2017 124 Spider

2017 FIAT 124 Spider

2017 FIAT 124 Spider

Have You Driven the 2017 FIAT 124 Spider?

FOURTH TIMES THE CHARM

by MIATA/BOXSTER/SPIDER from Dallas, Texas on Tue Sep 27 2016

The Fiat 124 Spider has a transmission built by Mazda, an engine from Italy and a Pinafarina set of lines. The sum of this car is a stylish Italian version of an MX-5 that cost mid 20s to buy and tops out around the low 30s for a heavily optioned model. I have had three previous Miata's and they were the most trouble free cars I have ever purchased. Routine maintenance for oil changes and a set of tires were the only items I spent money on during my ownership. If you want a simple car that you can enjoy driving, check out the Fiat Spider. The turbo engine can take a little while to get going but this is not a race you to the stoplight kind of roadster. It is a pleasure to drive on curvy roads and in traffic when you have to change lanes. The interior is better suited to people under six feet tall and the seating is cozy but adequate for Sunday drives and weekday commutes. Decent seats and better insulation of the folding roof make the Spider a little quieter than the MIata. Still this car might be wearying on a long drive for big people or people with long legs. The car has a small trunk that will not hold golf clubs but will allow for two soft, medium size travel bags. While this might not be the best car for people living in the northern states, it works for me as a Texan and also because my wife already has a sedan. Everybody has different wants and needs for a car and I wanted a car that was fun to drive, good looking. and inexpensive to maintain, With the Spider, I got all three of them.

Fiat 124 Spyder - maybe not practical, but FUN!

by Tim from Norwood, NC on Sun Apr 09 2017

Just purchased this car for fun and commuting (can't commuting be fun)? This is a 2-seater convertible, so storage and practicality is not a consideration, but it has a reasonably-sized trunk. Interior is very stylish for a roadster. Seats are comfortable. Exterior has classic roadster looks/lines; very sporty. Exhaust note loud enough to enhance roadster experience, but won't wake the neighbors. Price is under $30k for all bells and whistles one would want. Turbo lag present, but I knew about it prior to driving - not planning to race. Can definitely feel the road more than previous BMW sedan at slower speeds, but on interstate it was much smoother. Some wind noise at high speeds with top up, but I don't have other convertible experience to compare it with. According to online forums, reliability has been good so far. The most common issue reported on those forums is a thermostat issue, so I'll be watching temps closely for a few months.

MY NEW TOY ...

by Bbubba_33 from Salt Lake City, Utah on Wed Apr 12 2017

FANTASTIC car, no!! GREAT NEW TOY for this 83 year 'young' gentleman that is feeling like a 49 year 'old' kid again. Try bringing in those youth years again ... GO OUT AND BUY YOUR SELF A 124 FIAT convert and enjoy life again. SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD .......

Very surprising little car!

by ChadM from Blaine, MN on Tue Apr 04 2017

I am really shocked at how well this little car is made. The ride is exceptionally good, it is quiet for a convertible and while the engine isn't overly powerful, it works well with the transmission for an excellent driving experience. I especially love how easy the top is to put up and down. My only criticism would be that the cup holder locations aren't as good as they could be.

Sooo glad I didn't buy another Miata

by Uncle Mike from Melbourne, FL on Tue Jan 09 2018

Let me start off and admit, this car is NOT for everybody. If you're too fat or too tall, get a Mustang. I was tempted to buy a Miata (Mx5) because I had one in the past. I liked the new styling and the reported (and generally agreed upon) reliability. However, once I saw and drove the new Fiat Spider, I had a new awakening. I was "taken" and couldn't get the car out of my mind. I really WASN'T in the market for a new car. But, the styling, the "feel" and thrust from the turbo were intoxicating. I searched until I found one with the equipment and in the price range I wanted. Fast forward, 2,000+ miles later and I'm still grinning ear to ear with my Classica. Most fun I've ever had (in a sports car). The previous concerns about Fiat's reliability are non-existent. What can you expect from a perfect pairing of Japanese reliability and Italian engineering? Nothing short of perfection.

