2009 Cooper Clubman

4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Love Me, Love My Car

by Little Wing from Tallahassee, FL on February 10, 2010

Advice - Get the Turbo Charged S engine and the 6 speed manual transmission. I never knew driving could be so much fun. Sometimes I keep driving around to avoid arriving at my destination. Pros - great gas mileage (as long as you stop at your destination) Fun, fun, fun! You look cool driving it. People stop you in parking lots to talk about your car. Lot's of options - dress it up, or keep it subtle. Other MINI drivers wave to you. The gas pedal doesn't stick and the brakes stop the car. It has a bonnet and a boot. 0 to happy in 60 seconds. Hugs curves. Excellent maneuverability. Learning a new skill - how to pack light. My teenagers like me again, but they still don't get to drive it. Free oil changes and service for 3 years or 36K miles at a MINI service center. 24 hour roadside assistance. Plenty of leg room in front and back. Cons - You may have travel 200+ miles to a MINI dealer for service. Built in Sat Nav (GPS) is $2,000! Why? Windshields crack easily. I have replaced mine twice in the six months since I bought the car. Premium gas - but the mileage is so good that it's not a problem. I get 4 times the miles/gallon on premium than I got on running regular in my old minivan. My husband, who strongly opposed my determination to buy this car, is always out driving it. :-/

It's brand new, so...

by How many fun cars for less than $25k? from Indian Trail, NC on April 13, 2009

I just took delivery 2 days ago, so obviously the afterglow of new car ownership may cloud my impartiality. Having made said disclaimer, let me state that thus far, I LOVE the gas mileage (for 100 miles around my suburban landscape so far I've averaged 34 mpg), the handling is indeed go-kart-like, and the looks are way cool. I purposely did not test drive the turbo because I knew I would simply have to have it. However, the regularly aspirated engine does a commendable job. As long as you get the revs between 3-4k before upshifts, you can accelerate suprisingly quickly. Perhaps MINI's stated 0-60 times are overly cautious, or maybe the car just feels quicker than it really is. Regardless, unless you intend to drag-race on public streets, who cares? The interior is cool and comfortable. Love the dual sunroof. Love the sport seats and slick-shifting 6-speed manual. Radio controls are indeed, as others have suggested, too complicated, so the steering wheel mounted controls are strongly suggested. My only gripe at this point is that I simply cannot get the universal remote to open my garage door. I spent an hour messing with it yesterday to no avail. My wife's Honda seems to have no trouble learning the code, so I'm not sure what the deal is. My local dealer was not willing to deal. Based on the number of people in their showroom versus the Nissan, Honda, Volvo, and Chevy dealers we visited, I can see why. They seem to have no trouble moving these cars. This being the case, with the options on our car, the price was a little more than I expected to pay. To pay more for a well-equipped MINI than a much larger Accord is a bit of a shock. However, I promise you will never walk out into your gagage and smile wistfully at the appliance-like vehicles we considered before settling on the MINI. Will I feel this way a year from now? Here's hoping. FYI, I was not allowed to post a review without rating the reliability. Obviously, with 100 miles on the clock, it's a meaningless rating.

More room but still a Mini

by ctwin60 from Seattle, WA on October 20, 2011

I owned a 2005 Mini Cooper and like it but wanted more room so I decided to purchase the Clubman. I bought it used but not from a Mini dealer so the price was great. It is a 6 speed and gets 40 miles to the gallon! If you want more pick up I would buy the S model but this model suites me fine. There is plenty of room and storage in the back. I like the sport package with the heated seats and so far have had no problems but with this Mini just like my last one it is a good idea to use a gas additive every 3000 miles since the gas in the USA is not great.

Mini Great

by Clap from Wisconsin on May 16, 2009

Great gas mileage, great styling, good performance. We get approx 36 mpg in combined driving. If you want great gas mileage, but don't want to give up styling (Toyota, Honda)this is your car!

Fun, fun, fun!

by Mini lover from Boston, MA on October 2, 2010

This car is a blast to drive! I would recommend it to anyone. It's not the smoothest ride in the world, but for what you get for the money, it's so fun, reasonably priced and room to do everything you want with fabulous gas mileage. I want to share!

Very fun drive.... I'll miss this car!

by Clubman club member from Saint Paul, MN on September 3, 2017

This is the car I will now compare all other cars to. Stylish. Roomy. Very fun to drive! Not only was it a blast, it was a work horse. I have loaded it with 2x4's (several could fit inside), put a 18'5" cedar-strip canoe on top (that would stop traffic), and carried my bike on the roof rack. Dang... I miss it already.

Perfect in the road

by Juan nieves from Killeen tx on March 16, 2018

Comfort car very ,beautiful style ,I like how it on the road ,perfect ,run fast ,economy I loked fun car for the family and friends. Hi

Least reliable car I've owned

by Nordestada from Lewisville, TX on May 12, 2017

Fun car to drive; great gas mileage; good/fun looks and attention to detail interior, though some cheap materials abound. Radio controls are hard to deal with while driving, but the sound was good. We were disappointed with the reliability. Just little annoying engine component problems like pumps. Expensive to service.

Does not recommend this car!!

Fun Car - requires frequent maintenance

by MC501 from Upland, CA on August 24, 2017

First, I love this car. It's so much fun to drive, it makes up for its shortcomings. THE GOOD: Fun, sporty, fuel economy, reliability, comfortable, the car handles better than you'll expect and corners like a rally car. Super fun to drive! THE BAD: Cup Holder Placement. Window Switch Placement. The car is reliable, but often their are warning lights for any number of small nuisance problems. I felt like I was having to have things fixed too often (nothing that stopped the car from working - just little nagging things). BOTTOM LINE: I would own this car again. Like I said, the quirkiness aside, the joy of driving it makes the car worth owning.

My next auto purchase.

by Bamagirl from Baltimore on September 18, 2017

I like the style and roomyness of this car. As a single person this is perfect size for me. Parking will be easy.

1 2