NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2012 Cruze

2012 Chevrolet Cruze

2012 Chevrolet Cruze

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze?

first new car (cruze eco)

by John P from Modoc County, CA on Sun Sep 11 2011

Great vehicle, has alot to offer. Milage varies on roads. Flat roads at 65mph gets aroung 42 mpg, do 55 and its almos 50mpg. Mountains cuts the milage down to aroung 28 - 30 mpg, still very good. Purchased vehicle at end of june and now its almost mid sept and I've put almost 4000 miles on the vehicle. Driving in a towns and cities with the stop and go the vehicle gets 29 - 32 mpg. Vehicle has a decent sized trunk that will fit a full size stroller and much more. Makes it great for road trips with the family. The car handles very well around extreme corners. At first I was concered when I was looking at the car because the dealer said it had a 4 cylinder engine. I took it to a steep mountain road that most 4 cylinder vehicles can't get over 45 mph on the hill. This vehicle achieved 75 mph and still had power to go faster. Very pleased. 4 cylinder with turboand auto with slap shift tech is great especially in towns which improves milage if driving the right way. Has great responsiveness, handles great, and gets great mpg. The cruze has great interior, not to dark and not to light that it blinds you on sunny days. Onstar with navigation works very well too. Bluetooth connectivity is great to talk on tne phone and drive, easy pair mode. This vehicle has great safty aspects and is compact enough to menuever in tight spaces.

The almost perfect "practical" car.

by Jake from Wisconsin on Mon Apr 16 2012

The reinvented GM spent a lot of time designing this vehicle with the help of Daewoo et al, and I think we finally have an American compact sedan to be proud of. It's nearly flawless in concept, looks sharp, is obsessively safe, gets great gas mileage and is a very comfortable all-round vehicle. Another poster here summed up the few, minor flaws rather well: The dash storage compartment is useless, the temp control knob needs to be moved due to your knee hitting it, the vehicle needs a trunk control button besides what's on the keychain, and don't ever drop anything small between the seat and the center console as you apparently will never see it again. The vehicle is also a couple thousand too pricey, which I believe forces folks to consider an "upgrade" like the Malibu, etc. But overall it's a sold little car and I'm really curious how the longterm value/reliability will hold up. It could go down as a solid contender vs the Camry/Civic market, or it could be a typical "old school" US auto with a much shorter practical lifespan due to substandard build quaility. Time will tell, and those of us buying it now are part of a grand experiment. Yeehaw!

Love my Cruze

by Cruze from Walnut Creek, CA on Fri Aug 09 2013

I bought this car 2nd hand with about 52k miles on it. Took it on a road trip through the hot nevada desert to the midwest for about 8 hours. No issues what so ever. Rides comfortably. Handles securely. Even fun to drive. Though Not as fun as a some other cars i've driven, but still nimble in town. Except for budget cheap low rent tires the dealer had put on the front end, noise levels are low. I like that this car has a small turbo in it. Shifts aren't as smooth as the cars i have owned from other brands, but when the turbo kicks in at about 2000 rpm, the car takes off. Engine noise is pronounced so if you like quiet when accelerating, i'd go with a different car. The transmission is geared more for fuel economy so sometimes you have to put it into manual mode when you are accelerating when making a turn because it thinks you don't need to accelerate quickly to merge into traffic safely, but it's not a big deal. I happily do it myself. Of all the cars i looked at, sub to compact cars, i liked the interior of the Cruze most, though i would have chosen a different material to put on the dash. Cloth is better than hard plastic, but leather would have been a better choice to use through out the various trim levels. The only real gripe i have is the very short center armrest. It slides forward but if you like to rest your elbow while driving, you will have to use your left hand more. A minor gripe i have are the awful rear speakers. I faded all the sound to the rear speakers and barely any sound came out of them. I adjusted the eq, still nothing. I had to turn the volume almost all the way up. Again, this is a minor gripe as i will have the fader on 0 any way. The rear passengers will have to settle for the volume and quality sound. The rear trunk on the Cruze is HUGE. As much trunk room as my RL. This is a huge plus for my many road trips. I was able to fit 2 medium duffle bags, 1 large duffle bag, a small cooler, a pillow, emergency kit, emergency gas can, 1 case of 24 16.9 ounce bottles of water, 3 cases of 24 glass bottles of soda, 1 large jacket, and 2 coats. The exterior of the car is conservative but looks more expensive with the help of the headlight and taillight units. I like the jewel like designs instead of the plain designs of decades past, especially at night. I plan on plus sizing the rims with 18 or 19 inch rims and tires, adding a subwoofer as the bass is abysmal, a traditional cd changer, amp, and upgraded speakers. I'm also looking into changing those clothes pieces around the dash and doors with leather. Other than these upgrades, the car is the perfect car for me. I am happy i decided to keep an open mind and bought an American car. This car is just as competitive with the other cars i looked at in its class, in terms of interior quality and styling. The interior won me over. The car does not feel cheap or barebones. Though i would skip the leather in the 2LT model. It felt more like cheap vinyl than leather, though that model has larger rims and tires, a sport suspension, heated seat and a slightly better sound system.

