2005 Xterra

2005 Nissan Xterra

2005 Nissan Xterra

4.5

Have You Driven the 2005 Nissan Xterra?

Works hard, Plays hard.

by Mobius from Fort Bragg NC on Thu Apr 05 2012

This is one solid SUV. I bought my Xterra SE '05 in '11 with over 100k miles on it for at the time a decent price. I love the tough look exterior, and the straight forward easy to navigate, easy to clean interior. I didnt buy this SUV with the intent to show off a pretty vehicale, I wanted an SUV that can work like a dog and can play like a dog! Whenever I needed to move things around there was always plenty of space inside once I laid down the seats. it helps that the back of the seats are tough plastics with rails and tie down points for ease of use. When it came down to playing in the backroads, only once have I gotten stuck bad enough to get pulled out. But that was because I was in about 4FT of water. After being pulled out I had no trouble driving back home! I dont regret buying this SUV and would recomend it to anyone who loves the outdoors, especially to those who drive in the city. For its size, I can better navigate through a parking lot than my little coupe I had. The only complaint I have so far is the gas, 16 city, and on a flat road 60MPH steady, i can reach 28mpg. With a light foot, its not so bad.

Uses car for Off-roading

364,000 miles and counting

by Morris413 from Kingsland, TX on Wed Nov 22 2017

We bought this car new and currently have 364,000 miles on it. We have driven it everywhere. Through snow, sand, mud, over mountains and to the beach. It has never left us stranded. I have nothing but good things to say about this vehicle. IMHO, Nissan should still be making them.

Off Roaders Dream!

by BigRedX from Southern California on Wed Dec 04 2013

These Xterras are built very solid! Extremely capable off roaders and can really take a beating. Lots of room and cargo tie downs. Seats fold up and give tons of space. I have driven mine 100s of miles in off road mountain trails in all types of conditions and my Xterra has gotten out of some very tough terrain. Great values compared to SUVs with similar capabilities.

05 X

by Kooch from Chester county, PA on Tue Feb 09 2010

i bought a 2005 Xterra S 4x4 in July of 2009 and i've loved it everyday! I live in the Philly area and this winter has been filled with lots of snow so far and this truck got me everywhere!!! Handled the snow quite well, i was passing other suv's on hills as if there was no snow. The only recomendation i have is that try to get one with VDC, Vehicle Dynamics Control, it's basically traction control. It would be quite helpful if you go out after the plow trucks come through and one of your rear wheels are on some snow and they slip a bit. In the summer i took it mudding and had a TON of fun. and took it on a few trips to the beach and had more than enough room to carry everyone's stuff. It's a great SUV for the money, especially great for a college kid like me in the NE. It's a super tough truck and inside, there's not much to it, which is good because that's less that can break. Overall i'm more than satisifed with my purchase, but wish i would have gotten one with VDC, but oh well. Oh before i forget, if you often have things in the back like i do, i would recomend getting a retractable cargo cover.

AWESOME TRUCK!!!!

by Bmac from Richmond Va on Thu Sep 07 2006

I have had my OR Xterra 4x4 for approx 6 months now, and I love it as much today as the day I bought it. I have had it off road only twice, but was very impressed with its manners and ability in the dirt. I had a 04 xterra and the new one is head and shoulders above the older style. More power, better road manners and nicer interior/exterior than the 04. The OR is a bit beefier with the bilsteins, just a tougher looking and equipped truck. I am so happy with it so far, I have only the best things to say about it. If you want one, I suggest you get one, you'll not be disappointed!!!!

Still going strong after 12 years

by nosogirl from Charlotte, NC on Tue May 30 2017

Still driving my 2005 Nissan Xterra. Have had virtually no issues with the car as I maintain it regularly. Dealership is always surprised how "new" my "old" vehicle seems. If it wasn't for the fact that Nissan no longer makes the vehicle, I would most likely have purchased another one as my next new car.

Great power for a 6 cyl.

by Toddtv from Shakopee, mn on Mon Dec 24 2018

I liked the stance and the roominess. Plenty of cargo space. Plastic interior was great for what they made this car for. Was never meant to be a luxury vehicle but a great utilitarian vehicle. Great on and off road and the 4wd was the best. This was the first year production of the new 4.0L V6 which it had it problems one being the catalytic converters. At a replacement cost for OEM of $7-800 each was not cheap. I decided to go a cheaper route and was met with another demise of the cats. The computer on this thing didn’t like the cheaper version. So I recommend that you replace with factory new or used. I changed them again with a set of used factory ones from a newer xterra for a third of the cost and had no problems. I think they solved the cat problem in newer years but not sure. Another thing is the transmission and radiator. On some of them the radiator cracks and dumps coolant into the transmission and wrecks it immediately, mine had a rebuilt transmission and an updated radiatior when I bought it saving me about a $3-4000 price tag. I knew this before I bought it and only bought it because of the price and the fact that the repair was already done.

Gotta love that engine!

by Loving the roar of the engine from San Diego, CA on Thu Dec 20 2007

I test drove this car first and no others could compare to the amazing roar of the engine, which pretty much sold me on it. My passengers have a rough time getting in and out of the back seat, due to the weird door design, but they make do, and enjoy the head room. It does handle a little rough, but I enjoy that, especially when going over curbs! While it looks big, it fits easily into most spots. My biggest issue with it is the gas mileage, usually about 12 MPG City and 17 MPG Freeway. Luckily, I work for a company that pays for my gas, so I don't experience the bang to my wallet, but still feel bad for not having a more fuel efficient vehicle.

Fun SUV

by Xterra Guy from Ohio on Tue Aug 13 2013

I purchased the Xterra new in 2005. It has been a great car to drive due to its ample power and spacious interior. I have the 4wd model and it is great in the snow,...most of the time i don't even need to put the vehicle into 4wd. I have had absolutely no problems with rust or any wear and tear issues on the interior, although i'm obsessive about upkeep. However, i did have the all to common issue with the radiator breaking and leaking into the transmission around 95,000 miles. Fortunately, I caught the issue very early and was able to replace the radiator and have the transmission flushed to prevent any damage. I have driven the vehicle thousands of miles since the initial problem and have not experienced any new problems. The car is a great and good-looking car to own!

My first SUV also my first 4X4

by Outdoor Enthusiast from Winter Springs, FL on Wed Apr 30 2008

It's a very fun vehicle to drive. The only downside would be the gas milage. It's rated 16-21 so I'm getting 16.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2005 Nissan Xterra

One of my favorite SUVs has become even better.

Last fall, Nissan introduced the second generation of its compact Xterra for 2005, which continues as a true truck-based sport utility designed for the kind of rugged off-road driving that I enjoy.

It returns for 2006 with no significant changes, since it was just redone.

The redesign of the Xterra coincided with the makeover of the Nissan Frontier pickup, upon which the Xterra is based. For 2005, both vehicles got extensive changes, including a new chassis that is related to the one used for the full-size Titan pickup, as well as the full-size Armada and midsize Pathfinder sport utilities.

For the Frontier and Xterra, which are considered compact trucks... Read More