1998 Grand Marquis

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis

$590 - $6,134  MSRP Range
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis

Have You Driven the 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis?

nice

by d from graham, nc on Mon Jan 08 2007

nice car looks good drives nice and roomy would say all in all nice car. i have not heard anyone say anything bad about this car

Fewest repairs of any car I have owned

by inthewoods from Wisconsin on Tue Feb 24 2009

I bought my 1998 Grand Marquis in 2000 with 34,000 miles on it. Since then I have put another 120,000 on it and my only expense other than brakes (once) and tires and oil changes was about $500 in front end work. Oh yes, I had to have the cigarette lighter fixed to keep my cell phone charged. I am now burning about one quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I get as much as 27 mpg on the highway. I also drive a Toyota Corolla and while the Corolla is equally--but not more, dependable, repairs to the Toyota cost more than for the Grand Marquis. And there is, of course, no comparison to the ride, comfort, noise levels nor roominess. While the gas mileage for my Toyota reaches as much as 37 mpg, the Mercury is always my car of choice when driving more than a few hundred miles. My next car? Another Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car.

The Beast

by Auto Turret from Detroit, MI on Wed May 23 2012

Have the LS Ultimate Edition with Precision Trac. Bought this car @ 140K, have now reached 200K with no issues other than wear and tear.. had to have a lot of front end suspension components replaced when first purchased, (tie rods, sway bar links, ball joints) as with any car driven in Michigan! Other than that, have only needed oil changes and wiper blades. Driven a full year through all 4 seasons, here's what I think: Drives smooth. Rear suspension air bags were replaced with springs before I purchased the car, so I do not know how it feels with the air bags. Did not know this at first because the car still rides like a cloud. Surprisingly powerful for it's weight and 14 year old age. Engine literally purrs whereas I notice other cars with same age/miles sound like they're dying. If I've got the AC or heater blowing on medium low, I cannot hear the engine anymore. Engine ridiculously quiet. Haters hated initially when I bought this car until they took a ride. People prefer riding in the GM to the 4 bangers. They enjoy the comfortable ride and roominess. Also the premium sound system is a huge plus, I always get asked "Is that stock sounds?" Yes they are! This thing was made for passenger comfort. The back doors have ashtrays! Win! I'm 5'8 and sleep great in this car when I need to at work. Could not sleep in my old Taurus at all. I may get the leather seats replaced with the plush cloth ones since I'm not really a big fan of leather, because it gets hot in the summer and is cold in the winter. With tinted windows, some aftermarket rims, and some wax, the GM doesn't look so much like your grandpa's car anymore. The woodgrain trim on the interior gives it that extra bit of class. Mine came with an aftermarket sunroof. I'm a small dude, so the radio and climate controls can be a far reach. Actually have to "get up" to change things. Does not bother me one bit because I love the fact I have so much space around me in the drivers seat. I keep both armrests up so the front seat stays in bench mode because it's super easy to throw all my work luggage in the passenger seat every day rather than lug it over a middle console like my old car. I like being able to move around and not touch anything like my door or a middle console with my arms or legs. It doesn't handle too much like a boat, but definitely not like a sportscar either. If you purchased this car, you obviously didn't buy it for sporting. Not bad, as I feel very safe driving, but turns kinda wide compared to smaller cars. Has traction control and ABS so no issues driving in rain or snow. Turn traction control off sometimes in snow just for fun! Depends on who you are. I consider this thing the ultimate driving machine because it suits my driving style perfectly. I'm laid back and relaxed, not sitting up close to the wheel with one white knuckled fist driving and the other fist shaking out the window. This car is not for you! I like the feeling where I put the car into drive and it feels like "the beast is unleashed" rather than just putting her into gear. Think it has something to do with 2 tons of body-on-frame with a big V8 lurching forward, whatever it is, it's definitely not like anything else I've driven. I'm really having a hard time thinking of things I do not like about this car. There really isn't much. My next vehicle will surely be a newer G.M. I want to say gas mileage would be the one thing, I average 18-20 mpg during the winter and 21-22 mpg in the summer months. But since I will not give up my V8 power, feel, sound, and the big body style after having experienced it now, I guess I can't complain about the mpg. Oh, car doesn't have an extra power port, just 1 cigarette lighter port. Cup holders can't hold 32 oz energy drink cans. Doors kind of rattle a bit. Wind noise 60+mph. Pedals don't adjust. All very minor things. The 4.6L V8 200HP package never makes me feel short on power. Jumps off the line pretty nicely and surprises people. And it's nice

wonderful automobile

by Car addict from Greensboro on Sun Sep 08 2013

Bought this '98 Mercury in Good condition with only 89k miles on the odometer. I love this car.its so smooth on the road and drives like a dream.Everything works in the vehicle. It was well pampered by its previous owner.My friends and relatives have given me nothing but compliments when they rode in it.Its a great automobile.

Great Car

by Shawn from Hartford KY on Wed Oct 19 2011

I bought my 98 Grand Marquis with over 200k miles. Thing still runs great. Never had a problem out of it. Interior is real nice and comfortable for long drives. My best car over the years.

Roomy Comfort

by FL Chick from Orlando, FL on Mon Dec 08 2008

This car is very roomy and comfortable and works well for a larger driver and/or passengers. The drivers seat adjusts to a variety of positions to accommodate all size drivers. I find it easy to maneuver and park, even though it is a very large sedan. The trunk is HUGE!

good

by the boss from grand rapids,mi on Thu Sep 06 2012

it run's great down the highway and around town .i love driving grand marquis .like to put shelbygt500 on my 1998 grand marquis.

Most comfortable car I've owned

by Tommyp from Towson,Maryland on Sun Mar 26 2017

Not a fast car but definitely worth what I paid for it. Smooth reliable ride that takes you where you need to go

Grand Old Car

by Content from Arizona on Mon Dec 05 2011

Grand old Merc. GM, w/90,000 mi. 13 yrs. old, never failed or let me down, rides great only expense, tires, batt. oil & libes,,,One set of brakes, one fan blade,3 batterys. Still get 28-30 mi. gal. driving @73 M.P.H. You know, maybe I'll just keep it another 13 yrs! By the way, It's in Az.

Will this thing ever die?

by Vanessa from Janesville on Tue Dec 05 2017

Over 200000 miles and still runs like a champ. Owned for 4 years as of now and it has required the least maintenance of any car I have owned.

Our Take on the 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis

I've been wrong these last few years.

Until very recently, I thought the old bench-seat-and-column-shifter routine was outdated and useless.

My argument: The senior drivers who buy the few remaining cars with this old-fashioned interior don't need bench seats anymore because their offspring have long since bolted, and any passengers would likely ride in the back.

Turns out there's another use for bench seats, one that I had forgotten about.

On a recent Saturday night, I took my girlfriend and her daughter to dinner. On the way back, my girl-friend asked if there was a seatbelt in the center of the Grand Marquis' bench seat. There was. And within moments, she slid over and buckled up. Instinctively... Read More