Great MPG but two deal killers
April 16, 2019
The Prius was fantastic on MPG. I drove it for a week on two occasions but I would not buy the newest one for two reasons:
1) Toyota's adaptive cruise control is awful. You cannot shut it off and run regular cruise control. If a car merges in front of you, it instantly drops far back and you are always overriding it to keep any kind of speed. Forget about drafting - even on the closest range setting is 10+ cars lengths back. If you want to maintain speed, you have to pull to overtake about 20 car lengths back so you block traffic otherwise you drop speed. I also tried it in slushy weather which blocked the sensor so zero cruise control for 6 hours.
2) EV never works. Every time you touch the accelerator, it reverts to normal function and the engine starts. I understand it will be sluggish but I want to drive the car at its EV-only maximum speed and acceleration otherwise why have the EV button. If you are going over 20 mph, it will override EV and say "too fast for EV mode"
3) Noisy. Very loud cabin so expect to sound insulate it.
4) Seat is flat and hard. For a traditional high mileage choice, you will be squirming after the first hour.
5) Not a big issue but the shifter housing looks like a white game console bolted to the bottom of the dash that is out of place and not aligned with the dash lines