NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2005 Ram 1500

2005 Dodge Ram 1500

2005 Dodge Ram 1500

4.4

Have You Driven the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500?

Awesome! High speed handling issues though...

by Audioforge from Nevada on Wed May 30 2007

The 5.7 Hemi is off the hook when it comes to power and response. The body style is second to none and the overall performance is absolutely wonderful. The only issue I have is that the cornering does not perform to the vehicles potential high speed capabilities. High speed cornering is scary and dangerous. However, low profile tires and a good handling package should resolve this issue. It's also rated at over 8000lbs for towing which is great for a half ton truck. Overall, looks great and lots of fun to drive! I love mine and I recommend this vehicle 110%!

It's not for short people

by DodgeFan from Illinois on Tue Oct 13 2009

I LOVE my dodge and it does the job that I purchased it for very well. I pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer (12,000 lbs) and 3 horses (3400 lbs) and "Bertha" does the job without a groan or whine. The only compliant I have is that the truck does not take women, especially short ones into consideration. The way the mirrors attach to the side of the truck and the position of them makes a major blind spot! I know this sounds silly, but the mirrors are directly in my line of vision. I do not have this issue with Ford 150 as the seat makes you sit higher in the car. To solve this problem, I had to purchase a booster seat. But problem solved. Major whine, but wouldn't stop me from purcasing another one. My friends have stopped laughing at me now. By the way, I am 5'2.

Uses car for Towing

Great Salesman

by Truck Man from Sterling, Il on Mon Mar 11 2013

I purchased my vehicle from chad and it was an awesome experience! He made everything simple and easy! We drove the vehicle and he was sure to explain in detail all the features of the truck! When it came to the numbers he was sure to make it simple to understand. The dealership was a comfortable laid back environment that everyone was very helpfull and easy to get along with! I recomend everyone to go to the Pete Harkness Chrysler Buick Dodge Jeep store and talk to Chad! They wont let you down!

I love my truck!!!

by EnduranceFreak from San Jose, CA on Sat Jun 23 2007

It is gorgeous inside and out and runs great and looks so hot with my horse trailer behind it! It isn't fully loaded, so there are somethings I plan on doing to it, I'm looking into changing the door handles to chrome, putting running boards on it, tinting the windows and lifting it and put flows on it, and when all of that is done it will be amazing. I cannot wait, i love my truck. Its a work in progress, but it will get there.

Awesome full size truck

by taztonio from Raleigh, NC on Tue Dec 27 2011

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4 Quad SLT leather seats (metal folding shelf 2nd row) I needed a family size truck as my old pickup was too small. Seats aren't as plush like Ford, but are comfortable enough for 6-8 hour trips no problem. Power, if you have the option get the 5.7, I drove the 4.7 and it is under powered but better on gas mileage. I actually enjoy my 20 min commute now at 14.5 mpg. The doors leak air, took me almost 3 weeks to quiet it down. I still have a small leak. The newer trucks 09+ have a different door design (guess I'm not the only one with issues). Maintenance schedule is hectic. 3K mile oil changes, 30K mile plugs (plats apparently don't work?), differentials and transmission need constant attention. Maybe the schedule is to keep the truck reliable but its a lot heavier than Toyota, Ford, Chevy to my knowledge. On everything else I've owned I go 5K-7.5K miles on full synthetic ... cut down to 4K for the Ram. 2005 has the new style Hemi engine but the Rams didn't get fuel saving benefits until 2006. On that note the 2005 seems to be something of a misfit. Some parts fit from the 2003-2005 and others go from 2005-2008. If you choice b/w the 2005 & 2006 there is a difference and I recommend the 2006. Until 2009 there aren't a lot of changes so 2006 would be the sweet spot for a used 1500. A cool feature my truck was a folding metal shelf on the 2nd row. I don't know if I'll ever use it, but its nice to know I won't trash my seats if I ever need to carry something in the cab.

