2012 Passat

2012 Volkswagen Passat

2012 Volkswagen Passat

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen Passat?

I love it

by blondlady from North Texas on Tue Aug 07 2012

This car is exactly what I wanted. I needed to downsize from my Ford Expedition and the Passat is perfect. It's so easy to drive, very quiet, gets great gas mileage and the instrument panel gives you all the information you need on performance. I wish I had bought it last year instead of trying to decide for a whole year!!

Most reliable and great fuel mileage!

by passatFan from boise, ID on Tue Dec 11 2018

What a great diesel! A turbo, handles like a sports car. Gets 38 mpg on highway! Has more back seat leg room than other sedans.

Greatest car I've had up to date

by Fadjei from Laurel md on Fri Mar 09 2018

This car is good on gas looks great feels nice when you're driving and it's easy in the pockets. I think anyone that has been in a car they loved and couldn't afford would love this car.

I like VW diesels

by Butch from Spring Hill Florida on Mon Jun 18 2012

This is the sixth VW diesel I've owned and this 2012 Passat has the most cabin room yet. I do wish the interior was a little nicer, less hard plastic and more like the Tiquan. Love the mileage and so far I've haven't had any problems with this vehicle (7335) miles on it so far.

sexy car, not great in the snow

by No Screen Name from Brooklyn, New York on Thu Jan 10 2019

Meh. Looked nice. Fishtailed in the snow. Overall ok. I had a diesel and when there was a gasoline shortage and lines were crazy or there was no gas, I was golden!

Does not recommend this car!!

2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT -

by Zoots Alures from New England (CT) on Mon Aug 19 2013

I searched for six months for my next vehicle. Covering the New England area for my employer I wanted to ensure that I maximized the "Fun to Drive" & "Maximum fuel proficiency" factors in my next purchase. THIS PURCHASE WAS THE BEST DECISION THAT I'VE MADE IN A VERY LONG TIME - *The outside styling is very nice yet a bit introverted/understated *The inside styling is typical European i.e,. clean, logical, and intuitive. *The 140BHP/236Torque is very responsive but could stand a bump in HP/TQ to off-set the approaching 4,500 RPM Cliff of no-return When driving the throughways, bi-ways, and hi-ways of New England, I have no trouble averaging >53MPG (Even with spirited passing); Around town the worst MPG I averaged was 38MPG with extreme spirited driving - light to light.* * Reminding you that this car came equipped with a 6-speed manual For me, this car is the complete package!

Worth every penny.

by Eric from Syracuse, NY on Sun Nov 26 2017

I owned this car for 4 years, never had to worry about safety or reliability. Comfortable drive, good gas mileage, reliable, have nothing bad to say. Sport mode gives you that zoom zoom feel, while regular drive keeps the mpgs up. Would highly recommend.

2012 Passat SE 2.5L with Sunroof - Love it!

by Returning VW owner after a 25 year Absence from Guilford, CT on Tue Aug 07 2012

I bought the Passat one month ago and it just turned 2000 miles. Every time I use the car, I consciously think of how much I love driving it. It looks great in Opera Red and drives smooth but with excellent road feel. I think VW used to called it "Farfugnuten" . PROs: Surprisingly good performance from the 2.5L engine. After some concerns I discovered the "S" or Sport mode located just below ’D’ Drive. Unlike the Tiptronic, this feature changes gears automatically and unlike the old low gear positions of the past, this mode up shifts automatically, but does so at higher RPMs. It finally made me forget my 5 speed manual Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sport . I am also a Sunroof person and this is the first car I have owned that you can open all the windows and sunroof without feeling you are in a wind tunnel (My old Jetta of 1986 was the worst). The fit and finish is excellent and although there are reviewers that downplay the exterior design and interior cosmetics, I find both demonstrably more attractive than the busy new Korean competitors. The car is very comfortable up front. I drove recently to Northern VA from Connecticut (about 350 miles) and have been doing so often for the past 15 years. This was the first car that did not give me a sore back end. I felt great after the long drive. CONs: The door material and under part of the dash are a little cheap looking but are overshadowed by the positive aspects of the overall design. The large display for the CD player does not include a skip disc function and to perform this task, several menu button presses and navigation actions are needed. Finally, my biggest complaint is the fact that even with that big display in the center console, there is no back up camera, which for a car with this long a wheelbase should at least be available. Oh.. I did not mention the large back seat leg room. Well, I did not buy the car for the legroom but bought the car as personal transportation with only occasional family driving needs. This may go against those that say it’s a great family car, it’s just a great car .

1st ever VW

by middle age commuter from Oregon on Mon Apr 23 2012

I bought the TDI SE diesel 2 months ago. I traded in my 2004 Honda for it. What a contrast! T haven't been this pleased with a car since my 4-WD f-150 from 20+ years ago. The Passat is a sharp looking, powerful, comfortable vehicle, and for the money it's a great deal. It hugs the road- handling is excellent and the 6 on the floor manual makes fun driving. I get 35 mpg commuting and 46 to 47 on the highway. The mileage is outrageous and I'm not cramped in a sardine can either. After years of driving the bland Hondas and Toyotas, I don't think I'll go back. Happy motoring.

Great Car!

by Backcreek from Chambersburg, PA on Sun Dec 18 2011

I was reluctant to give up my 2001 Passat with 225K miles. The new Passat is a great replacement, however. It is actually roomier than my 2001. This is the first car I have ever owned where I had to move the seat forward to reach the gas peddle! Mileage on the TDI is terrific. I get close to 50 on the 25 mile jaunt to church on Sundays, and get 38 or so around town.

Our Take on the 2012 Volkswagen Passat

For many car shoppers, price is king — so it’s no wonder the prior-generation Volkswagen Passat, a 2010 model that started at $27,195, didn’t have much of a chance against family sedans from Honda, Toyota and others that cost thousands less.

Now, however, its chances are much better.

The redesigned 2012 Passat combines the driving dynamics and interior quality that VW fans expect with the roominess, comfort and value that the wider public demands.

The 2012 Passat has been designed specifically for the American market, and it starts at $19,995 — squarely in the heart of the midsize segment. Expect it at dealerships nationwide by the fall.

Offered in three trim levels — S, SE... Read More