2000 Alero

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

$748 - $4,632  MSRP Range
2000 Oldsmobile Alero

3.2

Have You Driven the 2000 Oldsmobile Alero?

It is a fine car but there were better deals

by Albert from L.A. on Tue Apr 07 2009

I like the car. I have it for almost 10 years and still looks good an rides nicely. It had some problems; wheel bearings, alternator, water leaks, harmonic balancer, faulty batery, timing sensor. Nothing to brag about and shows why GM is in trouble but despite its unreliabilty I like the car ride, looks and comfort. Looking back I realize that there were beter options in 2000 when I bought it new but I do not complain. I hope it lasts another couple of years.

GOOD CAR/ SOME PROBLEMS

by DAVER from on Fri May 01 2009

PURCHASED NEW , HAVE HAD SOME PROBLEMS, DASHBOARD WRINKLED, BLOWER SWITCH DOESNT WORK ON LOW, GEAR SHIFT BROKEN, HAZARD / TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM, POWER STEERING HAS BEEN VERY PROBLEMATIC, MAJOR ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN GOOD AND HAS BEEN RELIABLE. THE 4 CYL HAS BEEN RELIABLE, I LIKE THE CAR BUT I HAVENT BOUGHT A GM SINCE.

My car is a used one

by mo_thev6 from NewJersey on Wed Jul 25 2007

I have one minor thing to say , and that is the tires are very expensive. But besides that i take care of it and give a tune up and change oil as we supposed to and i use great gas and put additives to clean injector. Let me tell you this car is great car... it quick when you need it. just take care of it, well ok so the fan works in medium and hi and thats it. that ok because with windows open and a moonroof why would I need the ac. Whats the purpose of the moon roof seriously. enjoy its a great car, just the tires are so expensive.. they say 50k miles tires but last 20k to 25k. whats the deal with that

Extended Warranty is a Life Saver

by Ironhide from Saskatoon, Canada on Wed Aug 01 2007

Good: the 3.4L V6 is very powerful and is beautiful for passing vehicles. The interior has almost a fighter plane cockpit feel to it which I really like. The two tone interior also gives it a very nice look. It has lots of trunk space and gets over 30mpg on the highway. The Bad: GM seriously messed up on this design of this vehicel. It has serious issues with leaks. I have had engine seal, oil pan and head gasket leaks. The windshield leaked causing water to come in the passenger side during heavy rain. Also had under the hood fuse box replaced twice due to water corrosion. In addition, I have had 3 blower motors replaced, ignition switch twice, power steering gear, brakes pads x 3, brake rotors x 2. Thank goodness I had extended warranty which covered the majority of these repairs. Estimated repairs were in the $7k range. Extended warranty only cost me $1500 so it paid for itself several times over. Other problems include paint peeling on bumper and wind leeking in on the passenger side. Believe me the wind leek is not that good when you are driving negative degree temperatures. The passenger side is very hard to keep warm in the vehicle. This all happened in less than 120k on the vehicle. The majority of problems were at less than 80K. Buyer beware.

Electrical Problems

by Alero owner from MN on Sun May 04 2008

If you purchase an Alero you will have to battle with the security system not letting you start your car and the window regulator's stop working so you can't use your power windows. Also the interior is poor quality and will warp over time.

Does not recommend this car!!

Too many problems, but engines been good

by yoshi from Williamston, MI on Sun Nov 30 2008

I have 154,000 miles on my car. The engine has actually been very good, no problems. It's alot of other things that have gone bad. I've replaced the brakes quite a few times, the passenger side auto window broke twice, there's a malfunction with the blinkers and hazard lights, the tires leak air so I have to pump them up alot or go to tire place and get resealed. The tire places say its because of the aluminum rims. The tires are quite expensive, gas mileage could be better for this small of a car. The intake gaskets had to be replaced and my cruise control had to be fixed. I've also had to replace wheel bearings twice and the ABS sensors twice. I've had it for 8 yrs tho, and no major problems with the engine at all. It still runs really good.

Got 220k on it and it is still running

by Great car for the price from KANSAS CITY on Sun Aug 25 2019

My car has been reliable. All i have done is change a couple of hoses leaking from the radiator, change the battery, put a new serpentine belt, and a new pulley, and a new engine support. Window motors have been replaced on all of the doors. It has been reliaboe car. I bought it with 60K and i had never had a big major issues with the car. It runs great and I have traveled alot with it. I had the car for about 14 years now. And it has 220K on it and I am still driving it everyday.

Solid, dependable, not too flashy

by young working professional from New Haven, CT on Sat Oct 23 2010

This car has been very reliable, I now have more than 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. I've had to perform all the suggested maintenance, but there haven't been any real surprises. No major mechanical issues at all. I'm pretty happy with it.

Above Averag Small Sedan for Standard Small Budget

by JMoore from Lawrence, KS on Thu Jul 10 2008

I bought this car used for 4,250 with 133,000 miles on it, and I must say so far it has been well worth it. As far as performance goes it is right in line with the average small sedan/coupe concering speed and acceleration. Where it tends to shine however is in the nice crisp handling the car offers combined with smooth gear shifting in the 4 speed automatic, but you should expect nothing less of a vehicle who's bloodlines come from that of a chevrolet. As far as Interior design this car is quite surprising. I am 6'5" and much to my surprise the first time I drove this car I fit great in it. It really is a diamond in the rough for those of us who are exceptionally tall and tend to struggle finding a car that meets the Alero's specs that we can actually fit in. The interior of the car can seem a bit flimsy at times(namely the cheap plastic door panels), and all that leather (or what resembles leather) on the dash will warp over time. I have encountered a few small electrical problems, but nothing that replacing a few fuses couldn't fix. Also worth noting to the few car audio enthiasts who may read this I have replaced every speaker in this car, Added two 12" subwoofers to the trunk, and installed an amplifier and everything went very smoothly. Even breaking through the firewall in this car was a breeze. Overall with the 2000 Alero your getting what you pay for with a few nice surprises, and a few bad ones. By the way, it is a great cruisin car.

Most dependable gas efficient vehicle I've chased

by Amberlina Michelle from Clovis,NM on Fri Aug 25 2017

A car for a young teenage girl I couldn't be any more grateful for having it been mine sporty yet sleek exterior with an interior to match. Fast dependable with simple easy to do mataniance that didn't take a degree or man to understand I was able to do all but a few things to maintain replace and repair parts ect. On my Own with the help of a easy read of my owners manual. Those were the days couldn't be a simple task now with the new vehicle I have now it seems to be a lot more risky and far more technical than that loved my alero best 4 door vehicle a girl could have.

1 2 3