Better then my 2012 CIVIC!

by Swingle from Valparaiso In on Tue Jan 15 2013

Overall rating of my 2012 Cruze 1LT is VERY GOOD. For Comfort, the front seats are a bit hard at first, but soften after the first 1000 miles or so. Noise level inside is nonexistant! It is as quiet at 20mph as it is at 80mph. Performance is good for what it is. i have the 6 speed manual. i am able to downshift to get more power from the 138hp. engine. It is not quick, but very efficient!! Cornering is better then expected. Smooth comfortable ride. Drove the 6 speed automatic, Transmission seemed quirky. GO FOR THE MANUAL PEOPLE!! Don't be so LAZY! Exterior styling is good. Interior Design is very good except for the awkward placement of the front cupholders. Pleanty of storage otherwise. Value for the money? everyone wants to pay less. I purchased a new 2012 model at the end of the year with a manual transmission that was deeply discounted. twenty thousand six hundred msrp. I paid sixteen thousand six hundred or four thousand off sticker. not bad. Reliability is yet to be seen. under 2000 miles so far. Not to bash a car, my 2012 Civic was in the shop 4 times in the first 1200 miles. It is better then my 2012 CIVIC!! Yes i sold my HONDA CIVIC. I could not wait to get rid of it!!

Unexpected Small Car Excellence from GM

by Enthusiast from Michigan on Sat Nov 10 2012

This is my first compact GM car in 25 years due to their cheap interiors, mediocre styling and poor driving dynamics. My Cruze Eco manual has exceeded every expectation: the car is fun to drive, quiet, refined and regularly exceeds 45 MPG on my work commute. The firm European engineered front seats are very supportive, the ride with the sport spring suspension is well controlled and comfortable and the shifter throws are short and light. I have 11K miles without a single issue. The trunk is bigger than some mid-size cars and the interior room rivals a mid-size. The Pioneer sound system is worth the money, the fog lights work better than any factory lamps I've had on my cars, the nav screen is large, colorful with crisp readouts, the back up warning works well and the power seat, combined with the tilt/telescopic wheel, offers a wide rang of adjustability. If you want more power contact Trifecta (0-60 in 6.8 seconds - auto). GM engineers sweated the details to create a car that has exceeded the EPA ratings 100% of the time. My overall average is around 37 MPG actual, not indicated. The lighter weight and lowered CG contribute to a nimble feeling car. A friend who drives a BMW asked to trade cars after he drove my Cruze. I have to shift it more than my Corvette but that's part of the car's nature; the shifter is enjoyable to use so that's not a problem for me. This car looks good, handles well (tire limited, not chassis - Tire Rack has LRR tires that add 0.04 g's), is easy to see out of, has a solid structure (the doors sound like a Mercedes when they close) and has ten airbags. The car could use 40 HP and 50 ft. lbs. (if Trifecta can do it so can GM), four wheel disc brakes (using the Volts HD brake system would provide much improved stopping), and an armrest with cupholders for the rear passengers (Eco autos get one, not manuals). Those are my only complaints. I looked at other vehicles in the segment but was impressed by the Cruze's overall performance and value. If you're in the market for a refined, fun to drive, high MPG car I recommend test driving the Cruze Eco manual before making a purchase decision.

