Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2009 Journey

2009 Dodge Journey

2009 Dodge Journey

3.9

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2009 Dodge Journey?

Best Car Ive Had

by BCraig16 from Snellville Ga on Mon Aug 07 2017

Smooth sailing car. Shifts smooth. Drives smooth. Comfortable seating. Plenty of space. Has built in booster seats. All seats can lean back. Doesnt take much to fill it up. Very comfortable driving. I absolutely love this car.

LOVING THIS VEHICLE

by Krazi Hamilton from Tremonton, Utah on Wed Jul 18 2018

Lots of room and cargo space extra storage compartments. Sleek and comfortable while compact. Recommended for anyone who doesn't want a minivan, Family preferred. Booyah!

to many issues dont reccomend buying

by cj from waterville mn on Sun Nov 25 2018

not dependable over time; something always wrong with it.many issues the car should be recalled for wish i would of bought a 60s or 70s car new cars are junk.

Does not recommend this car!!

Can’t wait to buy the car!

by Skame22 from on Wed Oct 18 2017

I only test drive it but I love it! I like the stylish looks and the engine size. It had plenty of get up and go in the highway compared to the other suvs I test drove. I also loved the extras it came with. Leather seats, heated mirrors, back up camera to name a few. Also low mileage. I’m sold! Ready to take it home.

out of 5 starsReliability

Recall

by Katie1103 from Toledo,Ohio on Thu Oct 25 2018

It should be a recall!! I shouldn’t have to replace the heater in it every year, sometime more than once! Especially since I have two kids.

Does not recommend this car!!

You get what you pay for

by Bye Bye Journey from Toronto on Fri Jun 24 2016

I have owned a 2009 SXT Journey since 2010. PROS: 7 seater, looks nice, good engine power(V6), as far as engine goes it's been reliable. Nice to drive, smooth ride. Now the longer CONS list: Brakes are horrible and need frequent replacement, I have become efficient at doing my own brakes out if necessity to save money. The pads need replacing every 6-9 months and rotors about once a year. First 2 times brakes needed to be done I went to dealer and they only lasted about 24,000 kilometers. No difference when I do them myself, to extend the brake life it is important to service them every 6 months (grease the sliders clean components and if you want to make them stretch out longer tap all the old rust off the rotors, this technique prolongs needing to change them by 6 months MAX. By far the poor brakes for this vehicle are it's biggest downfall. My frost plugs completely corroded this past March 2016 and due to their location it is a labour intensive job and for $40 dollars worth of parts a final bill of $990 is a hard pill to swallow. (Had to drop the tranny to access the plugs) Luckily they failed while the car was parked in my driveway and I was dumbfounded as I could not visualize the source of the leak, if it was a hose or radiator issue I would have done the repair myself. I needed a mechanic to fix it. From day one we had issues with the starting system, would frequently not start and only 'click' with no turnover, paid dealership to do some software stuff but it never resolved the issue, I called the dealer recently about a recall I heard of on the news and although my Journey was not part of that recall it did have another recall related to this problem, They replaced the RFDI and new key fobs and the repair is working well. No longer an issue. Ultimately I am a Dodge guy and I wish the Journey didn't have the break issues it does (this is a wide spread problem with Journeys that is well documented and apparently fixed post 2012 model. I'm not willing to find out for myself) The other issues I had with this Journey were not horrible and overall the car never died on us or left us stranded. Things like wheel bearings (which I recently replaced both front ones) can be expected to go on any vehicle. I got to the point with the Journey that I wasn't confident with it anymore barring the poor brakes so it's time to look at a different vehicle. If you have an older Journey be prepared to spend at minimum $1000 yearly on maintenance or more if you rely on a mechanic to do all of your work. This car could be a lot better. The brakes are inexcusable. premature wear not due to driving habits but I can only believe that the brakes on the vehicle are too small for the weight of it. From cheap brake components to expensive ones the life span on the brakes was extremely poor.

The Journey Has Begun

by Wannabe Auto Journalist from Tupelo, MS on Wed May 21 2008

My wife and I needed more room, but loathed the minivan stigma. I was in the market for a crossover with a third row that could fit a couple of kids if needed. We had our hearts set on the Acadia, but after a test drive realized it was too large for the misses, who was used to a Camry. The 2009 Dodge Journey had just came out, so we went by just to see how it stacked up. We were blown away and ordered one the next day. We have now owned ours a week and have logged over 1,00 miles including one road trip. The exterior is very sleek. I have the 19" wheels and roof rack, which make a huge difference. The high body line and taillights make the Journey appear taller than it is, which I like. Also noticable are the diamond headlights. The intierior is not the prettiest, but that's not what Dodge was going for. Functionality is key with the Journey. From built-in coolers to built-in booster seats, this vehicle is perfect for families and road trips. The 5+2 flexible seating third row actually has decent room, perfect for young children. Of course, when they are not needed, they fold flat leaving ample cargo room. For even more space, the 2nd row and front passanger seats also fold flat. The ride is very smooth, although you do have to really press the accelerator to see a response. I have experienced very little body roll and enjoy the raised seating position. All the above features were enough to buy, but my favorite is the MyGig stereo system. The MyGig is able to download music from cds and USBs and play them in the jukebox setting. You can also download pictures for the display. The MyGig is very intuitive and easy to use. Overall, we are very pleased with our Journey. On our fist road trip (around 600 miles) we averaged 24 mpg, which was surprisingly considering the sticker posted 23 hwy. It is exactly what we were looking for and we are now looking forward to many more Journies to come.

Nice looking car I bought it used

by Leonardo from Red bank New Jersey on Sun Jun 22 2014

I search for two weeks in a lot car dealers, comparing cars and models and prices and this was the best I could find in Princeton New Jersey and happy with this car the color interior and exterior thanku cars.com.

Great Value

by Mike from Detroit on Sun Oct 19 2008

I purchased my new Journey three weeks ago. At first, I wasn't sure what to think. I bought it because it fit my budget. Although I really wanted a quality used luxury sedan for my family of five, I decided to by new instead. Love the handling, the features, the roominess (looks tight, but feels big), and all the attention to detail in the engineering. Not my luxury car, but a good addition to the family that I enjoy driving.

Great for family

by Dan from Brandon, MB Canada on Fri Apr 24 2009

My wife and i purchased our journey about 7 mths ago, and currently have 19000 kms. We really appreciate all the space we have as storage, for only 235hp it has sufficient passing power. the tranny is alittle clunky and ride noise is alittle on the high side on vary windy days(45-55km/hrs). All in all we are vary happiy with the vehicle and recommend it to new families.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2009 Dodge Journey

Dodge's 2009 Journey is a bizarre SUV. There's nothing wrong with it really. It's large, affordable and comes in an array of trim levels and prices, along with a choice of four- and six-cylinder engines and either front- or all-wheel drive. It can also be equipped with an optional third row of seats.

None of that is the problem. What bothers me is where the Journey fits in the current automotive landscape. When equipped with a V-6 engine and third row, it goes head-to-head with the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot, both newly redesigned models with solid fan bases and proven reliability. Take that third row out and it has to fight off the Ford Edge and Hyundai Santa Fe. Stick with the base four-cylinder engine... Read More