2009 Journey

3.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great Value

by Mike from Detroit on October 19, 2008

I purchased my new Journey three weeks ago. At first, I wasn't sure what to think. I bought it because it fit my budget. Although I really wanted a quality used luxury sedan for my family of five, I decided to by new instead. Love the handling, the features, the roominess (looks tight, but feels big), and all the attention to detail in the engineering. Not my luxury car, but a good addition to the family that I enjoy driving.

The Journey Has Begun

by Wannabe Auto Journalist from Tupelo, MS on May 21, 2008

My wife and I needed more room, but loathed the minivan stigma. I was in the market for a crossover with a third row that could fit a couple of kids if needed. We had our hearts set on the Acadia, but after a test drive realized it was too large for the misses, who was used to a Camry. The 2009 Dodge Journey had just came out, so we went by just to see how it stacked up. We were blown away and ordered one the next day. We have now owned ours a week and have logged over 1,00 miles including one road trip. The exterior is very sleek. I have the 19" wheels and roof rack, which make a huge difference. The high body line and taillights make the Journey appear taller than it is, which I like. Also noticable are the diamond headlights. The intierior is not the prettiest, but that's not what Dodge was going for. Functionality is key with the Journey. From built-in coolers to built-in booster seats, this vehicle is perfect for families and road trips. The 5+2 flexible seating third row actually has decent room, perfect for young children. Of course, when they are not needed, they fold flat leaving ample cargo room. For even more space, the 2nd row and front passanger seats also fold flat. The ride is very smooth, although you do have to really press the accelerator to see a response. I have experienced very little body roll and enjoy the raised seating position. All the above features were enough to buy, but my favorite is the MyGig stereo system. The MyGig is able to download music from cds and USBs and play them in the jukebox setting. You can also download pictures for the display. The MyGig is very intuitive and easy to use. Overall, we are very pleased with our Journey. On our fist road trip (around 600 miles) we averaged 24 mpg, which was surprisingly considering the sticker posted 23 hwy. It is exactly what we were looking for and we are now looking forward to many more Journies to come.

Best Car Ive Had

by BCraig16 from Snellville Ga on August 7, 2017

Smooth sailing car. Shifts smooth. Drives smooth. Comfortable seating. Plenty of space. Has built in booster seats. All seats can lean back. Doesnt take much to fill it up. Very comfortable driving. I absolutely love this car.

You get what you pay for

by Bye Bye Journey from Toronto on June 24, 2016

I have owned a 2009 SXT Journey since 2010. PROS: 7 seater, looks nice, good engine power(V6), as far as engine goes it's been reliable. Nice to drive, smooth ride. Now the longer CONS list: Brakes are horrible and need frequent replacement, I have become efficient at doing my own brakes out if necessity to save money. The pads need replacing every 6-9 months and rotors about once a year. First 2 times brakes needed to be done I went to dealer and they only lasted about 24,000 kilometers. No difference when I do them myself, to extend the brake life it is important to service them every 6 months (grease the sliders clean components and if you want to make them stretch out longer tap all the old rust off the rotors, this technique prolongs needing to change them by 6 months MAX. By far the poor brakes for this vehicle are it's biggest downfall. My frost plugs completely corroded this past March 2016 and due to their location it is a labour intensive job and for $40 dollars worth of parts a final bill of $990 is a hard pill to swallow. (Had to drop the tranny to access the plugs) Luckily they failed while the car was parked in my driveway and I was dumbfounded as I could not visualize the source of the leak, if it was a hose or radiator issue I would have done the repair myself. I needed a mechanic to fix it. From day one we had issues with the starting system, would frequently not start and only 'click' with no turnover, paid dealership to do some software stuff but it never resolved the issue, I called the dealer recently about a recall I heard of on the news and although my Journey was not part of that recall it did have another recall related to this problem, They replaced the RFDI and new key fobs and the repair is working well. No longer an issue. Ultimately I am a Dodge guy and I wish the Journey didn't have the break issues it does (this is a wide spread problem with Journeys that is well documented and apparently fixed post 2012 model. I'm not willing to find out for myself) The other issues I had with this Journey were not horrible and overall the car never died on us or left us stranded. Things like wheel bearings (which I recently replaced both front ones) can be expected to go on any vehicle. I got to the point with the Journey that I wasn't confident with it anymore barring the poor brakes so it's time to look at a different vehicle. If you have an older Journey be prepared to spend at minimum $1000 yearly on maintenance or more if you rely on a mechanic to do all of your work. This car could be a lot better. The brakes are inexcusable. premature wear not due to driving habits but I can only believe that the brakes on the vehicle are too small for the weight of it. From cheap brake components to expensive ones the life span on the brakes was extremely poor.

