1998 Oldsmobile Achieva

My best free car

by from Western Massachusetts (far from Beantown) luckily on May 4, 2011

I was given this car by a family member after divorce left me with 2 200,000+ mile vehicles. (One even had a hole in the floor!) When I took possession of this car it had 40,000 miles and was 3 yrs old. It had been declared "totaled" because someone had broken all of the windows and damaged every body panel. (Lover's quarrel). My brother bought it from the insurance company, had it repaired and gave it to me. I have now had it for 10 years, 100,000 more miles, and other than a head gasket leak (now repaired), it has been a really decent car. It has a 6 cyl engine, drives and shifts smoothly, has excellent pickup, and gets 30 mpg. It is a fairly ugly car, but as I say, especially considering the price, (free), it is beautiful to me and I will remember it fondly! It is still doing ok so I hope it will last longer-at least until gas prices go down ($4 now-5/11).