CARS.COM — SUVs are the vehicle of choice in 2016 and the midsize category is one of the most popular with shoppers. They’re large enough to carry five adults comfortably, with plenty of cargo space but not the fuel penalty that full-size SUVs impose.
The 2016 Midsize SUV Challenge
Our criteria for this year’s test were simple: Each SUV model had to come in for less than $45,000, including its destination fee. Contenders included the 2016 Ford Edge, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2017 Kia Sorento and 2016 Nissan Murano. We know that shoppers in this category like to get a lot of bells and whistles with their SUV, and these came nicely equipped.
Our judges for this Challenge were:
- Kelsey Mays, a Cars.com senior editor
- Jennifer Newman, Cars.com managing editor
- Mark Williams, a Cars.com assistant managing editor
- Brian Robinson, a producer from the PBS show “MotorWeek”
- Johnny and Marianne Walker, parents of two boys and in the market for a two-row midsize SUV
You can see how we conducted testing below the results. Here’s how they finished: