2003 ZX2

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

Excellent

by theplace2be from Massachusetts on May 5, 2010

I have owned 2 zx's a2000 and an '03 both were purchased new. In 2004 i bought a 2003 leftover with only 11 miles because it was the last year and it had more torque than previous years, making it a bit quicker. I have only owned manual transmissions, and my zx'2 never dissappointed me. it is now 2010 and i still have my '03 and it is running great, only 80k miles, its still all factory (except the cold air intake) and will hold its own. Its reliable, only had to replace brakes and tires, its quick,and great on gas. I enjoy any roadnoise that others complain of, that combined with the road feedback lends to it being such a fun car to drive. I am 6'4" tall and fit in comfortably.I have come very close to trading it in for a New mustang, but I just couldnt do it. In all I love my zx2 and have driven them for a combined 10 years, what a great american made car. The best bang for the buck, and being a Ford its less costly to maintain ,,, hope they bring it back

2003 Ford ZX2 @105K

by ztyhurst from Bristol VA on January 24, 2009

We bought our ZX2 at about 92K and at this time it has about 105K miles. I typically get 30 MPG with 30/70 town/highway and other than changing the oil and $30 for a temperature sensor and thermostat I have not had any problems with it. I will say that changing the oil filter on this car is probably the hardest I have ever dealt with. it is behind the engine on the middle right, above the axle. I could not think of a worse place to put it. This car is however very fun to drive, but the engine can get a bit on the loud growly side. The steering has a little bit of play, but the feel of the road is still good. I liked it much better than the cavaliers we test drove. The torque and pwr to weight felt much better. This car was a great value for the money we paid for it and I think it will easily make 200K miles.

like a glove

by XQSME 2003 zx2 from Tampa, FL. on February 16, 2009

With cruise control, an aftermarket muffler, bigger shoes, and an air filter, you can easily net 30 mpg city, 35 mpg highway. For a car I bought new with 31 miles, for $11,000, and still enter the passing lane, it boggles me why this car was discontinued after just 1 model year. And why only California received the S/R model, I will never know, but I enjoy this car MUCH better than my former PT cruiser, Focus, Sebring, and other small(er) cars I have piloted. Will often cause confusion of what the car is, as my car has been called anything from an Integra to a BMW. Not bad, not bad at all.

After three years, its great!

by Ruby Too. from Lakeland Fl on May 21, 2006

I was a bit doubtful about buying this car but it was a 2003 brand new in September of that year and on offer for $11,000. Good deal. Three years later it has never been back to the dealer for any problem at all. Just great for a cheap little car. And it has every option apart from sunroof.

Get a mechanic. its 11 years used.

by cheap car guy from Morton, IL on September 22, 2014

bought the 2003 ford ZX2 with 156000. I got what I paid for. after putting another 1/3 of the price I paid for the car back into it I like it. All normal wear-new valve cover gasket took care of the oil smell, new air filter, new plugs and wires(So much corrosion in the coil packs I'm not sure it really needs plugs and wires to run. ford tough), new ball joints kept the front end from self destructing- What would you expect on a high milage car. been using fuel system cleaner additive and a engine cleaner oil additive and the engine vibration is much better. its good on gas and fun to drive. Cheap to maintain. I hope to exceed 200,000 miles on it.

Does not recommend this car!!

Good commuter

by Commuter dude from California Bay Area on January 27, 2007

Great little commuter vehicle. With judicious use of the gas pedal you can repeatedly get 32-33 mpg. Engine idles a little rough at times, but really just an annoyance.

My first car

by obesch001 from International Falls, MN on June 8, 2018

Very fun-sporty, zippy car! Good for driving around town or commuting to college and back. 2-Door with very large, spacious backseat accessible by sliding and folding either front seat. The truck is huge; able to fit a few golf bags, suitcases and any random thing you might need! Super reliable and will get you to your destination with flying colors.

A good choice among compacts

by Eponymous from Las Vegas, NV on May 27, 2006

This was my first "new" car purchase, and I chose the ZX2 because I liked the sporty appearance, without the sports car price. It seems to have overall better performance than similarly priced cars in its category. I've had this car for about 5 months now and so far it seems to be a reliable, well-made, economical ride.

5years no repairs

by sports car enthusiast from baltimore on July 11, 2008

I do all city driving and with careful use of the gas pedal, I get 27-28mpg per tankful. 1 40 mile highway ride and I get 31 mpg. most reliable car I've ever owned. Always starts and goes.

Most Fun For The Buck!

by Matthew from Remer, MN on August 31, 2006

This was by far the most fun I have had owning a car! I am 6' 6" and fit the car great! If it wasn't for the deer I would still have one! Now I want another and will own another as soon as I can!

1 2