Can be a real pain in the back-side

by 1Ruger4570 from Utah on Mon Dec 07 2009

Overall the truck has been pretty good. There is a recurring issue with the driver's side seat track. It has failed on me 5 times in 36,000 miles. When the track fails it allows the seat to lunge forward and back around six inches upon braking or accelerating. Dodge does not wish to honor any warranties on the truck and has told me that it is basically my problem. They suggested that I buy a new truck from them, at full price, because apparently they now stand by their vehicles. I have spent a lot of money keeping my pristine condition truck in "safe" operating condition. Overall the truck is great except that Dodge will not stand by their product. I will never buy another vehicle from Dodge.

Does not recommend this car!!

Worse truck ive ever had

by mycumminsaintcomin from Ohio on Tue Jun 23 2009

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Cummins Diesel and at 2500 miles I had a tranny blow, ive had some kind of pressure censors go bad in the transmission about 4 times, ive replaced ALL U-Joints twice, Wheel bearings twice, tie rods and drag links... if you name it ive replaced it on this hunk of junk truck... it is currently at the dealership because the engine blew after the "Chrysler Certified Mechanic" drove my truck and told me the horrible whining noise that I heard was my drive shaft u joint that was just replaced and 30 miles later the next day my truck started smoking so bad that people behind me stopped. This truck is such a mess that I dont even have the heart to trade it off because someone else will buy it and get stuck with it...

A Great Truck

by Kevin from Kenosha, WI on Tue May 29 2007

I purchased my Ram in 06. I love almost everything about it. The worst part is the gas milage. It can be a little thirsty if you have a lead foot. I like that chrysler is starting to get creative with different storage options such as the underseat storage, both back seats and the middle front seat. The fold-flat floor in the back has been very handy as a seat/bed for my dog, it is also nice to haul things that you don't want to put in the bed. The dash styling however is a little bland but of typical chrysler standards. Lots of plastic and a easy to use no frills radio. The truck fits four adults very comfortably. We have put six in the cab and its not too bad either. I have had an issue with the power steering leaking but it has been fixed by the dealer under warranty. Overall it is a very nice truck.

dodge owner

by Alaskan from Valdez, Ak on Tue Feb 03 2009

I own the 2005, hemi 5.7, single cab. Have had my rotors resurfaced at 15,300 miles, egr valve replaced at 3 1/2 years, based on 7k miles a year. Not good when you buy it new and expect more out of a new truck. I do love the power it has for getting around, gas mileage is not too bad for a truck, just hope other things don't start going bad on it.

Never Own Another DODGE product

by DODGE Hater from Indianapolis IN on Fri Dec 28 2007

Got truck new, have had nothing but problems out of it. Last Dodge product I will ever own. HEMI has alot of power, but it is unreliable. Had to have lifters, rockerarms and pushrods replaced at 50000 miles dealer said he heard a wrist pin knocking once, said he didn't hear it again and did not fix. Still sounds like lifters are collapsing. I think it must be an oil flow issue. Brake rotors warp regularly. EGR valve, power steering pump, windshield wiper switch, front drive shaft, rotors have all been replaced. Has bad vibration dealer can't (or won't) fix. I could go on and on, the truck has issues. All in all the dealership has had for at least 4 months since I've owned it. Too many miles for the lemon law I've already tried. DON"T BUY A DODGE. what good is a lifemtime warranty when they won't even honor their 7 year

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Our Take on the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Yes, the big Dodge Ram pickup still has a Hemi.

The truck that began DaimlerChrysler’s renaissance of the Hemi engine design, the current-generation Ram Heavy Duty that debuted in fall 2002, still includes the 5.7-liter Magnum Hemi V-8 as its standard engine for model year 2005, and will again this fall in the 2006 models.

Little did the Chrysler folks know when they introduced this revival of the Hemi in the Ram Heavy Duty lineup for 2003 that consumers would gobble these engines up not only in a Ram 2500 model such as our test vehicle this week, but also in an entire range of Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep vehicles — cars, trucks and SUVs — that have come onto the market since.

It was... Read More