2009 Volkswagen GTI consumer reviews

side view of 2009 GTI Volkswagen
Explore the 2009 Volkswagen GTI
3.9

Loved the car!

Great car for gas but way too small for my growing family. I would recommend this car to anyone to give this car a try.

3.6

timing chain tensioner will ruin engine

beautiful car but it's about to break down! recalls and more recalls! timing tensioner and welds/solder on brakes. almost died several times due to brakes. tensioner recall means i had to replace engine on new car

10 years later, I still love my car

I bought my car new in 2009, put 50k miles on it (I walked to work for 5 of those years) and still love it. It’s the first and only car I’ve ever owned. It has had two major issues that arose within the last year. First, the dsg transmission failed, but thankfully just in time for the deadline to get it fixed for free. The VW dealer completely rebuilt my transmission, and now it works better than new. Now, the headliner and door panels are falling off. That will cost $900 to fix. Thing it, it’s just too darn fun to drive to give it up. It’s a happy little car that does exactly what I ask of it on a winding road, yet it’s surprisingly practical. My four year twins love riding in the back seat. They call it “mommy’s race car.” It has attracted small crowds at IKEA on multiple occasions—people are shocked at the sight of a small sofa sliding into Volkswagen. Yes, I’ve threatened to sell it and get a V6 Camry, or the new Accord, or a 3-series BMW, or even a Civic R. But whenever I get back into my car after test driving the other options, I still like my car better. It’s just so well composed. Unless I somehow strike gold and buy an AMG Mercedes wagon, I expect to someday replace my car with another GTI.

It has been an awesome car for years!

I think the mpg could be better for the size of engine vs power, yet I can't complain about the power, as it sure delivers it!

Power, Handling, splash of road noise

I absolutely love my VW GTI. It is the older body style which I actually prefer, it seems more curvy than sharp edges. She (the car) has power when I need it and with the manual transmission I am completely in control. It is definitely not a family car as it is difficult to get into the back seats, but comfortable once you are there. The hatchback and fold down back seats allow me to put in my bicycle easily after I take off the front wheel. There is quite a bit of road noise and if I have my headset in for a phone call the other end can hear the noise. Another downside is the door size. The 2-door model has huge doors and if you are in a tight parking spot it takes a little yoga to get in or out. Gas mileage is completely acceptable (it takes premium) and the little bit extra I use for some power maneuvering is worth it. I feel safer in this car because of the power and the ability to sneak into small spaces.

Best hatchback I've ever driven

This is a very fun car to drive, but at the same time very spacious with the four door option to meet my everyday needs.

German engineering

Big fan of Volkswagen, and this car didn't disappoint. One of the best hot hatchbacks out there. Roomy, fast and fun.

New engine- new turbo- new tires- sirius xm

I love this car but have no need for two vehichles. The Engine and turbo have less than 3000 miles on them. The new tires have less than 800 . There is sirius satelite radio for the life of the car. You will love this car- especially if you are a GTI fan!

4.4

German Bullet

The classic GTI story will last forever. Nimble, spacious and great styling! I had this car for a little bit over two years, bought new from Northeast Philly VW dealer. Still by far the best handling car I have ever driven. But seats are not that great. My back hurts after 1-hour continuous drive. The little car is very spacious when you have laid down the 2nd-row seats. I once put a full-size mattress into it!

4.4

Great car

The car is very comfortable to drive. It gets great gas mileage and is very spacious inside. I have 2 large dogs and they fit great in the back with the seats folded down. It is also fun to drive. It's quick and really huge the rode.