Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1992 Passat

3 out of 5 stars Interior Design
3 out of 5 stars Reliability
3 out of 5 stars Performance
3 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1992 Volkswagen Passat?

My daily commute!

by carfan from Lagos, Nigeria on Sat Feb 18 2017

Purchased my 1992 Passat GL used with well over a 150km on it sometime in 2009. Yes, I know its a real vintage by today's standards but I needed a knock about vehicle, with basic features. There are some numerous electrical challenges I've had to fix over time, electrical relays, power window motors issues, electric fuel pump issues. But they were easy to fix with replacement parts nearby and an electric technician who knows what he's doing. When I didn't make headway with replacement parts for electrical fuel pump, had to convert to manual pump, including changing carburator to compensate for manual mode. Fuel consumption reduced considerably as a result of this apart from the occasional cold starts in the mornings. I live in West Africa and my car was imported used from Germany. Still driving the old girl but needs an engine refit soon as my cylinders are worn out due to daily use. Its a durable vehicle but needs constant attention to keep it going. I do regular service on it. I admit my timing belt gave way not too long ago but she has kept going long afterwards.

Our Take on the 1992 Volkswagen Passat

The Volkswagen Passat is VW's idea of what a family automobile ought to be like. And VW is pretty much on target.

The car is large enough to meet the utilitarian demands of family use, but sporty enough provide some spirited driving -- as long as the sedan is not expected to be a drag machine.

Introduced in 1990 as Volkswagen's first entry into the midsized family car market, the 1991 Passat GL in sedan and wagon form are updated versions of the initial offering. It also is has profited from aerodynamic form and function courtesy of much wind tunnel work.

The automobile is the recipient of an uncluttered wedge-shaped design that features softer sheet metal lines than has been the custom with... Read More