NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
1998 Civic

1998 Honda Civic

$264 - $6,048  MSRP Range
1998 Honda Civic

Have You Driven the 1998 Honda Civic?

Best car i ever owned

by Civic lover from indianapolis, In on Thu Jul 15 2010

I bought my 98 civic in 05 when i was graduating college and it had 154,000 miles on it. I was nervous because any car I had before never even made it to 154,000. Just over five years later and it's still running like new. I have 258,450 miles on it and i still drive at least 100 miles a day for work and it has never broken down or not started on the first try. I have only done regular maintenance except for replacing the muffler two days after I bought it. If you can find a 98 civic with low miles, get it, you won't regret it. one amazing car!!!!

Love this car

by Grad student from St Louis, MO on Thu Dec 11 2008

I purchased my Civic in 2003 with 106,000 miles on it. I had my doubts about buying a car with that many miles on it, but I had heard Hondas keep going forever so I took the chance. I have been so pleased with the reliability of this car over the past five years. It has needed a few repairs (about $1000 total), but now has 180,000 miles on it and doesn't show any signs of wearing out. I still feel comfortable taking it on cross country roadtrips without fearing a break-down. Of course it doesn't have much pick-up, but it still gets around 30 mpg.

Great Car!

by College Student from on Thu Mar 10 2016

Being someone who commutes to school and work every day, I knew I needed a reliable vehicle. My current vehicle was falling apart, so I began to look for a new-used vehicle. I ended up purchasing a 1998 Honda Civic, and I can honestly say that this is one of the best vehicles I had ever owned, based on the following criteria: MPG: This is one of this cars best aspects, it get great MPG. I usually get around 37-40 miles per gallon on strictly highway driving. I can reach almost 400 miles on one tank, and the tank is so small it is always under 20 dollars to fill it up! Another great thing about this car, unlike others, is when driving in the city it never gets under 30 miles per gallon. Engine Reliability: I purchased this car with 250,000 miles on it, and it has not let me down yet. The engine is still running strong, you would never guess that is has more than 250,000 miles on it. By doing routine maintenance such as timing belt, oil changes, new spark plugs, ect’ this motor seems like it will run forever. Honda engine builders in 1998 really designed the motor to run for a long time, and this engine really stands behind the quote ’It’s a Honda, It will run forever.’ Interior: This is the one area of this car that I believe could have been better. The interior of this car is just bland, it’s just a gray interior. The interior could have been changed to be more stylish, but this car was made during 1998, when style wasn’t such a big thing. For what I purchased this car for, the interior wasn’t a big deal, this is why I still give this car a high rating. Exterior: The exterior on this car is flawless. The exterior was designed to be very sleek and stylish. I believe this car compares to some of the cars that were designed in the 2000’s. The paint on the exterior is not peeling like some cars during the 1990’s. This is another great quality of this car, it does not look like a car that is 18 years old, it looks like a car that was made during the 2000’s. Ease of working on: IF you are someone like me and you like to work on your own vehicles, then you would really enjoy this vehicle. The engineers at Honda in 1998 really designed this vehicle to be easily worked on. When doing routine maintenance, you are able to easily locate and remove parts as needed. This car seems like it was put together so that a child could take it apart. This is one of the best qualities of this car, since you can do most of the maintenance yourself you do not have to spend a lot of money and have a mechanic do it for you.

Nothing beats a Honda...NOTIHNG!

by KDGUM from PA on Thu Jul 02 2009

This was a hand me down car from my mother after I moved out onto my own. I needed car that had good gas mileage and this car is great on gas! I have since purchased a new CRV EX-L ( love this car too) but I still drive the EX lil red civic around to save my new car from miles ( I drive far for my job). This Civic now has close to 200,000 miles. It runs wonderfully, still looks nice, no rust, no engine problems EVER! Has only ever had the usual oil changes and other scheduled maintanence but nothing over the top. Honda's hold their value and I would never drive another make!

