Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1994 Explorer

1994 Ford Explorer

$489 - $5,009  MSRP Range

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 1994 Ford Explorer?

Great for Its Age

by Matt from Northeastern PA on Thu Dec 23 2010

My Explorer, which I bought used as a winter vehicle, is a 4-door 4x4 XLT and has 130k miles. It has the optional sunroof a 4-speed auto. Comfort: I'm in my early 20's with no health problems so the front seats suit me just fine. Rear seating was top of the class when new although lack of headrests may bring complaints. It is a truck so the ride can get bouncy and jarring on moderately bumpy to rough roads. On normal highways, it does ride smoother than expected. Performance: The 4.0 Cologne was has decent HP but this is a heavy truck so acceleration is adequate at best. Hill climbing causes the motor to lose steam unless the pedal is near the floor. Highway merging should also be taken with caution. I filled from the backs of the front seats to the tailgate full of logs, which were piled up to the ceiling. It was slow going but it did it without complaint. Fuel mileage was better than I expected. Typically, I get around 16-18MPG unless loaded up or in 4WD. Handling is fine for what it is. Obviously, don't expect to corner like a sports car. This truck is great in the snow even with all season Cooper Discoverer HTs. Only got it stuck once and that was in 2 1/2 feet of snow. Mine has the push button 4WD system but with aftermarket manual locking hubs. It can be a pain to have to get out of the truck to lock them but they are more reliable and much cheaper to replace than the automatic lockers. Exterior Styling: Styling is subjective but it has rugged good looks. IMO, each generation of Explorer got uglier. The paint is fading and the clear coat is peeling off in spots but it is 17 years old after all. Mine has no body or frame rot but that isn't typical of older Explorers found where it snows. Make sure you inspect the truck thoroughly. Interior Design: I think the dash is logically laid out with everything in easy reach. There is plenty of cheap plastic but that's typical of an early 90's SUV. Everything works except for the AC and rear washer (wiper works). Heater is fantastic in mine... heats up just as quick as my 07 Cobalt. The sunroof is manual so it can be a pain to remove/install. Basically, I use mine like a skylight. Cargo room is cavernous and the rear seat folds in two separate sections. I fit 40 full-size desktop PCs in back with room to spare. Factory speakers suck so I replaced them with Pioneers and also added an aftermarket CD player (who wants a Cassette player, anyway?). Value: Typically, I have seen Explorers like mine go for $3-$4k but I got mine 2 years ago for $2300 so I would say it was definitely worth the money. Replacement parts are generally pretty cheap and a lot of work can be done at home. Reliability: My Explorer has been reliable so far and Explorers generally are with the big issues being the automatic transmissions and auto-locking hubs. Aside from normal maintenance (tires, oil changes, etc.) this is what I had to replace: 2 oxygen sensors, MAF sensor, EGR pressure sensor, ball joints, tie rods and an AC compressor clutch. Not bad for an older truck. Overall I would recommend an Explorer to anyone looking for a cheap, reliable 4x4. I also recommend giving one a thorough test drive to make sure the transmission and 4WD work correctly. Also, watch for rot typically found on the rocker panels which are hidden by plastic on most Explorers.

Best For The Year

by Exploder from Bismarck, North Dakota on Thu Apr 07 2011

Just gotta love the Ford Exploder :) Dependable, Great 4X4 vehicle, Just a truly amazing SUV! It's My Buddy

1994 Ford Explorer

by BethMac from on Wed Apr 05 2017

The Ford Explorer is exactly what it says it is. It climbs hills, drives over rocky roads and through mud. I bought this 1994 Ford used and learned to love it. I like the feel and size of the older Explorer and if I could afford to fix it up today I would. This vehicle has been in storage and needs a new transmission but dives nicely when it?s running.

One of my favorites ive owned

by Ford Fan from Sangerville, ME on Thu Mar 30 2017

I bought my 1994 explorer as just a yard vehicle last year. Has 73000 miles on it runs awsome and plows awsome. It gets around so easy and FOOTING it has when your plowing and pushing banks back is awsome. really comfortable abd reliable only issue i had was i lost the clutch but thats to be expected having a 7ft plow hanging off the front. Now i drive it dailey its excellent

'94 Explorer Eddie Bauer still in great shape stil

by '94 Explorer in 2018 from Nova Scotia on Wed May 02 2018

Bot new in 1994 and she just doesn't get old....24yo & 172k miles: Frame A+, body near perfect (just seeing a few surface rust bubbles now on wheel wells), rides good for a 4x4 (but U gotta buy quality rubber)... Can't beat the handling in snow or on muddy dirt roads! Over years have replaced nearly all FE suspension parts, gas tank...just recently had to replace auto-trans vacuum actuator...and she is purring like a kitten, no smoke whatsoever.... shooting for 30 years out of her.....

I loved this truck

by grandma Tn from TN on Thu May 13 2010

My 94 truck never gave me any problems. The only thing I ever had to do with it was new brakes, brake lines and at 148K miles, replace those rubber things on the wheels. The ride was good, the air was cold and with the tow package you never knew you were pulling anything. Sadly my truck was totaled in the TN floods. I hope to find another just as good.

135K miles and still running like a charm

by SUV Enthusiast from TX on Tue Mar 17 2009

The only thing I've had to do is replace the AC and an exterior transmission part near the exhaust pipe.

Pretty reliable vehicle

by Catsmeow from Colorado springs on Mon Jul 10 2017

It lasted me over 6 years. It was my first vehicle. Still runs great I just wanted a newer vehicle.

Our Take on the 1994 Ford Explorer

I WAS DOING my O.J. thing, running 40 mph down the middle of an expressway in a Ford Bronco. But, unlike the Juice, I got no respect.

All I got was honking horns and bumper riders, and frowning people swerving left and right. Some shouted insults as they sped past me: "You stoopid or somethin'? You don't know how to drive?" Others gave the Ignoble Salute.

They just didn't get it. Here I was in a middle lane of I-95 North going the legal minimum speed limit, 40 mph. I had this big, pretty 1994 Bronco, a fully loaded, green-and-tan Eddie Bauer version. I tried to find a white one like the Bronco O.J. used in his great escape, but they were all out, or sold or something.

Anyway, I figured the... Read More