2003 Mountaineer

2003 Mercury Mountaineer

2003 Mercury Mountaineer

3.8

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer?

best used car I have owned

by Father of three girls from Houston, Texas on Sun Oct 21 2007

We bought our 2003 Mountaneer a year ago. WE have loved it ever since. It is a very smooth ride, and very reliable. I gave it to my wife to drive, because I want her in a reliable vehickle while driving the kids around. I took over the minivan. we reccomended this to our friends, and they went out 2 weeks ago and bought a 2007 Mountaneer because they fell in love with ours.

Best Car I've Owned

by MomOfWeeThree from Oklahoma on Thu Jul 15 2010

I am heartbroken that Ford won't be churning out more of these. As far as SUV's go, for a family of 3 kids this has all we could want. Stylish leather interior is easily wiped down, roomy seating for 7 but comfort seating for 6 (that first row is a bit too tight IMO for 3 kids). Daughter of a mechanic, the tip to a good car is good preventive maintenance. Now these are common to transmission issues with high mileage and mine has been from CA to OK to FL and everywhere in between - MANYYYYYY miles and yes, the trany has been replaced. But she runs like a top. That is part of being an older suv, not just with this model. "Bertha" as I lovingly refer to her is the best car I have ever owned. We put tons of miles on her with 3hr trips to and from Grandma's, vacations and everywhere in between. VERY reasonable on gas. Comfortable for long distance drives for front and back. Granted storage space isn't the best (that's a given with any 3rd row vehicle). But the seats are SIMPLE to lay flat for extra storage (Bulk groceries anyone) and my 5 yr old twins can easily lift and lower them. This is my FAVORITE car. I am on Cars.com because I was looking into a newer one. I would happily purchase this again and plan to.

A great suv.

by Truck Fan from Nazareth,Texas on Sat Jan 15 2011

We bought the mountaineer to replace a blazer.The mountaineer gets just as good of gas mileage as the blazer did.The blazaer just had a six cylinder motor while the mountaineer has a eight cylinder motor.I drove the mountaineer on a trip and it got 23 miles to the gallon on gas.I really like the extra power of the eight cylinder.The mountaineer has plenty of room.It is great in snow.The only thing I really dislike about the mountaineer is the noise the awd makes at times but I heard it is normal.I would probably buy another one.

Love This Vehicle

by SUV Owner from Iowa on Tue Jul 23 2013

I love this vehicle! It is fast, comfortable, feature filled! I've had one of these for about a year, bought it used, and have had 0 problems with it, tires are still amazing, nothing wrong with it at all! I've read some reviews saying they're unreliable and need a lot of repairs and I see those as anomaly's not really the normal! It is hard on gas but it is a V8 and a big SUV so if you don't use it as your main travel vehicle then you need not worry. It is a beast in the snow, which we have a lot of in Iowa. 10 year old car and it still looks brand new, no rust, no visible wear, not sure if that's more of being well taken care of, or it's solidly built and doesn't wear easily! I would recommend this car in a heartbeat!

Love Hate Relationship with my Mountaineer

by Dissapointed SUV lover from Kansas City, MO on Fri Jul 27 2012

We purchased our '03 Mountaineer brand new - we needed the space and have heard many good things about Ford trucks. This is what we loved: leather heated seats, DVD rear entertainment system, AWD, comfortable and quite interior, CD changer, etc. this thing is loaded. Now for the negatives: we are now in our ninth year of ownership and we've put thousands of dollars in high dollar repairs into this vehicle. Multiple brakes, stabilizer sway bar, compressor (may be working on two here soon), a/c leaks, ruins tires at an alarming rate, strange crack that formed in the middle of the back hatch (seen on many older model Mountaineers and Explorers), just to name a few. Pouring at least $1-$2k a year into this vehicle is getting old. Want to get rid of it, but its paid off and very hard to find an decent priced SUV with the same features that we've come to love.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great for the family

by Boston girl from Boston, MA on Tue Mar 18 2014

We bought our Mountaineer used, it was 3 yrs old at the time of purchase. I believe it was a leased vehicle prior to us owning it. It has been a great truck, very reliable, and fits the family well. It has many added extras that we had never had in a vehicle before, now when I go to get another car, I will want these added extras- such as the outside keypad to unlock the doors- a must have for me!!! We have had a great experience with this truck, other than normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, etc). Our truck is now 11 years old, it has 135,000 miles on it. Still going strong!!! :)

Reliable Sharp SUV

by Tara from Michigan on Thu Oct 13 2011

Excellent, reliable vehicle-great for traveling, tailgating, toting family to soccer or friends to Football games!

Comfortable ride

by Kal from Appleton, WI on Sun Jul 23 2017

Loved this truck!!!!! It was comfortable; it was quiet; and it was enough room for my family!!!!!!!!

LOVE my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer!

by caustin963 from Abington, PA on Mon Oct 09 2017

I love this car! I'm so glad I decided to sell my 2014 Hyundai Elantra and purchase this car instead. Don't let it's age fool you, this car has still got it! Goodbye car payment.

One of the worst!

by Loyal Ford Guy from Central, NJ on Thu Dec 02 2010

Bought from dealership used with 48,000 miles. Within 4 months, the CV joints were beginning to fail and would make a serious of loud and disturbing clunks in a slower speed turn. Dealership would not back it under warranty because it was not the engine or transmission (despite me getting a DRIVETRAIN warranty). The alternator also went within one week. I should have known when the battery was dead at the dealership but thought it could've been from sitting. They gave me a new one but I noticed my charge level gauge kept falling, eventually would have stalled engine if I didn't catch it. It's also a heavy SUV; it eats tires and brakes. All in all, had to get rid of it within 6 months because the dealership "couldn't let me drive it off the lot because it was unsafe" yet they wouldn't repair the $6,000 in work it needed under warranty. BTW, steering wheel volume/climate controls failed and needed to be replaced.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2