2017 FIAT 124 Spider consumer reviews

side view of 2017 124 Spider FIAT
Explore the 2017 FIAT 124 Spider
Shop the 2017 FIAT 124 Spider
2.9

Unreliable car for daily long commute

I owned this car good as new with 4thousand miles and currently I have 56thousand miles and in the dealer for its 3rd repair 2nd time due to cylinder head failure. I use this car for my daily commute to work which is like 100miles round trip. I even use it for winter seasons just switching to winter tires. Not very happy and planning to trade it in with a type R.

4.1

Nice cruising classic!

This Fiat is stylish and fun. Lots great and drives well. Arrive in style and cruise around town. Looks great with top up or down. “Spider, Spider!”

Outstanding sports car

A fantastic driving experience. The 124 Spider has outstanding performance and handling along with classic styling - all at a reasonable price. If you enjoy top down motoring on a twisty road, the 124 Spider deserves a serious look.

Weirdly fantastic for a daily driver...

I've owned this car for about 3 months so far, and so far it has been fantastic! So fun to drive, quick, and turns heads very often. Let me start out by saying that the version of this car with the halogen headlights is hideous, it looks super bug-eyed from the front in my opinion. The car I bought is the Lusso Plus trim with LED headlights and I think it legitimately looks fantastic from all angles, who doesn't love the low slung roadster look, and the LED headlights have fantastic visibility compared to the halogens and the Miata. I test drove a 2018 Miata while shopping around and while it was equally fun, I think the Fiat looks significantly better and sounds much more aggressive than the Mazda, which makes this an absolute blast to drive down city streets. I do think Fiat really dropped the ball with this car though, so many people ask me what it is. "Is it a new Miata", "Is it a new 2020 Fiat, I haven't heard of it?", stuff like that. That being said it really can't be beat for the price, super sporty, better steering than the Miata, and the suspension is a little softer, perfect for a daily driver. Noise on the highway isn't that bad honestly, quieter than many convertibles since they all come with the Miata's optional acoustic soft-top, and driving around town it is very quiet with the top up. The engine is a real high-point compared to the Miata of the same year though, a bit of fun turbo-lag and then poof, you're off with the grunt of a much larger engine. Gas mileage is fantastic as well, I pretty much exclusively use it for city driving with occasional highway trips, and in the city I get 25 MPG average. On longer trips with a lot of highway driving it will sometimes creep up to 39-40 MPG, but usually averages out around 35 MPG. This is all with me driving, and I do not go easy on the little 1.4L either. Wringing the car out is really where the Fiat feels like a much more expensive car though. I only paid $19k for a fully speced out Lusso model with 12.5k miles, and it drives better than a lot of higher end cars it would compete with that I've driven namely a 2015 BMW Z4 or a 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited with the performance package. Drifting is also a breeze if you're interested in that... The traction control will freak out if you keep it on, but the turbocharged engine has enough grunt to make you feel like a drift king even on dry pavement once the turbo kicks in. Really the only qualm I've had with the car was the dealership experience which many people have also brought up, I bought it from a Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealership and the only Fiat they had on the lot was a pink 500X, all of the Spiders, 500s, and 500Ls were located in their auxiliary parking so test driving and buying the car was kind of a pain. Since the salesman had to drive to the auxiliary lot and back which took like 25 minutes for both Spiders, the one I test drove, and the one I bought. Also, when I bought the car the coolant was incredibly low, below the overflow reservoirs bottom, and wasn't topped up during the final inspection, which I thought was very unprofessional. Then when I called I was basically told that because it was Sunday I wouldn't be able to get it topped up until late Monday and that I should be able to buy it myself it I wanted to top it up. I asked the salesman if there was any particular type it used and he said any would be fine... Which is very untrue for this car as it requires a very specific type and says you can use a regular IAT or HOAT coolant you should immediately drive it too the dealership to get drained as it can damage and clog the engine passages, and makes me glad I didn't take his word at face-value and instead checked the manual.

4.4

As a true Mazda Miata fan ...

my comfort in this Fiat purchase was that it was manufactured by Mazda and interior is identical to the Miata! At 1200 miles it's fun!

IM IN LOVE

So much fun. Much faster than I expected. Love the turbo! IT has all the bells and whistles. Great sound system, heated seats, back up camera and more.

1.9

Worst car Ive ever owned...wasnt a 2017 but a 1978

1976... piece of sh...t...Bought off the showroom floor... lasted about 2 years before things started falling off...I did like having a rear seat but only big enough for carseats... I've owned about 15 cars From 1963 til now.... 7 convertibles and 6 Harleys... now a 2005 Crossfire which out performs all of them...well except the HD... BUT for a 73 year old lady its perfect...

Fiat 124 Abarth

Bought this car 2 years ago. I love it. Great classic looks. Pretty much trouble free. Not enough HP to be a race car but enough to get me in trouble so I have to be careful. Great engine sound! Reasonably comfortable ride for an old fart. Great on curvy country roads - sticks like glue. It’s a sad day when she gets covered up for the winter. Generates smiles for me and others wherever we go. Great ambassador for Fiat. Regrettable that it will become an orphan.

great deal great car

Great car fun to drive, more power than I had hoped for, lots more luggage space in we expected over all it's been a great purchase

This car has the looks!

I love the styling of this Fiat Spider 124, Arbarth trim. It is old-school European classic and it is pretty. The Arbarth badge Doesn’t announce to the world the make of this car and it kills me that so many people look at it carefully and look again – and they don’t know what it is. Within the first week of me owning it I had random people guessing about its make: that it was a Ferrari. Or a Porsche. Or an alpha Romeo. So I LOVE that Arbarth badge! Also love the rumble of the motor when the top is down. It sounds good. It sounds like a roadster.