2011 Leaf

4.1 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.3 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Welcome to the 21st Century!

by StellarRat from Salem OR on April 27, 2012

I've had my 2011 Leaf for a month now. It's my only vehicle. I admit that I REALLY had to think about whether or not to buy this car because of the range limitations, but after analyzing my driving habits, reading some reviews and information, and looking at how much my old car was costing me I decided to go for it. Since then I've had no regrets. Let's talk about Leaf economics: So far I've spent a grand total of $4.25 for electricity to drive about 600+ miles. In my previous car I was spending $170 a month in gasoline and probably another $50 in maintenance (if you averaged it out per month.) In the NW (where I live) off-peak power is $.044 / kwh (I have time of use billing plan) and it's mostly generated by hydro and a various renewables (wind, etc...) So, as you can see it's saving me about $220 / month. In addition there is a $7500 Federal tax credit for this car. Range anxiety, nope! I've taken this car to every family event, errand and work daily. Not a single problem with range or anything else. I don't use a 220v charger I just plug it in at night (the charger starts at 10 PM) to the 110v charger it comes with. That's gives me about 9+ hours of charge time per night. That is enough to bring it to at least 45%, but since it is rare to drive more than 40 miles per day for me, it's at full charge every morning. If I need to travel further there are charging stations all over the major cities here and a network of fast DC chargers are being installed on the major highways and in the "junction" cities around state. These bring the car to 80% charge in 1/2 hour. Look up the "Green Highway Project" for more about this and maps, etc... So, I'm trying to figure out why everyone is so negative on range with these cars. I've seen nothing but savings! And have had NO issues with range. Finally, the car as, well, a car. Putting aside electric power stuff, this car is a match for any other compact to mid-size vehicle on the road. It's got plenty of space for four adults. Lots of cargo room. It rides nicely and is nearly silent at lower speeds. The acceleration is more than adequate, in fact I think it would have given my G35 coupe a run for the money up to 30 or 40 mph. It handles well. Steering is a bit mushy, but OK under normal conditions. The sound system is good. Accessories are near luxury car standards with nav, Carwings, steering wheel controls, etc... There are also some cool Carwings internet features and the ability to control/monitor some of the car functions from a cellphone or a desktop web browser. Out of the six cars I've bought in my lifetime this is without a doubt, the happiest I've been with a new car.

Predictable 2,000 miles a month without gasoline

by Brian Keez from Fontana, CA on March 14, 2012

After driving the car for six months and putting over 13,000 miles on it, the car is excellent. A well planned-out electric vehicle that I get full use out of. The charging station location feature is great. The remote climate control is needed and important. Charging at home, over night is a wonderful change in lifestyle. I needed extra cushion for my lower-back and elbow on the center arm-rest, which is my only negative on the interior, but I need those in my last car too. My last new car was a 350Z, so the I'm not into four-door hatchbacks, but all electric is an acceptable trade-off. Performance off the line is excellent and there is more than enough power to merge onto the southern California hi-ways (fast). It's not a high performance car, but surpasses the typical economy car. I constantly drive 2,000 miles per month, half of my fuel (electricity) is public and free-of-charge. The half that I pay has been about 400 kwh or $50 per month. So $50 per 1,000 miles without using the lower night rates because I just haven't bothered calling my electric company to change my rates. Full insurance coverage is less than $80/month.. I needed a new car and I would have had the same payment + $200 in gasoline, so the value is there. Excellent car and I will never go back to a gasoline vehicle.

9 months of joy!

