2021 Ford Explorer consumer reviews

• Exterior 4.7
Explore the 2021 Ford Explorer
Shop the 2021 Ford Explorer

Explorer GREAT design!

The ford explorer is an outstanding suv. The new design in 2020 is stylish and the rear wheel drive/4 wheel drive option is state of the art. The ecoboost engines are economical and extremely powerful. Ford dealers are everywhere! Ford parts are common and easy to obtain! I looked at the competitors. Front wheel drive is not suitable for trucks in my opinion. The handling of a rear wheel drive vehicle is outstanding. I actually have a 2022 platinum with the 3.0 v6 and this 2021 base with the 2.3 4 cylinder. Happy with each!!!

2.0

2021 is a lemon

This is the second Explorer I've owned. The 1st was a 2018 and it was outstanding. They were both Sport package trim.I got a 2021 as a replacement and it is a far inferior vehical. It is 800lbs lighter and doesn't have the same feel at all. The 2021 is faster, but it feels less substancial. The fit and finish are terrible. Lot's of noise when driving, all the trim around the doors is coming off, and the carpet is not properly trimmed under the two front seats, it's just cut with a rough edge exposed. The car excellerates unnexpectedly when putting it in reverse and drive. The electronics are terrible. If you change a channel on the radio, it changes about half the time. When it does change, the name of the song or show is usually 3 channel changes behind. Oh and this car has 12 recalls. Ford only has fixes for about half of them. I would not recommend the 2021 Explorer

Why ford…

Where to start…. The 2.3 engine is so unreliable it’s unbelievable. Every recall I have had I’ve actually experienced problems with. From the screen messing up and getting stuck on a blue screen. The transmission is absolutely horrendous. I live on a busy road and thankfully I have a turnaround driveway because if not waiting for this car to be in gear, takes at least 5 to 10 seconds. Just like others, my door switches have peeled, and my seat has busted apart. I am a detailer for trade. My cars are immaculate the way I drive and treat my cars I have had cars last 10+ years and look like they are brand new still and there’s just no way you can keep this car nice due to the quality.

1.0

Lots of common issues. Not reliable.

Lots of common problems with the ford explorer. Front axles leaking (at 40k, I've gone through 5 axles) Electronics are TERRIBLE. Constantly need to unhook the battery to reset everything. GPS still won't work. Rear camera issues - 'blue screen' And finally left my wife stranded with not starting. I have two Explorer ST. A 2020 and 2021. One for me and one for the wife. Both have issues.

3.0

3rd row sear

I love the car BUT my 3rd row seats are not working properly, and this problem seems to be a common problem. This is really expensive to fix.

4.0

love the Ride

First time Explorer owner, had an Expedition that I loved but it was too high for my wife, so it went to our son. The Explorer Limited is lower, but still higher than a crossover or sedan which helps my visability. Love the electronics but concerned that they will have problems later on so I purchased a dealer extended warranty (bumper to bumper) that is 10 years 125,000 additional miles for piece of mind. Car drives like a dream, is VERY comfortable, has more than enough power even with the 4cyl (used to V8's). Gas mileage even with 4WD is great (23 city and almost 29 highway) not climbing hills. We will see how it does when we go north.

Recall

This explorer acerated on it's own, causing to damage It self, this vehicle needs to be recalled, other Ford vehicles have done that,I don't trust them anymore, not safe to drive..I will not buy another Ford vehicle,I have owned many Ford products ie Mercury , Lincoln, first car was a 1930 Ford model A...

You got to love the new body style explore 2021

My review on the 2021 Ford Explorer XLT model is that this is the SUV I ever owned also is my first SUV but to say that things I really like you said 360 Copilot cruise control it stops for you automatically slows down for you automatically drives for you automatically what more can you ask for it's got comfortable seats my seats are heated my steering wheel is heated I've got a moonroof that's beautiful when you open it and it's huge it's double moon also 300 horsepower keeps up with the Mustangs and the Chargers and the faster vehicles that are out there on the streets but it's also a family vehicle so I don't like to get on it too much but it will go over a hundred miles per hour easily overall I give this a 9 out of 10 and the only reason why I don't give it a 10 it's because it gives a stupid beeping noise if you walk out of the car with the keys in your pocket and it's running and it's done that to me many a times

Surprised

Originally wanted the ST, but after losing everything in Hurricane Ida my finances were not where I needed for the ST. But I was shown the Timberline and hastily I agreed. But after a few weeks I was truly shocked at how much I actually loved this truck. I never thought a 4 cylinder could survive my hard driving style, especially since my last two cars had 400HP, but I was pleasantly surprised to feel extremely comfortable with the 300 HP eco-boost engine! When this lease is up even though my finances should be back on track, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sticking with the Timberline!

Horrible car overall

Horrible car, has transmission issues since 15k miles, there's delay in reverse (10 sec), interior is coming loose, parts are coming off, not well made, and there's a long months wait, and the dealers don't care enough, took the car in 3 times already and the issue is Still there.