2017 124 Spider

2017 FIAT 124 Spider

2017 FIAT 124 Spider

4.4

Have You Driven the 2017 FIAT 124 Spider?

Fiat 124 Spyder - maybe not practical, but FUN!

by Tim from Norwood, NC on Sun Apr 09 2017

Just purchased this car for fun and commuting (can't commuting be fun)? This is a 2-seater convertible, so storage and practicality is not a consideration, but it has a reasonably-sized trunk. Interior is very stylish for a roadster. Seats are comfortable. Exterior has classic roadster looks/lines; very sporty. Exhaust note loud enough to enhance roadster experience, but won't wake the neighbors. Price is under $30k for all bells and whistles one would want. Turbo lag present, but I knew about it prior to driving - not planning to race. Can definitely feel the road more than previous BMW sedan at slower speeds, but on interstate it was much smoother. Some wind noise at high speeds with top up, but I don't have other convertible experience to compare it with. According to online forums, reliability has been good so far. The most common issue reported on those forums is a thermostat issue, so I'll be watching temps closely for a few months.

Sooo glad I didn't buy another Miata

by Uncle Mike from Melbourne, FL on Tue Jan 09 2018

Let me start off and admit, this car is NOT for everybody. If you're too fat or too tall, get a Mustang. I was tempted to buy a Miata (Mx5) because I had one in the past. I liked the new styling and the reported (and generally agreed upon) reliability. However, once I saw and drove the new Fiat Spider, I had a new awakening. I was "taken" and couldn't get the car out of my mind. I really WASN'T in the market for a new car. But, the styling, the "feel" and thrust from the turbo were intoxicating. I searched until I found one with the equipment and in the price range I wanted. Fast forward, 2,000+ miles later and I'm still grinning ear to ear with my Classica. Most fun I've ever had (in a sports car). The previous concerns about Fiat's reliability are non-existent. What can you expect from a perfect pairing of Japanese reliability and Italian engineering? Nothing short of perfection.

Big things come in small packages

by Live Once! from Green Bay, Wisconsin on Sat Nov 25 2017

I decided after being hit by a car on my BMW 1600 GTL I was giving up luxury touring on a motorcycle for good. I experienced the excitement of driving an MG when I was younger so I began researching sports cars to replace my totaled motorcycle. After looking around and watching YouTube videos of sports cars I set my sights on the Fiat Spyder 124 Abarth. I didn’t even have to test drive one to know that was IT! I found just the one I was looking for in Dublin, Ohio and booked a flight to purchase it after striking a deal with the local Fiat dealers sales manager. I drove it to Kentucky and at a restaurant asked a delivery driver what were the best backroads to get to Nashville.The next morning was the funnest I ever had driving a car. Twisting, turning, paddle shifting down and up, hugging the road like a magnet, you’re kidding me, I love this car. Top down and music up, actually surrounded by a nine speaker Bose Stereo system with a subwoofer that’s pounding like my heart, all while the wind styles my flat top. Oh, out pops a deer, and just a quick jerk of the steering wheel left then right probably made the deer think the Abarth popped out, it was that responsive. Easy in sport mode to accelerate and just when you’re having fun, there sits a trooper, but just a touch of the Brembo brakes and I’m quickly slowing down enough to wave. Thank goodness. Sitting in the comfortable cockpit I’m in complete control. Everything I need to access is on the wheel via voice command or right by side in the form of a clever dial that allows me to navigate these winding roads without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off my next turn. At every stoplight or sign, or as I pass on by, I catch people gawking and rubbernecking to see what the heck kind of car that is. At every gas station someone will ask me what kind of car is that. I wish I had business cards, brochures, and a dealership of my own as I could have sold quite a few just by saying nothing at all.. Fiat built a winner that will stand the test of time. The Spyder 124 Abarth is a Classic right off the dealerships floor that has been equipped with all of the luxury items one needs in today sport touring world! Goodbye motorcycling, Hello my Fiat Spyder124 Abarth.

Very surprising little car!

by ChadM from Blaine, MN on Tue Apr 04 2017

I am really shocked at how well this little car is made. The ride is exceptionally good, it is quiet for a convertible and while the engine isn't overly powerful, it works well with the transmission for an excellent driving experience. I especially love how easy the top is to put up and down. My only criticism would be that the cup holder locations aren't as good as they could be.

This car has the looks!

by Kim’sRedRoadster from St. louis on Tue Aug 20 2019

I love the styling of this Fiat Spider 124, Arbarth trim. It is old-school European classic and it is pretty. The Arbarth badge Doesn’t announce to the world the make of this car and it kills me that so many people look at it carefully and look again – and they don’t know what it is. Within the first week of me owning it I had random people guessing about its make: that it was a Ferrari. Or a Porsche. Or an alpha Romeo. So I LOVE that Arbarth badge! Also love the rumble of the motor when the top is down. It sounds good. It sounds like a roadster.

Great fun car

by GeneBW from Running Springs on Mon Jul 24 2017

Won this car but due to medical condition my wife and I are unable to fully enjoy...great car to have fun for 2 ...under 3K miles so just like new...convertible top up n down in 5 secs

Great Sporty Car

by Fiat 124 Spider from Bryant, Arkansas on Tue Oct 10 2017

Fantastic little sports car; has excellent response time; handles traffic, comfortable leather bucket seats; stylish interior and exterior; sports car design ad styling !!!

Unreliable car for daily long commute

by Dr B. from Woodbury, New York on Wed Aug 12 2020

I owned this car good as new with 4thousand miles and currently I have 56thousand miles and in the dealer for its 3rd repair 2nd time due to cylinder head failure. I use this car for my daily commute to work which is like 100miles round trip. I even use it for winter seasons just switching to winter tires. Not very happy and planning to trade it in with a type R.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love my new Abarth

by Stangee from Thornton Colorado on Thu Nov 23 2017

This car is so much fun to drive. Some people say they are under powered? I'm wondering how quick do they want to go? Plenty of power and fantastic handling as far as I'm concerned! The black on black on black is a real head turner!! I've been over the continental divide and had a blast in my new little rocket!

great ride

by valgal from kingwood texas on Sun Aug 13 2017

its a pure joy to drive and handles like a stealth shark around corners ...beautiful front looks like a jag

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2017 FIAT 124 Spider

The verdict:

The 124 Spider excels as a touring roadster, with a smooth manual transmission and a turbocharged engine that provides plenty of passing and climbing power. And when the road gets curvy, the 124 remains a willing and able dance partner.

Versus the competition:

The 124 Spider has only one true convertible competitor, the Mazda MX-5 Miata, and the two are evenly matched both on price and on the spec sheet. The Miata is the sharper of the two, but the 124 Spider is a better all-around vehicle and my choice for a daily driver.

Small, affordable, rear-wheel-drive roadsters are an endangered species; the Mazda MX-5 Miata has been the only remaining candidate for the past several years. So Fiat’s betting there’s room for one more contender, resurrecting the 124 Spider nameplate that hasn’t been seen in the United States since the 1980s.

Interestingly the 124 Spider is very much based on the Miata. It uses the same chassis, many of the same interior parts and even the same key fob as the Mazda. As Fiat loves to point out, though, there are a few differences that make driving each one a unique experience. It gave the 124 Spider different tuning for its steering and suspension, and there’s a different engine under the hood:... Read More