CARS.COM — Volvo finally redesigned its ancient family hauler for 2016, and the new XC90 was worth the wait. Exterior changes like a large waterfall grille and T-shaped headlights are huge departures from the old model. Inside, the changes are even more dramatic with a giant vertical touch-screen panel replacing traditional audio and climate controls. Families will love the second row, with room for three child-safety seats and an available integrated pop-up booster in the center seating spot.
How many car seats fit in the second row? Three
How many car seats fit in the third row? Two, but there are no top tether anchors, so the third row can only accommodates booster seats.
What We Like
- There are two sets of Latch anchors in the outboard seats. They sit about a half-inch into the seat bight, where the back and bottom cushions meet.
- In both forward- and rear-facing mode, the convertible went in easily and had plenty of room. There are three tether anchors on the second-row seatbacks; finding them and connecting our convertible’s top tether strap to the tether anchor was easy.
- We only had to move the front passenger seat forward less than an inch to accommodate the infant seat; the front passenger still had enough legroom.
- The booster fit well despite the XC90’s fixed head restraints. The outboard buckles are on stable bases, so kids should be able to buckle up independently. Our model was equipped with the available integrated booster, which pops up quickly and easily from the middle seat. It can be used for kids who weigh between 33 and 80 pounds and are at least 37 inches tall.
What We Don’t
- There’s no Latch or tether anchors in the third row. This means it’s unsafe to install a forward-facing car seat back there; this is disappointing for a family vehicle.
- In the two-position third row, the buckles are on recessed stalks, so kids may have trouble grasping them to buckle up.
- Heavy second-row seats and a high step-in complicated third-row access, though the walkway to get back to third row is fairly large.