2019 Golf

2019 Volkswagen Golf

2019 Volkswagen Golf

Have You Driven the 2019 Volkswagen Golf?

I Love My Car!

by bea from Coconut Creek, FL on Tue Mar 12 2019

Disclaimer: I've only had one car before this and I've only been driving my VW Golf for about a month... but I love it! This is such a great car. I'm very impressed so far. Here are my favorite things about it: • The MPG is pretty good, comparable to what I was getting with my Toyota Yaris, if a little more expensive. • It's a pretty car! I like how it's simple but full of personality, at least in my eyes. In a weird way, these cars seem to take after their owners. • It's comfortable. • The visibility is amazing... I feel like I'm on the street with how open it feels. • It doesn't feel cramped with four people in the car. I think five people would be a stretch, though. • The safety features are outstanding, and a great value for the price. • It's fun to drive. It almost feels like you're floating. • It's the perfect size. My only complaint is that I wish it weren't so low to the ground, but I understand that it's because the VW Golf is supposed to be "sporty." Anyway, I love this car!

Very Good Basic Car, But Beware Lack of Cabin Heat

by Dog from Middlesex Vermont on Wed Feb 19 2020

Excellent visibility, good cabin space, handles well. Mileage: mid 20s city, mid 40s highway. The bad: Car has a new motor (1.4) very, very cold blooded. No cabin heat in winter for almost 15 minutes. A problem if you need to use the defroster. Dealer acknowledges problem, no fix. In addition, this model has a common problem with the water pump thermostat, which results in the cooling fan staying on continously (further adds to the heat problem!) Took the dealer three visits and three weeks to repair with a new water pump. Should be a recall. Not the end of the world, but disconcerting with a car that has less than 1,000 miles and a problem which the manufacturer knows is systemic and affects many cars.

Excellent value

by MountainBikingGTI from Plymouth, MI on Thu Feb 27 2020

This is the 3rd Golf we purchased. I truly love the size of the vehicle. It is small but, big enough for all my needs. It holds easily four adults, I am a short guy though at 6 ft 1. I can put my mountain bike in it just fine. Fit and finish is excellent, it feels more expensive than that it is. I am very pleased with the gas mileage, I regularly get 40mpg+. Parking is a breeze. I feel decently safe. The first Golf we owned (2017 Wolfsburg edition) got crashed. I hit a brand-new Ford Edge on the rear axle at 55mph and walked away from it not even being sore. We currently own a 2017 Golf GTI and a 2019 Golf S. I am very satisfied so far with my purchases. And, when I need some additional space, I put my roof box on it.

This is my 3rd Golf. Absolutely love this car.

by SusanCB from San Antonio, TX on Tue Sep 24 2019

Back in a manual transmission, and am very happy. Car is platinum black with gray interior. Very nice. Miss the XM, but there are other features I like.

Most reliable car I've owned

by andyshedd from Portland, ME USA on Thu Mar 14 2019

It's fast enough, has a great entertainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and has a SD card reader. It's a turbo and gets great gas mileage.

Great car for highway and busy city traffic!

by jp7790 from Walnut Creek, CA on Sun Feb 10 2019

I love the driver assist safety features. They make driving on the highway so much easier and enjoyable. The car is comfortable and gets great gas mileage.

Great German engineering for Great Price

by Venkat from Vernon Hills IL on Mon Aug 31 2020

I started loving this car, initially I felt not so, because of engine being little sluggish. But you would even feel any big lag or valve clunking. Car reaches 40 mph at a very low of 1800 RPM that is great with the mileage averaging out to 36-40. Stability is one other area you cannot expect in a small car at this segment. MQB Chasis is well build and it speaks up. Suspension is pretty smooth most time. If someone cannot buy an Audi A3 but would like to get the feel out of it. This is the car you need to go with.

Great, versatile car for the money

by VW newbie from Beaumont Texas on Tue Jul 07 2020

Love the small exterior dimensions and large interior space. Great technology. Good gas mileage. Fun to drive.Well laid out interior. Great all around car. Tremendous value.

A blast of a daily driver

by James GTI from Buffalo, NY on Wed Jun 03 2020

I’ve been courting this car for years and am having an absolute blast with it. It’s fast, fun and hugs corners. The fact that I’ve made it 1 week without a ticket is pure luck!

Our Take on the 2019 Volkswagen Golf

The verdict:

I have three kids and drive a minivan, so practicality often outweighs fun in my life, but the Volkswagen Golf doesn’t make me choose. It delivers both.

Versus the competition:

The Golf costs a smidge more than other compact hatchbacks, but it’s more refined than many and more fun than most.

The Golf was refreshed for 2018, but the changes are subtle, limited to minor updates like new standard LED daytime running lights and a revised dash layout to make room for a larger multimedia screen. Compare it with last year’s model.

In addition to the regular Golf, the hatchback comes in many forms, including performance-oriented GTI and R models and SportWagen and Alltrack wagons. For the eco-minded, there’s also the all-electric e-Golf. I reviewed the base Golf S; it’s also available in an uplevel SE model.

The Golf competes against the likes of the Honda Civic hatchback, Hyundai Elantra GT and Mazda3 hatchback. See them compared.

Minimal-Frills Cabin