1998 Grand Prix

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Love this car

by Smiles from Kingston ont on November 23, 2008

We bought this 98 grand prix new in 98 if I could give it more stars as far as reliability goes I would, my wife drives it most of the time to work so we only have 70klm on it the only problems we have had has been the power window switch on the drivers side (I think someone left the window open and it rained on it electronics and rain dont mix)and they are $200 to replace and a rear coil spring, and of course the normal things like brakes, tires, in fact it still has the original battery in it, and being a mechanic 5years is about the max for a battery, as the four stars for comfort, I'm 6ft and a big guy I find that getting in and out is a workout with the small doors as this is the 4door model, but I would not get rid of this car for anything, and I'm supprised that one of us has not gotten a ticket for speeding in it, that 3800 mtr really hauls butt, NICE CAR GM I hope that you keep making great cars like this and I will keep buying GMs I have learned my lesson from Nissan, I'm coming back to the family.

FLEE THE PRIX!

by Kevin Brown from Carpentersville, IL on May 12, 2006

I purchased a 1998 Grand Prix SE 4 door sedan as my first car. I wanted that car due to the fact that the insurance would be lower on it in yet i wouldn't be sacrificing any power or performance. Being a teen I have definitely taken my car through pure torture but all the while it took it and kept pushing on. However, the fact that amazed me the most was that i bought the car with 91,000 miles on it and STILL did all this. My SE had the upgraded engine in it so instead of having the standard 3100 in it the 3800 was in it so it was pushing about 190 hp. Now that my car has reached 105,000 miles on it, i have decide to get rid of it.....TO BUY ANOTHER GRAND PRIX...I actually decided to get a 2001 Grand Prix GTP...so yea...watch out world....lol....I highly recommend this car for anyone and especially the teen looking for the cool car with the amazing power for a cheap price........Good job pontiac

Hard to touch

by One Great 98 from East Norwich N.Y. on September 10, 2008

Even after 10+ years and 93,000 + miles of trouble free driving, still have not performed tune up and still get overall 21mpg and still take all comers off the line and beyond. Would by the 98 again!

Outstanding

by M.Taylor from Towson, MD on June 29, 2006

As my first car, I purchased a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2-Door coupe. As a 17 year-old with a 3.8L/V6, it was a very impressive first vehicle. Reliable, dependable, no significant work needed other than brake pads, tires, battery, etc. Handled extremely well, very surprised. 2 Weeks ago I was at a stop waiting to make a left-hand turn when I was rear-ended by a Dodge RAM 1500 with an attatched trailer. According to the skid marks, he was going approx. 67mph when he made contact with my car. I walked away from the accident without a scratch on me, right out of the car. The car was lost, but I'm perfectly okay. I would highly advise a Grand Prix as a car for either a teenager or anybody who likes a fast but eficent sports car.

1998 Pontiac grand prix 4 3800 series

by Sport's fan and car enthusiast. I love car's and t from Brimfield Massachusetts on January 27, 2017

Before this car I had 4 other car's blow engine's. This 98 Pontiac grand prix is the best car I've ever had the pleasure to oen. I have 211,000 miles and it still runs. Needs a tune up but the greatest car GM ever made in my opinion. Very reliable.

I love my car!! Supercharged ;)

by Beccablue91 from Manitowoc, Wi on September 20, 2017

This car has been so good to me! It's fun to drive, picks up speed easily as it's a supercharger. If only they still made them! Plenty of room in the front and back. Only con I've heard (from others, not me lol) is that it's a low seated vehicle. But at 5'5, age 26 Its not an issue for me

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT sedan

by superquest from on May 19, 2012

If your in the market to buy a used car and want a good looking very reliable sedan than the Grand Prix GT is the one for you. Anybody who has had any of GM's cars with the 3800 V6 in it will tell you it's a great engine for power, gas milege, long life, and most important reliability. I'll always have at least 1 car at my house with the 3800 in it for those reasons. This is a great 2nd car or for the 16 year old newbie on the road. It's front wheel drive so it's great in rain and snow. Plus with it's sleek aerodynamic appearance and spoiler makes it very stylish for young drivers who are bias against sedans and say "4 doors are so uncool" . Your worried about safety and they're worried about looks so you get the best of both worlds. You won't be disappointed. This body style goes from 1997-2003.

It's my baby

by GTP Owner from Ohio on December 25, 2014

We've had our '98 GTP 4 door for nearly 9 years now and it has done an outstanding great job at being there when we needed it. It has never let us get stranded. Mine has 133,000 miles at this time and it still runs fantastic. But after 17 years of being on the road, this car is starting to have some minor parts go bad (as anyone could expect). I get about 35 MPG highway. I just hope I can hold on to this car for a few more years. It will make me very sad when I have to let it go...

Best vehicle i've ever owned

by Car guy from Boston MA on October 14, 2007

The Gtp supercharged version is one of the fastest V6 cars i have ever had the priverlage of driving.

Drives better than most new cars!

by Evora7 from StLouis, Mo/Alton, IL on February 8, 2011

This was my first vehicle, I had the 3.1L V6 Auto. This car is solid; tough frame, hard body, great gas mileage, smooth ride. Non-comparable to any new vehicle. Gets about 20/27 mpg. The car has been in 2 accidents and still runs amazing. High speed crash, but no damage to the engine components, just the exterior. I have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. But if you're looking into purchasing one of these make sure you get the DexCool issue resolved (radiator fluid).

1 2 3