2005 Grand Caravan

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

4.1

Have You Driven the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan?

Love it! Love It! ******

by Smart Shopper from Murrysville, PA on Sat Jul 29 2006

My family bought the 2005 Grand Caravan SXT after weeks of research on mini-vans. We wanted top of the line features and safety on a budget. We bought our van with only 9,700 miles on it. It looked brand new right off the factory floor and still had that new car smell. The best part....we didn't take the hit on new car depreciation, the first owner did! Our van is fully loaded. Every factory option is in it except a moonroof which we don't care about anyway. With two, big, strapping boys we wanted roominess and comfort. This van has it all! I love the cream colored leather seats. They look rich and expensive but are comfortable as well. Since the van we traded was a 1998 Ford Windstar, when I drive this one, I feel like I am surrounded by luxury. I love the power of the 3.8 v6 when entering a highway ramp. I love the rear assist (Once on my Ford a pole jumped behind me and I hit it.) I can't say enough great things about this van!!!

Great Concept, Poor Follow through

by CT from Pittsburgh, PA on Fri Jul 25 2008

We purchased this Van new in 2005 and were absolutely sold on the Stow-n-Go. We stll are, and I can't imagine having a 3 row van without it. BUT our SXT has had SO many problems that we are very dissapointed. Right away we had issues with the rear lift gate. Under warranty, but so what? I still had to have my new van in the shop. Now we had a very wierd battery failure that I believe is due to an electrical problem. The air bag has a malfunction which we hope to fix this week, the CD quit working and there was a problem in the fuel injection that needed fixed just to name a few in 60,000 miles. The seating design rocks, and it drives fine for a van, the engine power is no problem with the larger V6, but sadly I feel like I have a fairly new vehicle that I don't trust, and I'm waiting to see what will break next.

Does not recommend this car!!

A good car

by Van lover from Kansas City, KS on Fri Aug 27 2010

I had previously owned a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan and while I enjoyed the creature comforts of the vehicle there were several nagging problems with it. the windshield wipers didn't work properly, and it had a history of major repairs that often left us stranded. After doing due diligence I discovered that my best bet was another Dodge Grand Caravan. The deal maker is the drive train. no intervention engine, supposedly the transmission issues have been solved and the 3.8 engine seems to be a very solid engine. I also love the stow and go seats. In my old van I had to take seats out and then put them back in all the time. With this vehicle, a few seconds and everything is ready to go, or be restored. The downside is that they've cheapen up the interior considerably. No fabric on the doors, all plastic now, fewer functions on the overhead display and just generally cheaper. That said, if the engine in this pup holds out as long as the old one and gives the same levels of comfort, it will have been a good purchase.

I love this van!

by Mom from Watertown, NY on Mon May 14 2007

What a versatile vehicle this is! The Stow and Go seats are the unique feature that SOLD me this van two years ago, and I have not been disappointed. I have my soccer-mom car with all the seating I need for six passengers, but in less than five minutes later my husband can convert it to a great vehicle for his Home Depot trips--there is so much room behind the front seats that you can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor! The only feature I wish I had purchased is the power rear hatch; I have the manuallly operated rear hatch and the door is almost too heavy for me to pull down (and I'm a tall woman and relatively strong).

Wonderful Car - with one caution

by Gary from Georgia on Thu Mar 01 2007

Car is wonderful, only concern so far and dealer has confirmed as a known problem is: The power steering can go from power to no power making turning an absolute scare. The Dealer has said that they know it is a poor design. No recalls yet. The problem occurs when a rush of water (going through a large puddle) gets into the main (serpentine) belt causing the belt to slow down (slip) causing the power steering of the Dodge grand caravan to feel as though it has manual steering. (2005 D Grand Caravan).

2nd one in 23 yrs,

by Michael from Rural, florida close to tampa on Sun Oct 15 2017

We put 225,000 miles on our 94 Caravan 3 liter. Our 2005 SXT has the 3.3 l. We currently have 165000 miles on that one. Did a water pump 3 years ago. EGR valve 10 years ago. And was in the shop once for warranty on the axle. Everything else falls under the category of scheduled maintenance. Love the two tone leather. DVD players only good when the kids are small. Novelty wears off. Like the space. Get 23 miles per gallon on trips. 21 miles per gallon at home in the country. No major complaints at all. We have short wheelbase which I prefer for U turns. Great vehicle for trips. Do my own oil changes once a year with extended performance Mobil 1. I hire the transmission serviced and the brakes done at 100000. Transmission serviced every 60 k. Brakes for done at 100. Had to turn the rotors also. Hoping to buy the new 2018 plug-in hybrid Pacifica even though don't have kids at home anymore. Because of the tax rebate and the mileage. It will be my first long-wheelbase Caravan vehicle. Always before they've given us the law off the price for example the 2005 was a $26,000 vehicle and we got it for 20 with rebates and dealer discounts. The 94 we got just got it also discounted, I don't recall how much. I might wait a year or two until the hybrids are discounted.

Best van I've ever owned

by Disneyfan from Asheboro NC on Tue Jun 19 2018

This vehicle had tons of room. Stow n go seats. Very comfortable on long trips. My daughters love this van and they're teenagers lol. It has taken us from Florida to New Jersey and all over the eat coast with no trouble.

very good van to support my family .

by Dillinger 57 from Butler,pa.16001 on Thu Apr 27 2017

Would buy another one very reliable van recommend my friends to buy one.Great fuel mileage also has good safety standards I need that for my grand daughter.Great all around Vehicle.

A good vehicle and nice space for the money.

by JCliver from Spartanburg, SC on Mon Sep 17 2018

This van met all of our needs for a family vehicle for a family of 5 including family vacations and moving kids back and forth to college. A lot of space and the best value for the a versatile vehicle. Seven seats and good entertainment options.

Exellent car for the past 5 years

by David from Thousand Oaks, CA on Wed Dec 08 2010

We have had our Grand Caravan for about 5 years now and it has been very reliable and very comfortable to drive on long trips. Gets real good gas millage for all that it can do. We are a family of 6 and this car has always had enough room to meet our needs. The seats fit great and driving is a pleasure with the firm solid feel the van has. Well built car!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Settling in for the long haul

"Now, I owe it to myself to tell you, Mr. Griswold, that if you are thinking of taking the tribe 'cross country, this is your automobile. The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. You think you hate it now, but wait till you drive it."

- Ed, the car salesman, to Clark W. Griswold, "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983)

Can I admit something for a minute? I used to hate minivans. I mean loathe.

They were the rolling symbol of sedate. They breathed boredom. They screamed "family truckster."

I'm not alone. Ask your 20-year-old neighbor kid whether he wants to sit in yours, then watch as he looks at you sideways, picks up his iPod and heads home.

What's wrong with minivans? Nothing... Read More