2003 Mercury Mountaineer consumer reviews

$29,350–$35,200 MSRP range
side view of 2003 Mountaineer Mercury
Explore the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer

Most reliable car ever owned

Great design, driving and comfort inside. Perfect for personal use or families. AWD feature a must and excellent driving in winter weather conditions. Would recommend for anyone looking for a quality, reasonable priced SUV.

3.6

The Honda CRX

It had several flaws wiring being one cruise been the other and the durability of this app front seat As well as the stereo Primarily this CD playerAs well as the information center display is too small

4.1

"Awesome Engine"

Iv'e owned a few Ford Bronco's and Explorer's, good condition Bronco's are hard to find so I started looking for a V8 explorer but couldn't find one in good condition for my price range($5,000) and then I came across my 03 Mercury Mountaineer premier with 96,000 miles and the proven 4.6 V8 engine and it was within my price range. Awesome truck but don't really like all wheel drive, would prefer to lock the hubs and use four wheel but it is what it is. Owned it for a year now and have put 10,000 miles on it, last week the Overdrive started not working and tranny started to slip then one time it just went into neutral on it''s own, OH NO RIGHT!!! Well after bringing it to my trusted mechanic he tells me I need a new torch converter and transmission, I'm like f**ked cause I'm not rich enough to just throw $5000 out the window so now I have to bend over and take it like a man. At least I get a three year or 30,000 mile warranty.

4.4

LOVE my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer!

I love this car! I'm so glad I decided to sell my 2014 Hyundai Elantra and purchase this car instead. Don't let it's age fool you, this car has still got it! Goodbye car payment.

3.1

good starter suv

I had plenty of storage space and i loved having the third row seat that was easy to fold down,it was very stylish as well.

Comfortable ride

Loved this truck!!!!! It was comfortable; it was quiet; and it was enough room for my family!!!!!!!!

4.4

Great for the family

We bought our Mountaineer used, it was 3 yrs old at the time of purchase. I believe it was a leased vehicle prior to us owning it. It has been a great truck, very reliable, and fits the family well. It has many added extras that we had never had in a vehicle before, now when I go to get another car, I will want these added extras- such as the outside keypad to unlock the doors- a must have for me!!! We have had a great experience with this truck, other than normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, etc). Our truck is now 11 years old, it has 135,000 miles on it. Still going strong!!! :)

1.0

Dishonest and Untrustworthy Dealer

Made an appointment to test drive a vehicle one day in advance. Owner advised that the business did not open until 3:00 pm and to arrive at that time. Arrived promptly at 3:00 pm for the test drive. Was advised by owner that he had just sold the SUV I was scheduled to test drive to the woman sitting right in front of me, wasting my time and money. If the business owner is this dishonest and cannot be trusted to keep an appointment that he committed to, I certainly DO NOT RECOMMEND that anyone trust him with their hard earned money!!!!

Love This Vehicle

I love this vehicle! It is fast, comfortable, feature filled! I've had one of these for about a year, bought it used, and have had 0 problems with it, tires are still amazing, nothing wrong with it at all! I've read some reviews saying they're unreliable and need a lot of repairs and I see those as anomaly's not really the normal! It is hard on gas but it is a V8 and a big SUV so if you don't use it as your main travel vehicle then you need not worry. It is a beast in the snow, which we have a lot of in Iowa. 10 year old car and it still looks brand new, no rust, no visible wear, not sure if that's more of being well taken care of, or it's solidly built and doesn't wear easily! I would recommend this car in a heartbeat!

3.6

Love Hate Relationship with my Mountaineer

We purchased our '03 Mountaineer brand new - we needed the space and have heard many good things about Ford trucks. This is what we loved: leather heated seats, DVD rear entertainment system, AWD, comfortable and quite interior, CD changer, etc. this thing is loaded. Now for the negatives: we are now in our ninth year of ownership and we've put thousands of dollars in high dollar repairs into this vehicle. Multiple brakes, stabilizer sway bar, compressor (may be working on two here soon), a/c leaks, ruins tires at an alarming rate, strange crack that formed in the middle of the back hatch (seen on many older model Mountaineers and Explorers), just to name a few. Pouring at least $1-$2k a year into this vehicle is getting old. Want to get rid of it, but its paid off and very hard to find an decent priced SUV with the same features that we've come to love.