The days of the sub-$10,000 new car are long behind us, and the days of the sub-$20,000 new car may not be far behind. But if a rock-bottom base price is what you’re looking for, a variety of models still deserve consideration. Many of them also get good gas mileage, which will help keep a lid on ownership costs for as long as you own one.
To help with your cheap-car search, we rounded up the 10 least expensive new cars. They’re ordered by base price from least to most expensive, and all prices include the destination charge, but not any cash incentives or taxes and fees. To make the list useful to as many car shoppers as possible, all prices include an automatic transmission, which bumps the price for some models that otherwise offer a manual. For cars with more than one transmission choice, the EPA-estimated combined mpg rating is for the automatic version.
Cheapest New Cars (With Automatic Transmissions)
1. 2022 Chevrolet Spark LS: $15,695
2. 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage ES: $16,990
3. 2022 Kia Rio LX: $17,275
4. 2022 Hyundai Accent SE: $17,670
5. 2022 Nissan Versa S: $17,775
6. 2022 Kia Forte FE: $20,115
7. 2022 Hyundai Venue SE: $20,125
8. 2022 Kia Soul LX: $20,505
9. 2022 Nissan Sentra S: $20,535
10. 2022 Hyundai Elantra SE: $20,875
2022 Chevrolet Spark LS
Price: $15,695, including $995 destination charge
Combined fuel economy: 33 mpg