Does not recommend this car!!

Nice looking car I bought it used

by Leonardo from Red bank New Jersey on June 22, 2014

I search for two weeks in a lot car dealers, comparing cars and models and prices and this was the best I could find in Princeton New Jersey and happy with this car the color interior and exterior thanku cars.com.

Great for family

by Dan from Brandon, MB Canada on April 24, 2009

My wife and i purchased our journey about 7 mths ago, and currently have 19000 kms. We really appreciate all the space we have as storage, for only 235hp it has sufficient passing power. the tranny is alittle clunky and ride noise is alittle on the high side on vary windy days(45-55km/hrs). All in all we are vary happiy with the vehicle and recommend it to new families.

Nothing but problems!

by Normal person looking for a reliable vehicle from Indianapolis, IN on January 20, 2016

I bought this car brand new with 3 miles on it in March of 2008. It was great for about 3 years then quickly started falling apart. I currently have 110, 000 miles on it (1/20/2016) and have had the battery replaced 3 times, the starter replaced twice, brakes replaced 3 times and am currently on the 3rd set of tires. A new heater has also been replaced at $1,500. The battery is located under the driver's seat and is very inconvenient. The tires on my particular Journey are 19" tires. Those run around $1,400 for a set. Yes this car looks sharp on the outside but is a complete problem. It has also had electrical problems on top of everything else. I would rather drive a 25 year old car with rust all over it that is reliable than this thing! Please save your money and look elsewhere!

Does not recommend this car!!

Meh...Not such a great deal after all

by Unhappy Journey Owner from Phoenix AZ on July 24, 2011

I bought my 2009 Journey new and it now has over 42K miles on it and is now out of warranty. I replaced the front AND rear brakes before 25K miles. The silly little rearview/watch-your-kids mirror has been replace 4 (FOUR!) times and I still use a matchbook to keep it closed. I replaced the battery (which, by the way, is located in the front wheel well!) only to discover that my battery wasn't the problem. I still don't know why it won't start sometimes (like a couple of times a week) and I am still waiting for it to finish breaking down so that I can show the dealership that it is indeed not working. I have also had my horn (Yes, my horn!) replaced TWICE. There is also a short somewhere in my alarm that no one can find. My alarm will start blaring randomly when I go to disarm the car and no amount of button pushing or pleading will make it turn off. I end up having to pull the fuse under the hood! (Talk about embarassing in a parking lot full of people!) I thought all the extra storage bins would be handy, but most of them won't open and close properly. I will say that I like the room, the overall look, and the get-up-and-go of my Journey. I have the V6 and it gets reasonable gas mileage. (19-20 mpg) I like the stereo and the 6 disc player. But, all in all, I am VERY disappointed in this vehicle and only wish I'd done more research before buying it! I'll be trading it in as soon as I can!

Very Reliable

by sonreg from on May 23, 2014

I purchased this vehicle used and have had no problems. It handled extremely well this past winter, always started with no problem, never got stuck in the snow. Very comfortable ride.....I consider this to be a good quality vehicle.

Randomly does not start

by Unhappy owner from NJ on September 10, 2013

I have a 2009 SE and have owned this car since 2010 when it was purchased with 36,000 mi. it was very reliable for the first 2 years but for the last 6 months it is falling apart. Most notably and frustratingly it randomly does not start. the battery has been replaced (100.00) the starter (500.00) the ignition (350.00) the TPM($1200.00) and the alternator (625.000) the problem persists. The car will be functioning fine but randomly will not crack or turn over. power and mechanical systems appear fine but it won't start. The dealer cannot diagnose the problem. I just spent over a thousand dollars on the TPM because this was his best guess and two weeks later I was stuck for 2 hours before it would start. after a time it starts right up like it never had a problem. Dodge denies there is an issue but there are websites devoted to this specific concern. (type " my journey won't start" into any search engine and see what I mean") this car is a total lemon and now I have a 4 year old car that is so unreliable I don't want my wife to drive it around with the kids in it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8