2001 Cavalier

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

$917 - $5,269  MSRP Range
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

4.0

Have you driven the 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier?

Dave 52552

by nich52552 from New Somerset,OH on Thu Jan 28 2010

We bought the 2001 Cavalier LS for my daughter and it has been a very good car so far. It is very confortable for a compact car. Having the LS seating makes a big difference from the base Cavalier. Thye performance has been excellent, we normally get 30 MPG locally, the car handles very well for its size, the exterior styling is very good, the interior design is very nice, it does have the LS package which is alot nicer than the base model,The features are just what you need, the reliability of the car has been very good so far. It was a good buy for what we paid for it.

170K, and I'd drive 1K tomorrow if I had to.

by Copperjock from Tulsa, Ok on Sat Jun 14 2008

I've had this car since spring, 2001. Mostly highway miles for me. Bought it to get me back and forth to work (40 miles one way). Been changing the oil every 5,000-6,000 miles (for me is every 3 months). It's really been a great car, drove it west to Yellowstone in the summer , and a year or two later drove it east to Pennsylvania and Michigan in the winter. Both trips over 3,000 miles each and she's handled it all wonderfully. I have done nothing to this car, except for replace a relay that, ironically, they put on it to solve a recall issue. Here today, it does have some maintenance issues, but nothing that would stop me from driving it to Florida right now if I had to, and they are nothing you wouldn't expect to do on a car with that kind of mileage. As a matter of fact, I just this week replaced the last original tire on the car, 167,000 miles on a tire... (Goodyear Conquest) Overall, it's been a great car to me and I am struggling to decide to trade it off or tend to the maintenance items, the most significant of which is that one cylinder had low compression, she idles rough these days, but still gets me to work and back, as she has so many times before.

Value and Reliability

by Joe from Maine on Fri Apr 18 2008

I've been driving this car for 4 years now, and for a budget priced car it is incredibly reliable. The most important aspect of a car in my opinion is knowing that when I turn the key it will turn on and get me where I need to go, and this car has done that every time. It has never broken down and never given me any problems. It also gets excellent gas mileage. The only downside I have found is that it is not very comfortable on long trips (2 hours or more), however if you are on a budget, I would definitely recommend it.

Awesome sporty little sedan!

by phoongdan from PHX on Mon Mar 21 2011

I have owned my 2001 alternative fuel Cavalier sedan for more than 4 years now. What a great little car this is! 4 years after I bought the car used, it has still maintained its resale value. The alt-fuels really hold their value due to rising gas prices. The car has been exceptionally reliable. I had to replace a water pump at about 120,000 miles and more recently a faulty tail light socket at about 130,000 miles and other than basic maintenance, that's it! Great breaks too. The car is quick too! It's a 2.2L 115hp but with a few minor upgrades (air filter system, exhaust) and running synthetic oil you can easily boost this up to 125-150hp and then the car is quite zippy! I've outrun several other similar 4-cylinders. Keep in mind that this car is exceptionally light in its class, so it has a favorable horsepower to weight ratio. Plus about 25-30mpg in the city. I love the styling of this car - it looks great inside and out. Yes there are some minor issues with the plastic dashboard cracking from heat but other than that both the exterior and interior have held up well. My 10-year old paint job still looks good as does the original interior. Some people just don't know how to care for a car, and this creates a lot of their problems.

My First Car I bought and still own it

by Ish from Texas on Sat Jan 21 2012

I originally bought the 2001 model in 2004 and still own it (7 years later) . Years later I have literally have nothing wrong with. It had 39K miles and now has 118K so I do not drive very much a year but for the amount of time i've had it I would take trips from PA to FL numerous for college and now from FL to TX my home now. All through that it has handled great. Small maintenance items such as oil changes, brakes, tires and filters. Real easy fixes and for most cars during that time frame you could be putting in a couple of thousand. If you take of the car it will run forever and Chevy sure showed the reliability in this car. The down fall of this car though is the interior. I know friends with this car and it seems that my car had to worst of luck with the plastic cracking and eventually breaking. Areas of plastic are missing and makes my car look cheap. A little embarrassing but overall I can not complain since it has most likely saved me money over the long run. I would definitely recommend this car but to keep extra care of the interior.

Great car for the $

by loveMyCav from St. Cloud, MN on Wed Apr 09 2008

I bought an 01' Z24 cavalier in 2005, the only problems ive had were with a belt ($60 repair) and new tires ($200 for all 4).. best thing about this car is, it was inexpensive enough that i could pay cash for it, and when something needs to be fixed, it dosnt put me in the poor house to do so, my boyfriend has a 98' audi, he just spent $1400 on repairs, which would have cost me less than 1/2. So, if you want something fun to drive yet, dosnt break the bank, The Z24 Cavalier is the way to go!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by ed from houston tx on Mon Nov 20 2006

alittle slow on the on-ramp, but ive been pleased with my cavalier. only a few minor buys from 0 to 100,000. Alternator, and eventually an a/c compressor. Love the styling (especially in black) and the handleing is better than good as well. over all a great car for the money!

Alot of Car for a little money!

by HighFlyer from Calgary, AB on Fri Feb 15 2008

I've owned Gm Cars my whole life- I've owned a Honda, too. The Cavalier is by far my favorite of all. 2.4L Engine is sporty and fun, Punchy on the throttle and doesn't drink much gas. Exterior Styling is great, Mild and refined while still sporty, just buy one with a spoiler package. Interior is a little dated, but it at least has a nice padded dash. It has power everything and controls are well laid out and easy to use. My only gripe is that the power window switch is in the center console. Seats are supportive and comfortable on long journeys and the Traction Assist and Anti-lock brakes are very reassuring in the winter although cornering is a little bit mushy at high speeds. All in all, this is a fantastic A to B car, that drives very well and gets great mileage. I have yet to have a problem with this car. It is now Seven Years Old.

Nothing Special, But Perfect Economical Transit

by Joe_Car_Guy from Oklahoma on Wed Dec 25 2013

I would highly recommend these cars to new drivers, small families or anyone wanting to cut their gasoline bill in half. I have put nearly 20k miles on mine this year. It's not a racecar but I can merge comfortably on the interstate. On the hwy I get 31.5 to 34 mpg in town about 21. The 2.2L is on the verge of being underpower when in town with the ac going full force. Like any car parts will wear out but these cars are easier to work on than most small cars of this millennia and parts are dirt cheap. I replaced my blower motor for $35. You can find cars that will get better mpg but none in this price range. I've seen several of these get into the 200k miles. One I saw recently was knocking badly it didn't have much left but it still shifted smoothly and had over 375k miles.

Basic Cavy

by Angel Eyes from Ozark, MO on Mon Jul 31 2006

I got this car in 2004 at a really good price and have not had any problems in that time. My Cavy doesn't have any special power options but I do have a sun roof and a rear spoiler which I think really makes it sporty! I also get really good mileage (I drove across three states and only had to fill up two and a half times!) Very satisfied with my Cavy!!!

1 2 3 4