by Electric Car Enthusiast from Ft.Worth, TX on December 20, 2011

I have owned my Leaf for 9 months and have loved every minute of it. Just try to imagine how it feels to say "I have not purchased gasoline or had my oil changed in 9 months!" Every morning I leave my garage with a "full tank" so to speak. Because I have a wall-mounted charger i the garage it only takes a few seconds to plug the Leaf in every evening when I get home from work. The "range anxiety" that people talk about will disappear in a few weeks of driving the car. As long as you can charge at home every day and as long as you drive less than 40-50 miles per day, you'll probably never even give it a thought. I believe a lot of people over-estimate the distances they drive. I have experimented and asked people at work questions like "how far is it to the Mall?" Many people replied with answers ranging from 10 to 20 miles. In reality, it is 6 miles. So when you finally start to understand how far things really are (or aren't) then the range of the Leaf suddenly looks a lot longer. I have let about 20 people drive my car over the last 9 months. Every single one has been surprised, if not blown away, by the acceleration of the vehicle. It exceeds all expectations. I've even been challenged at a few traffic lights and won. I'm not big into being "green." I mean, I'm not against it, but it was certainly not my motivating factor in my purchase. I love the high-tech feel of the car. It really does feel like a car of the 21st century. I also love the money I save on gasoline, and the convenience of being able to fill up at home. Once you own a Leaf for a month or so, you'll discover something odd when you ride with friends in their gasoline cars. You'll realize for the first time how smelly they are, how much they vibrate, and how noisy they are. The best analogy I can think of are smokers. I've been told by people who quite smoking after several years that once exposed to cigarette smoke again they will suddenly realize for the first time how stinky it is. So now when I ride in a friends' gasoline car I really feel like I might as well be riding in a steam-powered car or some other obsolete technology.

Great commuting or second car

by GaryL from Seattle, WA on September 21, 2012

I've had a Nissan Leaf for 16 months and have driven it about 16,000 miles so far. It's a perfect car for commuting and driving around town. My commute is 45 miles round trip per day which is more than most people in America and I only need to charge to 80% on a typical day which extends battery lifespan. It is not for those that commute more than 50 miles per day round trip. Look at the Volt or just a hybrid if you drive more than 50 miles per day. The car accelerates quickly, is super quiet, and handles very well. It has a lot of nice premium features like Bluetooth, navigation system, and electronic stability control that you just don't see in subcompacts. It can seat 5 comfortably. While it cannot be an only car for most people, it can be an everyday car for a 2-car household that has a gasoline car for longer trips. A garage or carport is needed so you have a reliable place to park it every night for charging. If you live in an area like Seattle where there is a growing public charging infrastructure, you can take it on longer trips.

An amazing car

by T. Gordi from San Carlos, CA on November 24, 2011

We have owned a Leaf since July 2011 and we love it! It drives very nice, always ready to jump on your command. It is very quiet. By owning this car, I don't sponsor governments I don't like, keeping the "gas" money in the country. I don't pollute the air (have solar panels creating the electricity that drives the car). And we enjoy driving the car. Thank you Nissan, you did a fantastic job!

Premium Luxury Ride Quality

by ENIAC from San Diego, CA on August 17, 2011

I've owned my LEAF for 8 months and nearly 6,000 miles at this point. I'm truly impressed with this vehicle. The technology is amazing. The ride is planted because the battery pack creates a low center of gravity. Also, it's very quite. Those two attributes inspire a luxury feel to the vehicle. I like the open feel of the interior. Being a completely new vehicle, in every way, I expected we would have some early adopter issues. But thus far it's operated flawlessly.

Never go back to gas

by Puppy Car from OC, CA on January 2, 2012

Greatest buy I've ever made. The only star I reserved is that I think the cabin can be made bigger if Nissan is able to fully utilize the benefit of electric power train. There is still a lot of room under the hood. If some space can be moved to the passenger space, it will be perfect. there is no engine in the world can beat the comfort and the immediate response of electric motor. The car is in complete quiet even in full throttle. I love that the most.

Better than expected

by EV Early Adopter from Denver, Colorado on December 26, 2011

I've wanted an EV for years and this car is the ticket. After 9000 miles, the best way to describe the experience is to say... Gas is so old fashioned. The Leaf is quick, quiet, and so very smooth. All the little things don't seem like much until you look back. The handling is nicely basic and low slung. Pre-heating and cooling on a timer or with an internet click. Always full when you want to go. No oil changes. $3.00 of electricity will move it about 150 miles. The perfect commuter.

Pleasure to drive

by First EV from South Central Pennsylvania on December 13, 2012

I love this car!! So easy to drive and comfortable. No problem on range with the short trips that we have to make. Kept my 2005 Prius to use for long trips.

no-brainer

by spaceman from south carolin on March 2, 2014

If your daily drive is 80 miles or so - like most people, it is a no-brainer to lease this - LEAF lease = $199 a month - I save $160 (net of electricity costs) a month on gas, oil changes etc. So, the net monthly cost is about $39 - you do have to put down $2,000 - but that's about $60 a month over 36 months - so, you're driving a new, fully warranted car for 3 years at a net cost of about $99 a month. I have 14K miles on my Leaf now and it has been flawless - better pick-up than a gas car & super quiet. I live in South Carolina - the average full charge is about 100 miles.

1 2 3 4