Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2017 Canyon

2017 GMC Canyon

2017 GMC Canyon

Have You Driven the 2017 GMC Canyon?

Own it 14 months has been service 53 days and coun

by Reb from Jacksonville Fl on Sat Jun 23 2018

This 2017 slt vehicle is a disappointment. Bought it new April 26 2017, today is June 22, 2018. I have 4500 miles on it. Had it in the shop 2 times for a total of 43 days for transmission problems. It would down shift very hard from 3 rd to first. Felt like something was grabbing the rear rend. 1st visit the dealer had for 3 days and , after ’tweaking the software’ , said the hard shifting was normal. Second time I requested a ride along. That dealer employee happened to have a 2018 canyon, which was good because he could make a legitimate comparison. When the problem demonstrated itself, he said ’ whoa, mine does that but not THAT bad’. Then the wait started. Service mgr had to discuss with GMC big boys. They wanted to keep ’tweaking the software’. Then they wanted technician to ’tear it down’ . Fortunately the tech said was stupid and the Gmc big boys finally authorized a new transmission. Then it took 14 days to ’find’ a transmission and install. Total of 43 days. In January 2018 I started to experience a feeling/sound like going over rumble strips. I waited until it finally got so frequent and pronounced that when I took it in the dealership could not deny experiencing it. Or say ’that is normal’. I took it in June 11. It is now June 22. Decision is that it is the torque converter. But they haven’t even started to replace it because there are no torque converters available. But, I should be glad to know that I am first on the list. Whoopee!! 55 days total in the shop for transmission and torque converter and counting. And this is assuming they will not find any other problems once they start. After this is resolved then they have to address the suspension. The ride has progressively gotten worse. It is like riding over cobblestones regardless of speed or road surface. This is already on my problem list at the dealership. Very much regret giving up my 2005 midsized foreign truck. I am making payments but cannot use my truck. I will say the service mgr did give me a compensation after my transmission saga. Soothes the pocketbook a little, But sure hasn’t taken away the frustration, irritation, disappointment, aggravation we are experiencing. Don’t know if I will every feel comfortable with this vehicle b

Flawed 8 speed transmission design

by Jim from Hendersonville, NC on Thu Sep 13 2018

Save your money and buy something else. The seriously flawed 8 speed transmission will leave shuddering and vibrating due to a faulty torque convertor design. It feels like you are driving over rumble strips. Worse yet, when you accelerate the transmission bogs down and is a serious safety issue. GM is clueless. I understand they may have a new design torque convertor but you are put on a waiting list. Meanwhile, makes you wonder what all in the transmission is being damaged as they will not pay for a loaner vehicle until the parts come in, even under their own warranty. So you simply drive the piece of junk and hope for the best.

Does not recommend this car!!

A vacation every time I drive.

by rockinrobert52 from Duluth, GA on Tue Jun 19 2018

This truck has great room (extended cab), is well laid out, and is very comfortable. I expect this to be my last vehicle and it will be a great one. I enjoy being in it.

Navigation system incomplete maps

by Wolfguy from Oregon, Wi on Fri Dec 15 2017

I like the truck on the whole. The V/6 is powerful and and the 8 speed transmission is fairly smooth. The the infotainment center is very nice, but the navigation system has one large glaring fault. Every county Hwy in the maps is listed as an unnamed road. If you try to get answers about this from Gm Or 'Here', the map makers for Gm, you might as well forget it. Once you buy the truck it seems GM has no use for you. The same map makers supply Ford and in my 2015 Fusion, the county road names are on the map. This may sound like a petty complaint, but had I known, I wouldn't have purchased this truck. The one person I got thru to at GM basically said sorry, those are the maps that are supplied to us, in other words go pound sand. These roads have had the same name for over 50 years, and they show the name of them on every nav system I've had all the way back to 2005. I wish now that I would have kept my 2008 Dodge Dakota with my old Garmin, which by the way, names all the county roads. By the way, I find no fault with the dealership where I purchased the truck, they are very nice people.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great midsize truck with good performance and mpg

by Scooter from Baton Rouge, La on Tue Aug 01 2017

This midsize truck (2017 Canyon, SLT crew cab ) is a great size truck with all of the options as a car or SUV. The ride is great and the bed size is big enough to haul almost anything. Also, great gas mileage. This is my second Canyon and I love it !!!

