Model Details

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews

Average based on 7 reviews

Superior Engineering, Best Value

by from San Antonio, Texas on May 6, 2007

Great Handling for a large sedan, best suspension in luxury class, agile and dependable, dealer service below sub standar.

99 S320 - Safe, Comfortable, Solid

by from Santa Barbara, CA on November 4, 2008

I've had this car for about 3 months now. I can say that I'm glad I bought it. It is big, solid, quiet and has adequate power. I honestly feel quite safe and will drive it knowing that my chances of surviving an accident are pretty good. It gets good gas mileage for a car this size. Very smooth. If you buy one, join some of the many enthusiast websites for common problems and fixes. Otherwise, you may regret buying this baby. Somewhat expensive to repair if you're not handy. And if you're not handy, knowledge gained from these websites will help you when you take it to a trusted mechanic. So far, the only thing that has gone wrong is the mass air flow sensor - a common problem. Dealer wanted over $400.00 just for the part. I purchased the part from an online parts place for less than half that and installed it in less than 5 minutes. Good as new.

Excellent

by from We live in Coachella Valley on January 26, 2016

We had a 99 500 S, after 2 prior editions. Bought it new, drove it for twelve years. It was the best car we ever had. We took good care of it and it took good care of us. At 125000 miles it still ran like new, but then it gave up it's life to take care of us. We were hit from behind in a collision that totaled the Mercedes and knocked us into another car, but my wife (who had severe spinal problems) and I sustained only minor injuries. The seats didn't break, the doors still opened, but it would've cost far more to repair than it was worth. One of our sadder memories is seeing it on the flatbed, being taken away. Far and away the strongest, most powerful, quietest and most comfortable car we ever had. We can no longer afford such a great car, but I can't say enough good things about it.

BEST S500 EVER (W140)

by from on April 2, 2014

THE RIDE IS AMAZING THE GAS MILEAGE IS GOOD I GET ABOUT 25 ON THE HIGHWAY. THE ONLY THING I WOULD SAY ABOUT THIS CAR IS BUY ONE IN GOOD CONDITION OR YOU WILL ALOT ON REPAIRS

The best car you can ever own.

by from Brooklyn, NY. on April 8, 2015

If you are looking for an extremely safe and reliable car. Forget all others. None can compare to a Mercedes Benz. I have driven Lexus, BMW, Jaguar and even Bently. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! In particular the W126 and more so W140. The amount of engineering and design that went into these vehicles is unparallel to anything on the road then and now. If you can find a Mercedes that has been properly taken care of - you have found a treasure that you will enjoy for years to come.

Greatest car any one will aver drive

by from DENVER COLORADO on September 20, 2009

I HAVE OWNED 6 OF THESE CARS AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM. THE ONLY THING I DO IS PUT SNOW TIRES ON THEM IN THE WINTER CHANGE OIL REGULARLY AND DRIVE THEM LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVEN. I AM A SPEEDER BUT THESE CARS WILL GET YOU TO A PLACE YOU NEED TO BE WITHOUT YOUR NOTICE BECAUSE OF THEIR COMFORT. DON'T EVER GET INTO YOUR GRAVE WITHOUT DRIVING A V12 MERCEDES BENZ BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE NOT FULFILLED LIFE'S DREAMS.

not worth it

by from Canada on November 14, 2007

the resale price is terrible, and all this car does is drink the premium fuel like crazy.