2005 Xterra

2005 Nissan Xterra

2005 Nissan Xterra

4.5

Have You Driven the 2005 Nissan Xterra?

Works hard, Plays hard.

by Mobius from Fort Bragg NC on Thu Apr 05 2012

This is one solid SUV. I bought my Xterra SE '05 in '11 with over 100k miles on it for at the time a decent price. I love the tough look exterior, and the straight forward easy to navigate, easy to clean interior. I didnt buy this SUV with the intent to show off a pretty vehicale, I wanted an SUV that can work like a dog and can play like a dog! Whenever I needed to move things around there was always plenty of space inside once I laid down the seats. it helps that the back of the seats are tough plastics with rails and tie down points for ease of use. When it came down to playing in the backroads, only once have I gotten stuck bad enough to get pulled out. But that was because I was in about 4FT of water. After being pulled out I had no trouble driving back home! I dont regret buying this SUV and would recomend it to anyone who loves the outdoors, especially to those who drive in the city. For its size, I can better navigate through a parking lot than my little coupe I had. The only complaint I have so far is the gas, 16 city, and on a flat road 60MPH steady, i can reach 28mpg. With a light foot, its not so bad.

Uses car for Off-roading

Not too shabby

by Mr. Awesome from Denver on Wed Jul 25 2007

the '05 Xterra is definantly an overall great SUV, however, the interior could be much better. For starters, the back seats have very limited leg room, and theres no A/C in the back. Other than that, this SUV is an overall great vehicle.

Dependable

by BB Experience from Houston, TX on Tue Apr 10 2012

This is a reliable SUV and you can get lots of miles out of it. Stick with what works and stay away from American cars.

Off Roaders Dream!

by BigRedX from Southern California on Wed Dec 04 2013

These Xterras are built very solid! Extremely capable off roaders and can really take a beating. Lots of room and cargo tie downs. Seats fold up and give tons of space. I have driven mine 100s of miles in off road mountain trails in all types of conditions and my Xterra has gotten out of some very tough terrain. Great values compared to SUVs with similar capabilities.

AWESOME TRUCK!!!!

by Bmac from Richmond Va on Thu Sep 07 2006

I have had my OR Xterra 4x4 for approx 6 months now, and I love it as much today as the day I bought it. I have had it off road only twice, but was very impressed with its manners and ability in the dirt. I had a 04 xterra and the new one is head and shoulders above the older style. More power, better road manners and nicer interior/exterior than the 04. The OR is a bit beefier with the bilsteins, just a tougher looking and equipped truck. I am so happy with it so far, I have only the best things to say about it. If you want one, I suggest you get one, you'll not be disappointed!!!!

05 X

by Kooch from Chester county, PA on Tue Feb 09 2010

i bought a 2005 Xterra S 4x4 in July of 2009 and i've loved it everyday! I live in the Philly area and this winter has been filled with lots of snow so far and this truck got me everywhere!!! Handled the snow quite well, i was passing other suv's on hills as if there was no snow. The only recomendation i have is that try to get one with VDC, Vehicle Dynamics Control, it's basically traction control. It would be quite helpful if you go out after the plow trucks come through and one of your rear wheels are on some snow and they slip a bit. In the summer i took it mudding and had a TON of fun. and took it on a few trips to the beach and had more than enough room to carry everyone's stuff. It's a great SUV for the money, especially great for a college kid like me in the NE. It's a super tough truck and inside, there's not much to it, which is good because that's less that can break. Overall i'm more than satisifed with my purchase, but wish i would have gotten one with VDC, but oh well. Oh before i forget, if you often have things in the back like i do, i would recomend getting a retractable cargo cover.

Xterra Offroad

by Xterra from on Fri Jan 31 2014

Powerful, big trunk, good 4x4, bad in snow in rear drive back end comes out too easy, good in snow with 4x4. Soft brake pedal feel.

Love this car!

by carguy from Chicago, IL on Wed Aug 02 2006

This is one zippy SUV, the ride is a little rough but very responsive. My only complaint is the material in the cargo area, packages tend to slide around on the hard plastic.

Great for city and offroad

by Happy Driver from Pittsburgh on Thu Nov 09 2006

I've had my '05 XTerra for about a year and a half and love it. It's easy to maneuver in city traffic, has great pickup, and has performed well when I've had it offroad as well. Before buying it, I read a of other reviews, and one complaint a lot of drivers had was that the seat length was a little short. If you're shorter, like me, this is actually a big plus! I do wish it were about a foot longer, as I've had to wedge a few loads of lumber out the front window, but otherwise the wide, boxy cargo area is great. The only problem I've had is a lot of under-the-hood squeaking - apparently there's a non-recall repair bulletin out for a plastic bushing repair that can be done, though I haven't gotten around to it yet. Overall, it's a pleasure to drive all the time.

Still going strong after 12 years

by nosogirl from Charlotte, NC on Tue May 30 2017

Still driving my 2005 Nissan Xterra. Have had virtually no issues with the car as I maintain it regularly. Dealership is always surprised how "new" my "old" vehicle seems. If it wasn't for the fact that Nissan no longer makes the vehicle, I would most likely have purchased another one as my next new car.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2005 Nissan Xterra

One of my favorite SUVs has become even better.

Last fall, Nissan introduced the second generation of its compact Xterra for 2005, which continues as a true truck-based sport utility designed for the kind of rugged off-road driving that I enjoy.

It returns for 2006 with no significant changes, since it was just redone.

The redesign of the Xterra coincided with the makeover of the Nissan Frontier pickup, upon which the Xterra is based. For 2005, both vehicles got extensive changes, including a new chassis that is related to the one used for the full-size Titan pickup, as well as the full-size Armada and midsize Pathfinder sport utilities.

For the Frontier and Xterra, which are considered compact trucks, the... Read More