LOVE THIS TRUCK

by Happy Canyon Owner from Edwardsville, IL on Thu Nov 30 2017

This is a very capable truck with tons of features and impressive ride and performance. Wish it did not cost as much as a full-size, but you do get a lot for your money. It is a beast in towing and gets good gas mileage. I was so impressed that I bought it a few hours ago. Only time will tell, but so far I am very impressed.

GMC Canyon changed my mind about driving domestic

by Timberwolf8818 from Calgary, AB on Mon Nov 19 2018

After owning a FORD Taurus for a few short but very painful and expensive years, I vowed to never own a domestic vehicle ever again, hence I owned and drove an Acura TL and MDX for the last 20 years until this past summer. The MDX despite with a low mileage, it gave me headache after headache and I've had enough anxiety driving it, one day I decided to trade it in. Never thought I would buy a domestic vehicle ever again but after I saw the 2017 GMC Canyon's ad, I went for a test drive and I fell head over heels. My Canyon is a base model but even my teenage daughter said that it was by far more comfortable than the Acura MDX. I bought this 2017 Canyon for half the price of the MDX and we're loving it!!! LOVE driving it and also just looking at it. The 4x4 is solid and reliable, tested it in snow, ice and rain. I know I got an excellent and reliable vehicle for me and my family. Even my sister's step son who's an auto mechanic, he also just bought his brand new vehicle and guess which model he picked out of the hundreds of different options? A 2018 GMC Canyon! That says a lot, doesn't it?

Good solid mid size truck

by Benji from Regina, Sask. on Wed Nov 14 2018

So fat I am very happy with this truck ! For a midsize truck it maneuvers very well!!! Had a larger truck very hard to maneuver I’m Glad I now have a midsize!

4 Months

by earlcm from Yulee, FL on Sat May 13 2017

I have owned this truck for 4 months and I have owned GM trucks from S 10s to 2500HD duramax and this is by far the nicest truck I have owned. Understand that I downsized from a 2500 HD. I no longer require the performance towing requirements of that vehicle. I installed Air Lift bags in the rear to level my motorcycle trailer. I installed a Gibson performance Exhaust and Air Raid Cold Air Intake. 20.5 commuting and plenty of horsepower. Also own a 2010 Camaro RS with similar engine. The truck handles very well on rural roads and at freeway speed the vehicle is very comfortable. Been driving on the beach in deep sand with the stock tires and have had no issues at all. Better than the 2500, because it is lighter. Wireless phone charger is nice as is the WiFi It all depends on your needs and desires, but I give this truck a huge thumbs up. Also had 5 - 50 year olds in front and back and no complaints about room

Great Truck, I have owned a lot of them.

by GN 314 from Johnstown, N.Y. on Mon May 15 2017

I am very impressed with every thing about this vehicle. This truck has all kinds of room and is very comfortable. The unique thing is that I have a single car garage and this truck fits with room to spare.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2017 GMC Canyon

The verdict:

A new powertrain makes the GMC Canyon more responsive and enjoyable to drive, but the expensive Denali trim doesn’t feel particularly special.

Versus the competition:

The Canyon won our 2016 Midsize Pickup Challenge despite facing more comfortable and more off-road-capable competitors, as it still provides the best mix of ride, power, utility and style.

The rebirth of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon has been a boon to GM pickup truck sales, adding volume and customers to the truck side of the showroom as gasoline remains cheap and plentiful. Now entering its third model year, the Canyon gains two things: a Denali top trim level and a new eight-speed automatic transmission.

Before the Denali showed up, the fanciest Canyon you could get was the SLT model, which I drove in diesel form in the summer of 2016 to pull a 22-foot Airstream trailer. An SLE model won our 2016 Midsize Pickup Challenge, besting every other mid-size pickup in the category, including the new Honda Ridgeline. So how does the new top luxury model stack up to the field?

Exterior... Read More