NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2019 Jetta

2019 Volkswagen Jetta

#6 Most Popular Sedan
2019 Volkswagen Jetta

4.3

Have You Driven the 2019 Volkswagen Jetta?

Have the car for 3 weeks, my initial review

by chibry from chicago, IL on Mon Oct 22 2018

This is my first new car in years. I've had it 3 weeks and have driven it 1,200 miles, both in the city and highway. I bought the basic S model, automatic: Good 1. Gas mileage is great, on highway I get above 40 mpg. In the city I average around 23 or 24 mpg. I'm in Chicago so city driving is worse than in smaller city driving where they probably get the 30 mpg figure 2. it's very quiet 3. the power is decent for the price, if you floor it nothing happens, but if you slowly hit the speed it picks up. Had to get used to it although my last car was a performance car so I'm spoiled 4. ride is smooth and comfortable over bumps 5. basic model comes with Android/Apple play. The interface is very simple and comes with bluetooth and all 6. big trunk 7. nice space inside considering the MPG and price 8. price 9. biggest plus for me - the warranty. That's why I bought the car. 6 years/ 72,000 miles bumper to bumper and power train. This can't be beat. It's transferable also. I think Hyundai has a good warranty but not as good nor I don't think it is transferable (look it up though) 10. the design is simple and sophisticated 11. lots of side pocket spaces Negatives 1. only on USB port 2. the power isn't great sometimes if you need to go quick from a stop 3. I'm 6 feet tall, my biggest issue with the car is the comfort. My legs are long and when they rest on the middle platform, the platform is too far over into the drivers area and digs into my leg. I read this in a review and now experience it. It's really only a problem for me on longer rides where I don't have to move my leg much 4. the trunk is goofy. There's a spring and it won't hold up unless you push the trunk all the way up. I didn't describe this well but google it or watch a youtube video and you'll see. 5. no spare tire 6. the rear camera is very basic, doesn't have moving lines or anything 7. a very odd feature is the back seats don't have AC/Heater vents even though the console has the spot for them. This may be because it's the S model and they cut prices for this. 8. Didn't come with back seat floor mats 9. no magazine holder in back seat 10. middle console in front is kinda far back to rest your arm. And the cupholders are far back so it's not the easiest to grab drinks So it's really up to the driver for what they want. The SEL model looks awesome but I didn't want to spend $6k more for it. The S model is a good basic sedan at a good price. For me I based my car purchase on practical reasons which ended up being the great warranty and the 40/30mpg. The inside is comfortable and it's a nice car.

The best car I've ever owned

by melissa213x from Charlotte,NC on Mon Aug 13 2018

This car is so amazing! It is a totally different look and feel to the old Jetta. It is the biggest change since 2008 in the Jetta's! I think VW did a great job. I have the SEL line which is more premium, and the inside is incredible. SO many great features and comfy leather seats!

VW's Hidden Secret

by ALAN from ROSWELL on Tue Oct 30 2018

After driving all the competitors we bought a blue Jetta S with the additional safety package for our son. None of the vehicles in the price range had a turbo or the comfort and safety features of the Jetta. For a base level car, it is very well equipped with almost all the accident prevention technology usually reserved for much more expensive cars. The infotainment system is intuitive and well thought out and not distracting ’ important for a new driver. The economical little turbo is very peppy and far more fun to drive than the anemic powertrains in competing vehicles. It rides very quietly and smoothly, and even though it is not as flashy as competitors, it’s quiet and understated presence exudes a feeling of quality and sophistication. The Jetta looks and drives like a much more expensive car. Inside accommodations are generous and the seats are comfortable and finished in a good looking durable cloth. The steering wheel, gauges, controls and dashboard are made of quality materials and are finished with attractive chrome trim, again making this feel like a more expensive car. Every time I get into the Jetta, I am amazed that this is a base model and how much very nice car can be had for around $20,000. The negatives are no spare tire which is a ridiculous cost saving omission, and no rear floor mats, otherwise VW has done a phenomenal job which should give the Japanese brands a run for their money, if anyone discovers it!

Most reliable car I’ve owned.

by TarynLS from Midvale, UT on Mon Jul 23 2018

I love my car, the ride is smooth and it works great for my little family!!! The experience so far is the best one I’ve had yet in a vehicle!

Very econmic value and style

by H West from LA CA on Thu Jun 14 2018

Great size interior and powerful engine with good gas mileage-Apple Play is great and easy to use-Large Trunk and quiet ride outside noise very little if any!

Out of the blue purchase!

by Rob from Ottawa IL on Tue Jun 19 2018

Just happened to walk by knowing in future would be looking for car with great gas mileage. Great on gas!! It’s pretty comfortable. What we were looking for!

2019 Jetta is a solid car

by VW Owner in the DMV from Washington DC on Thu Dec 13 2018

I went back to VW after I sold my TDI and was not sure I wanted to do this or not. I was very surprised by how good the Jetta drives and the MPG is awesome. Purchased my Jetta from Lindsay VW in Dulles VA and want to give them A+ for getting me in and out in very short order and the sales staff is exceptional. If you are looking for a dependable car and fun to drive, this is it. Does not have the pick up of my Old GTI or TDI Passat, but it does what it needs. Highly recommend this vehicle. Good job VW.

Great car for price (stereo sucks so only buy Beat

by PatrickJettaR from Denver CO on Thu Mar 14 2019

My 3rd consecutive VW! Great fit & finish. 2019 R Line Jetta model I bought has best wheels & interior trim. HOWEVER, if you like music in your car, be forewarned it’s the WORST NEW CAR STEREO I’ve ever had. The next model up, the SEL has the Beats system and it’s pretty good (tho not as phenomenal as the Fender). For what it cost me to put in a new amp, replace the speakers and put in a modest sub, it woulda been less to buy the SEL! To end on a positive note, I’ve been averaging 45 mpg highway @55-70 mph: Kudos to VW!!

49 mpg on my 32 mile freeway commute!

by Bigmike from Los angels ca on Sun Jun 09 2019

I bought this car because I lked the way it looked and the price compared to the Ford focus and the toyota corolla. After my first week of commute I am in love. The comfort is nice the tech is fine and the things that my body touches in it feel quality. But the milage per gallon blew me away! So far I will recommend that car to anyone.

comfortable and nice looking car with up to date t

by Dot from New York,NY on Fri May 03 2019

I like the size and easy driving, the safety features, rear view and side blind spot mirrors. I also like the car play. U like the keyless entry.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17

Our Take on the 2019 Volkswagen Jetta

The verdict:

The redesigned 2019 Jetta has gotten up to speed on features, tech and comfort, as well as value.

Versus the competition:

Always competitive in driving fun, the new Jetta now offers bang for your buck that helps it go head-to-head with compact sedan leaders.

It's an SUV world now, even for traditionally car-centric Volkswagen. Its best sellers this year have been its new SUV stars, the Tiguan (Car.com's most recent Compact SUV Challenge winner) and Atlas mid-size SUV (Cars.com's Best of 2018). But automakers still sell a lot of compact cars in the U.S., and the full redesign of the 2019 Jetta shows VW is serious about competing for a bigger share.

The previous generation held its own in terms of driving manners, but it was bland. The 2019 gets up to speed with features, tech, comfort and, notably, better value. If you want more driving grins, Volkswagen has the sportier Golf GTI compact hatchback — a darling of enthusiasts (including... Read More