EXCELLENT automobile!!!

best car i have had.

by going for 200,000 miles! from FL on Wed Feb 28 2007

"Most Reliable Car I've Owned". I bought it new in 1998 and now have over 144,000 miles and never had a single problem. V6 Still runs strong and trans. is great. Highly recommended!

Very reliable

by average guy from Bristol, TN on Tue Jun 09 2009

I have had this car for a year now. I bought it with 115K miles on it for 2,800 and now it has 128K miles. There have been no major mechanical issues and it runs great every time. I average about 30 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with the 2.0 5spd. It got me through this last year just fine, very reliable carm couldnt ask for better. Performance is even pretty good with the 5spd manual anyway and the handling is great. It has saved me from a couple possible accidents. Mazda knew what they were doing on this one.

Also best car I'VE ever had

by NYDGH from Candor, NY on Sun Nov 02 2008

We bought this in December, '05 for $3,000 at 141k miles. Now has 176k, no noteworthy problems (both CV axles and a some carboned fuel injection sensor issue, or something), runs strong, never left me stranded, 35-37mpg with the 2.0 manual transmission, even the AC still works like new! It is comfortable yet hugs the dips and turns on our country roads.

Love this car!!

by April from Saint Paul, MN on Fri Jan 24 2014

I received this car as a gift from one of my father's friends about a year ago. The car had sat in his driveway for about 6 months and I was worried it wasn't going to be a good car and that I was going to get stuck with a piece of junk. A year later it is running just fine and I have had no major problems. It holds up to the Minnesota weather like A CHAMP! It starts up an the first try even in our -30 degree weather. This car runs so smooth I'm so happy to have such a reliable car.

Meet my needs

by Mazda owner from Hart on Wed Feb 28 2018

Was a good car for the 4 years I had it. No issues not the best car out there but the beast I've owned.

Apealing car, bad reliability

by HLMM from Honduras on Fri Oct 06 2006

Broke four times in 8 months. Last time a hose rip and all tranny oil lost. New tranny required. No less than $2,500 in repairs. no motors problems biggest flaw is the tranny. It?s a shame 'cause is agood looking car.

Does not recommend this car!!

Our Take on the 1998 Mazda 626

Mazda's familiar 626 underwent a complete redesign last fall, but it takes a close eye to recognize the difference.

Whip out the tape measure, however, and you will find that it is bigger in nearly every dimension. The wheelbase is 105.1 inches, and overall length is 186.8, 2.4 inches more than the old car. Most importantly, there is more than enough room inside for four, even five should the need arise. The trunk is larger, too.

The front is nearly a mirror image of the Millenia, Mazda's luxury sport sedan that starts at $28,995 and ranges up to $36,595. The understated styling is successful, but some might think it needs a bit more pizzazz. What counts is the fact that this car is a... Read More