2019 Volkswagen Golf R consumer reviews

$40,395–$41,495 MSRP range
side view of 2019 Golf R Volkswagen
Explore the 2019 Volkswagen Golf R
Shop the 2019 Volkswagen Golf R

High performance fun hot hatch

The most fun car I’ve ever owned. Terrific performance. Handling is outstanding. I love that the R is an all-wheel drive. Has been completely reliable.

Love My New Golf R

This car is awesome. Sporty, high quality, comfortable, and a blast to drive. Big smile every time I get in it. Best car I have ever owned.

Certainly worth the price

I drove two GTI's before when I decided to upgrade to a Golf R last year, and I have no regrets. Except for a few glitches, the car performs extremely well and can be available with a number of high tech options. The price may be on the high side, but I think it's worth every penny of it. I will not hesitate to recommend it to those who are looking to a vehicle which combines performances with good road manners.

Golf RRRRRRRRRRRR

Fanstastic car, superbly well made, solid, fit and finish is superb, is super QUICK, handles like it's on rails, fantastic brakes, and steering, superbly comfortable supportive, no back aches seats for long 6 hour drives. great highway car, and still whip it around locally. It's a step above the GTI, bigger tires, the 4 motion gives extra grip, and much more powerful, SUPER QUICK, I had 2 GTI's that where great, this is much better GTI's had no issues lots of fun also, Golf R is a step UP

Fun, fast and relatively affordable

I have owned six Audi TTs (all three generations) and loved them all, but I’ve always lusted after the TTS because of its more powerful engine. While the DSG with paddle shifters on the TT is lightning fast and fun, it still isn’t as fun as manual transmission in my opinion. And there’s no way I can afford the TTS, so I opted for a 2019 VW Golf R in one of the 40 special-order Spektrum colors. The four-month wait was worth it. Besides getting the same engine as the TTS, I got a car in a color I wanted with manual transmission and with several safety features not offered on the TT. The adaptive cruise control is great, and the lane warning system notifies you but gently tugging the wheel back in the correct lane but without the annoying chimes and buzzers that many other cars use. This is not your grandfather’s Golf; it’s a stylish all-wheel-drive rocket. I much prefer the understated design to that of the Honda Civic Type R, Subaru WRX STI and Ford Focus RX, which are great if you’re 16 but a tad too showy for someone like me (definitely not 16). At the same time, the design is anything but boring with dual chrome exhausts, special body molding, and aggressive LED headlights. Everything about the R feels tight and right: steering, clutch, shifter, breaks. And then there’s the power; let’s just say it’s more than ample. But not too thirsty as I’m averaging 29 MPH combined highway and city. In my experience, there’s virtually no turbo lag as long as I downshift appropriately. The large touchscreen is better and more intuitive than anything I’ve used before, including our other car, a 2018 Subaru Forester. Seats are comfortable and supportive. There’s ample storage for me, but remember, I’m coming from a TT. I love the car and can’t help grinning every time I get in it. PROs: • Design and availability of 40 colors • Availability of a manual transmission • TTS engine for about $10K less • Comfortable and practical cabin with intuitive controls CONs: • Because Audi/VW’s direct shift gearbox is so good, the manual is a tad slower • Side mirrors do not automatically dim when there’s a car behind with brights on (the rearview mirror does) • Only one USB port and the placement is really awkward and hard to get to Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat.

3.9

certified used with 7y/84k bumper to bumper wty

for top of line golf, needs these features: remote start, (seat, mirrors) memory for each driver profile, real time psi tire pressure monitoring for each individual wheel, as well as temporary spare tire.

Enjoyable car to drive

I have had it less than one week but the manual transmission is more sophisticated that that of my previously owned WRX. I also appreciate the safety features, and since it is winter in WI, the heated seats.

Not just more money than a GTI

Had a Gen 6 GTI and it performed flawlessly for 6 years for my daughter. Upgraded to the newest Golf R Gen 7.5 and I have to say there is a significant difference between the two cars, not just in terms of price. Better in all these segments - seating, technology, brakes, power, power, and more power (nice!), handling (yes even better), tuning of suspension, engagement with the transmission (much more direct, but the GTI was pretty good) and all wheel drive for the upper mid-west winters. We loved our GTI but we are amazed with the latest Golf R from VW.

Golf R is PERFECT

Comfortable, super QUICK, handles fantastically, feels like you are connected, and in total control, in all conditions. it replaced my GTI which was GREAT, but the Golf R, is indeed a step up, very noticeable. Lots of usable room, and everything is where it belongs, ergonomics is FANTASTIC. got it in Sept 2019, have close to 4000 miles now, so I have a good feel, for what it can do, pretty much everything feels RIGHT...

Sleeper fun

After looking at many vehicles, the golf r checked all the boxes and gave me a fun, premium spec, car that puts a smile on my face, gets good gas milage and has awd for snowy days. Try one out. You'll like it. Even my wife loves it and she's stopped driving the kids around in the SUV just to drive the golf once in awhile. My reliability rating is actually unknown. I've had no problems 1500 miles in, but I'm assuming the 72000 mile warranty will give me peace of mind.