2012 Passat

2012 Volkswagen Passat

2012 Volkswagen Passat

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen Passat?

Volvo

by RRR from charleston, SC on Wed Oct 10 2012

The VW Passat recently purchased new is a pleasure to drive. Rated 4 for comfort and overall simply because am comparing to another owned vehicle with a much higher price tag. Enjoy the car very much

Poor excuse for a car

by Dhand from Dallas, Tx on Mon Jul 14 2014

We bought the 2012 Passat SE TDI thinking great car long term investment, but after spending a fortune we still could keep it out of the shop. Worse car I have ever owned, service manager finally told us if it was his he would trade it in. He got the engine light off for us and that's exactly what we did. Great fuel mileage, it just had problems one right after another! DON'T buy a 2012 TDI!!!!! Have no idea about newer ones.

Does not recommend this car!!

Frustrating Little Irratants!

by Hawaiian from Honolulu, Hawaii on Mon Apr 16 2012

I just leased a 2012 Passat S’ Although I absolutely love driving this car, I have noticed some irritating quality issues that VW America needs to be aware of. My Passat is just over a month old and currently has almost 1,400 miles on it. My irritations are as follows: 1. The seatbelt light and chimes come on even though my seatbelt is fastened and I’m the only person in the car. It’s very frustrating to hear the chime and see the dashboard light illuminated. I’ve pulled over to turn off the car and restart. I’ve unbuckeled and rebuckled. I’ve stopped to get out of the car and start the whole process over and nothing seems to solve this problem. It’s kind of like driving down the highway and having someone ringing your doorbell every 10 seconds. My main concern is that this may be a safety issue’ 2. Drivers seat rattles. with only 1,400 miles on this car, Is this a quaility issue’ Keep in mind, I’m not a heavy set person. It seems like the seat is just not secured properly. I’m hoping this is a quality issue and not a safety issue. 3. Trunk lid is not aligned properly. I have to slam the trunk lid closed in order for the trunk lid latch to catch. You should be able to gently push the trunk lid closed in order for the latch to secure itself. I also have the same same problem with the drivers side front door. I have to slam it shut or the open door light illuminates. Both of these are frustrating as my wife thiks I’m mad everytime I have to close the door or trunk. These are both very minor quality issues but the liitle issues are starting to add up. And, I’m getting tired of hearing my wife say to me ’What’s wrong’ everytime we get in the car together. 4. Suspension noise from front and rear corners seems to be getting worse as the days go by. This is especially prevalent at low speeds when rolling over speed bumps or climbing the curb to pull into the driveway of my house. If this were a 1995 Ford Tauras with 120,000 miles on it, I’d be more understanding. But this is a brand new 2012 VW Passat and I expect better from a German car company which touts German Engineering as it’s tag line. Once again, I love driving this car’ The handling, power (I have a 5 speed manual transmission), body style, bluetooth connectivity and generous back seat legroom make this car a beautiful ride. I just hope VW America understands and responds to my concerns to correct these minor but irritating quality issues. Luckily, this is only a 24 month lease, so if VW America choses not to respond to my quality claims, It’s a short term relationship and I can return to a car company like Honda who has a history of solid quality control. My concern is that after leasing Honda’s over the last 10 years, I’m not used to having to deal with these types pesky quality issues. I understand this 2012 Passat was built in America (which is a big reason why I chose to lease this vehicle), but it seems to have some quality issues that still need to be ironed out. I’ll be interested to see how VW America responds to these issues’ Will they ignore me’ Let me know these are normal inconveniences that I need to tolerate, or will VW America correct these issues to make sure I stay a loyal VW owner for years to come’ I’m big on long term relationships. I don’t know the answer to my questions but I’ll make sure to update everyone on how this turns out!

We love our 2012 Passat S

by JoeMar3 from Taylor, New York on Tue Oct 09 2018

We purchased our 2012 VW Passat S 2.5Ltr 5 cylinder in November 2014 used, It was previously a leased car, We fell in love with it almost right away. PROS: She is Good looking, Comfortable, Has a cavernous trunk area, Made even larger by folding rear seats, Massive amount of rear seat room even with the driver seat all the way back to the stops. Plenty of storage space on doors with a console main glove box and drivers mini glove box. Handles the mountainous roads where we live with ease. Has plenty of power and is fairly quick for a car of this nature. I love the 6 speed automatic transmission with sport setting, The ability to manually shift the car is definitely a plus when passing , Brakes are ample. AC is always more than cold enough and the heat is always there fairly quickly in winter, Fuel economy is really good in this car. a fillup lasts well over expected mileage with today's ridiculous gas prices. We run synthetic oil and are religious with maintenance . You care for this car properly and she will take you far. The stereo system is killer . The in car phone system is a blessing. hands free except for pushing the buttons on the steering wheel to make the call or answer the call. It works right through the radio . CONS; The cabin filter gets wet when going through a car wash and after a while begins to stink. (Easily changed around 12-15 dollars) The exhaust system parts are ridiculously expensive if you are looking to change the muffler (3 - 600 dollars for the massive muffler in front of the rear axle with a resonator at the back brakes rotors plugs etc are however reasonably priced) The push to open gas door becomes a PIA if the plastic latch isn't working properly and you have to pound on it sometimes to access the gas cap for filling.