Great buy

by Happy from Kansas on Sat Dec 07 2013

Purchased my 2012 Cruze LT a month ago; an outstanding decision!!! Prior to making my final decision I accomplished substantial research in cost, fuel economy, and overall performance. I purchased the turbo; watch out, it may surprise you what Chevy was able to do with a 1.4, their best creation thus far if you ask me. Not only is it a fun car to "Cruze" around in, but it gets great mileage even stomping on the pedal. Don't be deceived by those who my knock this vehicle for its size. I have three kids (two in booster seats) and they ride just fine in the back. The only setback about the Cruze is that the seatbelts are built into the bench and can be a little tricky with three in the backseat - we make it work though. Lastly, the most important is the great safety rating the Cruze has. If you contemplate the Cruze, I highly encourage it.

Cruze better than hybrid

by Auto-Bot-1 from Southern California on Mon Aug 29 2011

I recently purchase a new 2012 Cruze Eco with the Auto transmission. I am so happy with this car, on the freeway it is super quite, has a great ride an best of all i was able to best the estimated mpg. Driving on the freeway I got 49.5 MPG!!!! and this is an automatic. it was incredible to drive over 560 miles without filling up the gas tank. With my old Ford focus I was filling up every 2 days. Bye Bye ford. Chevy Cruze really hit a home run with this car.

Cruzing in Memphis

by CJMississippi from Nesbit, MS on Sun Mar 11 2012

I've driven the 12 Cruze Eco Automatic for 1700 miles in interstate, urban, and exurban environments. The car is smooth, exceptionally quiet, and comfortable. Overall MPG thus far is 39. Features I like best are 6 speed automatic, 10 air bags, hands free calling through bluetooth-On Star, roomy trunk, the balance of the entire car, & sonic alert for large objects near rear of the car. Best GM car I have owned. My complaints are more like quibbles: extend the console arm rest by 2-3 inches, move front cup holders to the front of the shifter for driver's convenience, move hvac thermostat control (driver's right leg easily bumps into it), needs a rear seat back angle adjuster, delete small storage area on top of dash board (useless), & add rear disc breaks to the eco.

new car

by Newtoyork from binghamton, ny on Sat Aug 13 2011

I got the Eco model, bought on about Aug 7, 2011. Just took it to New York from Missouri and got about 39 mpg average for the first 1700 miles the car has on it. Love the styling in and out, on star navigation is amazing and the car handles like a champ. Only complaint is that the seats aren't the most comfortable. Any car ride of over 1200 miles is a long time to sit in a car though.

Loud engine

by Kevin from Indiana on Fri Jun 01 2012

We purchased a new 2012 Cruze LT in April for my wife and at first I was really impressed with this car. It looks great, the interior has an excellent fit and finish, and there are plenty of tech goodies. Then a couple of weeks after we bought it we took our first road trip and I noticed this horrible droning sound coming from the engine when we were cruising on the interstate. It sounded like the car was working extra hard just to keep up with traffic. My wife said she noticed it when she was driving to work one day and she thought that it was making that sound because she was running the air conditioning, but later noticed that it was making that sound all the time. A coworker of mine has a 2011 Cruze with the same 1.4 turbo engine so I brought my wife's car into work one day and my coworker and I drove both vehicles to see if there was a difference. His car was very quiet by comparison when driving on the highway. So I told my wife to take her car in to have it looked at and the dealership's response was that the sound was "normal" and there wasn't anything wrong. So now we have a brand new car that we can't stand to be in for any sort of highway driving because of the engine groan. I gave Chevy a second shot (used to have a Colorado that was always in the shop) because I thought that they had really stepped up their game, but I will never buy another GM product again.

Does not recommend this car!!