Love my honda civic.

by DJD from Tucson, AZ on Sun Sep 18 2011

Have had many different hondas in the past but this one I have now is the best. Bought this 1998 civic lx from my girlfriend almost 3 years ago and have had to do a very little work on it. It has over 140,000 miles on it and it runs great. The only thing is that the A/C has gone out twice but I live in Arizona so thats understandable. I would like to get a newer honda but I don't want to part from this one.

PUT AWAY WET EVERYDAY

by MRAZ COL. MI. from COLUMBUS MI. on Fri Jun 12 2009

BOUGHT MY 98 LX FROM A B LOT DEALER IN '05 FOR $4500, AIR DID'NT WORK BUT EVERYTHING ELSE DOES. HAD 127000 ON IT THEN, HAD 221000 WHEN IT GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT,{TOTALED} I TORTURED THIS CAR 100 MI R-TRIP 5 DAYS/WK. TO WORK,75-80MPH, THEN ROADTRIPS UP N.{180 MI RTRIP} AND THE WIFE DROVE IT TO WORK ON WEEKENDS. JUST THE NORMAL MAINTAINANCE, TIMING BELT @ 135,000 AND A NEW EXHAUST. RAN SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGED @10,000 MI. INTERVALS. DID'NT BURN DRIP LEAK OR OTHERWISE DUMP OIL. GOT BAD MPG WHEN I GOT IT , CHANGED THE O 2 SENSORS AND THAT GOT THE MPG'S FROM 22MPG TO 36- 38 CITY/HWY. YOU CAN'T BEAT THESE CARS; I'VE TRIED!!! I'M LOOKING FOR THE NEXT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!!

What a great car!

by Jordan23 from Joliet, IL on Fri Aug 27 2010

I have the four speed automatic Civic DX coupe model and its a great car in every aspect. Purchased the Civic in 2002 with 60,000 miles. I have never had any problems with my Civic. The engine runs strong and transmission shifts smooth. The best thing about the Civic would have to be the exeptional gas mileage. After installing front and rear strut bars, 17 inch custom wheels, and a cold air intake it was amazing how much better the Civic performed. The cold air intake helped the engine run much more responsive and improved gas mileage. The 17 inch wheels and strut bars made the Civic dramatically more stable, agile, and smooth. I would highly recommend this car.

Best gas mileage and reliable car I ever owned.

by cferrier44 from Metairie on Sun Apr 23 2017

It took only the days to sell my car. I have told friends and yo sell and buy their car at cars.com

The bees knees

by Midori1996 from Akron, ohio on Sun Jul 08 2018

Honda sure did get this platform down pat in the early 90's with the EF and then further improved performance, style, and handling with the EG. After all of there success they stuck with the simplicity and reliability they will always be known for. The D series motors can run for well over half a million miles if you perform all necessary general maintenance. They perfected the platform with the EK and after technology was heavily implemented on all of there cars after the year 2000, they started performing and looking less like a raw driving experience. Take a blast to the past with a real drivers feel with a 1998 Honda Civic.

96-2000 Honda Civics..

by Ukypoo from Indianapolis, in on Mon Mar 19 2012

What can I say...totally impressed with the gas mileage, the get up and go...the the just durability of this car even though it's age...hope the newer civics r as reliable in the future as this one is now :-)

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 1998 Honda Civic

It’s almost too easy to confuse conservatism with dullness.

But most people seem to be conservative, especially when it comes time to lay their money on the line for a new car. Many people complain about snooze-arama styling, then turn around and buy a car like the Honda Civic sedan. With it’s conservative, upright stance, you’d never confuse it for a sports sedan.

But look closer. The car, assembled in Marysville, Ohio, is carefully constructed with gem-like headlamps. The paint job is quite good — the test car had a distinctive blue-green hue that drew thumbs up from admirers.

Even the five-spoke alloy wheels drew praise. Like a fine gray-flannel suit, classic... Read More