Big things come in small packages

by Live Once! from Green Bay, Wisconsin on Sat Nov 25 2017

I decided after being hit by a car on my BMW 1600 GTL I was giving up luxury touring on a motorcycle for good. I experienced the excitement of driving an MG when I was younger so I began researching sports cars to replace my totaled motorcycle. After looking around and watching YouTube videos of sports cars I set my sights on the Fiat Spyder 124 Abarth. I didn?t even have to test drive one to know that was IT! I found just the one I was looking for in Dublin, Ohio and booked a flight to purchase it after striking a deal with the local Fiat dealers sales manager. I drove it to Kentucky and at a restaurant asked a delivery driver what were the best backroads to get to Nashville.The next morning was the funnest I ever had driving a car. Twisting, turning, paddle shifting down and up, hugging the road like a magnet, you?re kidding me, I love this car. Top down and music up, actually surrounded by a nine speaker Bose Stereo system with a subwoofer that?s pounding like my heart, all while the wind styles my flat top. Oh, out pops a deer, and just a quick jerk of the steering wheel left then right probably made the deer think the Abarth popped out, it was that responsive. Easy in sport mode to accelerate and just when you?re having fun, there sits a trooper, but just a touch of the Brembo brakes and I?m quickly slowing down enough to wave. Thank goodness. Sitting in the comfortable cockpit I?m in complete control. Everything I need to access is on the wheel via voice command or right by side in the form of a clever dial that allows me to navigate these winding roads without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off my next turn. At every stoplight or sign, or as I pass on by, I catch people gawking and rubbernecking to see what the heck kind of car that is. At every gas station someone will ask me what kind of car is that. I wish I had business cards, brochures, and a dealership of my own as I could have sold quite a few just by saying nothing at all.. Fiat built a winner that will stand the test of time. The Spyder 124 Abarth is a Classic right off the dealerships floor that has been equipped with all of the luxury items one needs in today sport touring world! Goodbye motorcycling, Hello my Fiat Spyder124 Abarth.

Must fun I have had in awhile

by Fiatbreath from Buffalo ny on Thu Dec 07 2017

I have owned approx 65 cars. Mercedes, Porsche, bmw, corvette, viper.this car may not be crazy fast, but the fun factor is an 11. Love the Italian looks. You are directly connected to this car. I have the manual, which IMO, is the only way to go.the only car I would put above this is my 1985 Porsche Carrera I once owned. I wish I could afford one now. If you looking for a real, rare, reasonable sports car, this is it.

Must fun I have had in awhile

by Fiatbreath from Buffalo ny on Thu Dec 07 2017

Great fun car

by GeneBW from Running Springs on Mon Jul 24 2017

Won this car but due to medical condition my wife and I are unable to fully enjoy...great car to have fun for 2 ...under 3K miles so just like new...convertible top up n down in 5 secs

Great Sporty Car

by Fiat 124 Spider from Bryant, Arkansas on Tue Oct 10 2017

Fantastic little sports car; has excellent response time; handles traffic, comfortable leather bucket seats; stylish interior and exterior; sports car design ad styling !!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2017 FIAT 124 Spider

The verdict:

The 124 Spider excels as a touring roadster, with a smooth manual transmission and a turbocharged engine that provides plenty of passing and climbing power. And when the road gets curvy, the 124 remains a willing and able dance partner.

Versus the competition:

The 124 Spider has only one true convertible competitor, the Mazda MX-5 Miata, and the two are evenly matched both on price and on the spec sheet. The Miata is the sharper of the two, but the 124 Spider is a better all-around vehicle and my choice for a daily driver.

Small, affordable, rear-wheel-drive roadsters are an endangered species; the Mazda MX-5 Miata has been the only remaining candidate for the past several years. So Fiat’s betting there’s room for one more contender, resurrecting the 124 Spider nameplate that hasn’t been seen in the United States since the 1980s.

Interestingly the 124 Spider is very much based on the Miata. It uses the same chassis, many of the same interior parts and even the same key fob as the Mazda. As Fiat loves to point out, though, there are a few differences that make driving each one a unique experience. It gave the 124 Spider different tuning for its steering and suspension, and there’s a... Read More