Fun and Efficient

by Working Mom from Miami on Thu Jun 28 2012

I drive 30 miles to work daily in bumper to bumper traffic and was able to get 526 miles on my first tank of fuel. Love the TDI!!! Hoping to split my fuel costs in half from what I was paying.

Great

by Retired Lady from Kissimmee, FL on Wed Sep 28 2011

The car is just the best I have ever own, style, comfort, good on gas, reliable and hopefully long lasting. It is the car of a lifetime of hard work and savings.

2012 Car of the Fear

by Broker and Enthusiast from Haymarket, VA on Sun Feb 19 2012

Major Issues: 4500 Miles (Transmission Replaced by VW), miles later (Transmission Repaired by VW) As an automotive broker and enthusiast, I was hopeful in my purchase of the first ’American’ VW since 1988. Since, I’ve accumulated 5000 miles. Here is my long term review. Comfort: I’m 6’0’, 200 lbs. The interior utilizes class leading materials but, there are some long term complaints. Front seating is narrow and knocks/rocks. The center console protrudes into the driver’s acceleration leg, not uncommon for a euro. The doors ledges are quite angled. As a result, for those who rest our elbows while driving, it is very uncomfortable. Wind noise aggravates. Performance: Mileage: 21/32 mpg * Acceleration: 0-60 8.7 sec * Handling: Great for Mid-Price/Size Sedan * Odd Note: Engine Holds/Keeps RPM High Exterior: Materials and seals problems. Exterior panels feel and look cheap (wavy). The roof antenna allows intrusive wind noise into the cabin. The roof vibrates. Interior: Squeaks and rattles are plentiful, and began early in ownership. My 93 Honda Civic has less. The roof antenna allows intrusive wind noise into the cabin. The roof vibrates. Bluetooth connectivity, with iPhone, is not reliable. Speakers blew, not from being overloaded/loud. See ’Comfort’ for further complaints. Value: Seemed to be a good value then’ 100 miles (Driver Seat Knocking/Rocking), 150 miles (Interior Squeaks/Rattles), 4500 miles (Transmission Replaced), 4750 miles (Transmission Repaired). Advised VW the transmission is still impaired. VW service advised they could ’not duplicate’ the issue. The same noise requiring the transmission to be replaced at 4500 miles, VW claims to no longer hear. Reliability: Not reliable. See ’Value’. I’ve prevented over 20 acquaintances from making the mistake of purchasing. Not necessarily the purchase of a Passat, but from VW in general.

Does not recommend this car!!

THE BEST CAR EVER

by Peter from ATLANTA on Sun May 13 2012

0 EMISSIONS, BIG AND COMFY, ASSEMBLED IN THE USA(I'M PROUD I HELPED CREATING AMERICAN JOBS), ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION MADE IN GERMANY-WINNING COMBINATION, UNMATCHED FUEL EFFICIENCY FOR ITS CLASS!!! ALSO UNMATCHED SAFETY RATING!!! I ACTUALLY WANNA GIVE IT A TEN STAR RATING

2012 VW Passat 3.6 SE

by The Dude from Andover, MN on Sat Mar 10 2012

2 months ago my lease ran out on my 2009 VW CC so I turned it in and bought a black-on-black 2012 Passat SE with the 3.6 V-6 engine. It just turned 2000 miles today, but so far I really like it. I was accustomed to the 2.0 Turbo 4 in the CC, so this 6 cylinder really feels like it has good acceleration. The Fender sound system rocks! My normal driving is part city and part freeway and I have been averaging 23+ MPG - about 2 MPG less than my CC. I love the exterior styling. The interior is very good but the front seats lack bolster and can be a bit uncomfortable. I live in Minnesota and we have had an uncharacteristic dry winter. However, the car has handled the snow and ice that we have had very well. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes to drive.

Great Car, Great Price

by Passat Man from Chattanooga, TN on Fri May 29 2015

Bought a 2012 VW Passat used in April, 2015. This car, made in Chattanooga, TN, is a great car, very comfortable, good performance, good gas mileage, huge back seat, and very smooth. I have toured the Chattanooga plant and know several people that work there. They are all about quality and value. This is my third Passat (1998, 2003, 2012) and think that this is the best one by far.

Our Take on the 2012 Volkswagen Passat

For many car shoppers, price is king — so it’s no wonder the prior-generation Volkswagen Passat, a 2010 model that started at $27,195, didn’t have much of a chance against family sedans from Honda, Toyota and others that cost thousands less.

Now, however, its chances are much better.

The redesigned 2012 Passat combines the driving dynamics and interior quality that VW fans expect with the roominess, comfort and value that the wider public demands.

The 2012 Passat has been designed specifically for the American market, and it starts at $19,995 — squarely in the heart of the midsize segment. Expect it at dealerships nationwide by the fall.

Offered in three trim levels — S, SE... Read More