2000 Alero

$187 - $4,203  MSRP Range
2000 Oldsmobile Alero

3.2

3 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2000 Oldsmobile Alero?

I know why they stopped making these.

by neveroldsmobileagain from Jacksonville, Florida on Fri Mar 25 2011

First and foremost I will say is I just got rear-ended and my drivers side got hit while driving my alero.. And I walked away alive. So I do have to give that to Oldsmobile, bc If I had been in a smaller car, I probably wouldn't have been as lucky. But from the second I got this thing all the issues I had were things that if you had maintained this vehicle to perfection, they still wouldve broken. All the issues were things that oldsmobile didn't think through and didn't test on this car. The hazard switch which is also wired to the headlights was made to stay on all the time, so it burned out.. along with burning out the headlights. The security lock system sometimes doesn't read your key. The fabric on the dashboard peels because of heat. The cruise control stops work, along with the power mirrors. The AC barely worked on 1,2, and 3... if you google these issues they are ones that almost everyone was having. DON'T BUY THIS CAR. It runs and picks up great on the highway, but it's not enough to deal with the hassles of all the things you'll need to fix on this car.

Does not recommend this car!!

It is a fine car but there were better deals

by Albert from L.A. on Tue Apr 07 2009

I like the car. I have it for almost 10 years and still looks good an rides nicely. It had some problems; wheel bearings, alternator, water leaks, harmonic balancer, faulty batery, timing sensor. Nothing to brag about and shows why GM is in trouble but despite its unreliabilty I like the car ride, looks and comfort. Looking back I realize that there were beter options in 2000 when I bought it new but I do not complain. I hope it lasts another couple of years.

GOOD CAR/ SOME PROBLEMS

by DAVER from on Fri May 01 2009

PURCHASED NEW , HAVE HAD SOME PROBLEMS, DASHBOARD WRINKLED, BLOWER SWITCH DOESNT WORK ON LOW, GEAR SHIFT BROKEN, HAZARD / TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM, POWER STEERING HAS BEEN VERY PROBLEMATIC, MAJOR ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN GOOD AND HAS BEEN RELIABLE. THE 4 CYL HAS BEEN RELIABLE, I LIKE THE CAR BUT I HAVENT BOUGHT A GM SINCE.

Dependable with maintenance

by Ashy G from Omaha, NE on Wed Aug 04 2010

My 2000 Olds Alero was originally a program vehicle and had 18,000 miles on it when I bought in 2001. After almost nine years it now has 145,000 miles on it. Aside from a few problems, I've been very happy with it and plan to keep driving it until it dies. During my ownership I've encountered the following: -Fuel pump quit and had to be replaced. -Periodically feels like it loses power as if its trying to shift gears but can't. -Power windows have been fixed multiple times (drivers side 3 times, passenger side 2 times). -Hazard light button depressed all the way into the dash. Dash had to be removed in order to replace. -Dash upholstery curled up from heat, so it was replaced with an after market dash cover. -Dome light fixture fell down and had to be re-affixed to roof. -Fan speeds 1 and 2 do not work but 3, 4, and 5 do. -Plastic cover around trunk latch broke off. Other than that, the fuel pump is the only really serious issue I've had. The power mirrors, power drivers seat, AC, and heater all work fine. The engine seems solid. Need to have the periodic power loss or shifting hesitation checked, but the transmission has always been fine. Overall, I think it is a solid high school or college car. The only difference I would recommend is a four door instead of a two door.

My car is a used one

by mo_thev6 from NewJersey on Wed Jul 25 2007

I have one minor thing to say , and that is the tires are very expensive. But besides that i take care of it and give a tune up and change oil as we supposed to and i use great gas and put additives to clean injector. Let me tell you this car is great car... it quick when you need it. just take care of it, well ok so the fan works in medium and hi and thats it. that ok because with windows open and a moonroof why would I need the ac. Whats the purpose of the moon roof seriously. enjoy its a great car, just the tires are so expensive.. they say 50k miles tires but last 20k to 25k. whats the deal with that

Extended Warranty is a Life Saver

by Ironhide from Saskatoon, Canada on Wed Aug 01 2007

Good: the 3.4L V6 is very powerful and is beautiful for passing vehicles. The interior has almost a fighter plane cockpit feel to it which I really like. The two tone interior also gives it a very nice look. It has lots of trunk space and gets over 30mpg on the highway. The Bad: GM seriously messed up on this design of this vehicel. It has serious issues with leaks. I have had engine seal, oil pan and head gasket leaks. The windshield leaked causing water to come in the passenger side during heavy rain. Also had under the hood fuse box replaced twice due to water corrosion. In addition, I have had 3 blower motors replaced, ignition switch twice, power steering gear, brakes pads x 3, brake rotors x 2. Thank goodness I had extended warranty which covered the majority of these repairs. Estimated repairs were in the $7k range. Extended warranty only cost me $1500 so it paid for itself several times over. Other problems include paint peeling on bumper and wind leeking in on the passenger side. Believe me the wind leek is not that good when you are driving negative degree temperatures. The passenger side is very hard to keep warm in the vehicle. This all happened in less than 120k on the vehicle. The majority of problems were at less than 80K. Buyer beware.

Does not recommend this car!!

Solid, dependable, not too flashy

by young working professional from New Haven, CT on Sat Oct 23 2010

This car has been very reliable, I now have more than 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. I've had to perform all the suggested maintenance, but there haven't been any real surprises. No major mechanical issues at all. I'm pretty happy with it.

Electrical Problems

by Alero owner from MN on Sun May 04 2008

If you purchase an Alero you will have to battle with the security system not letting you start your car and the window regulator's stop working so you can't use your power windows. Also the interior is poor quality and will warp over time.

Does not recommend this car!!

Too many problems, but engines been good

by yoshi from Williamston, MI on Sun Nov 30 2008

I have 154,000 miles on my car. The engine has actually been very good, no problems. It's alot of other things that have gone bad. I've replaced the brakes quite a few times, the passenger side auto window broke twice, there's a malfunction with the blinkers and hazard lights, the tires leak air so I have to pump them up alot or go to tire place and get resealed. The tire places say its because of the aluminum rims. The tires are quite expensive, gas mileage could be better for this small of a car. The intake gaskets had to be replaced and my cruise control had to be fixed. I've also had to replace wheel bearings twice and the ABS sensors twice. I've had it for 8 yrs tho, and no major problems with the engine at all. It still runs really good.

Very Solid And Reliable

by Regie from Utah on Wed Jan 27 2010

Purchased vehicle with 20k it has been very reliable, the only problem I've had was the key switch, it had to be replaced because the security light started coming on. I'm very happy with this vehicle overall it's very solid and has been reliable with over a 155,000 miles on it now. It has never failed me in the 9 year of ownership!!

1 2 3