2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

Have You Driven the 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid?

Fun to drive

by Aloupol from Bradenton, Fl on Sun Apr 22 2018

Love the technology, only complaint is the windshield wipers. Spend almost nothing on gas commuting to work. Fun to drive, very comfortable. Solid ride and safe

Great Car - Not Just a Great PHEV

by RickSE from Boston, MA on Tue Oct 23 2018

I wasn’t planning to buy a new car as I loved my ’16 Accord Touring but after several test drives and looking at the $$$’s I was hooked. Tax credit of $7.5k, MA state rebate of $2.5k, $4.5k off msrp and a good trade in on the accord (Honda’s hold their value) made this a no brainer. My 40 mile daily commute is easily done on full EV and I charge at work in 2.5 hours. Charge at home - no problem overnight using my wall outlet. Don’t even need a 220. Fits my three adult/teen kids in the back and trunk is plenty big. Hugs the road and feels solid in turns. Acceleration is good enough for me. It’s not my old V6 Accord but I have had no issues at all in the city or highway. With the ICE on the power was surprisingly good, but as I almost never use the ICE I don’t have all that much experience with it. The interior styling is attractive and the seats are comfortable. Plenty of head,shoulder and leg room. I don’t have the visceral reaction to the exterior look that so many people have - it’s fine to me. Controls are easy to use for the navigation and radio. I do get distracted looking at the great distance I’m getting on the EV though. I didn’t have experience with regenerative braking, but thinking of the paddles like downshifting a standard makes sense to me. After watching a video on how it works, I guess I can just use the brake pedal to do the same thing. Things I’m not crazy about: Honda could have put the ’18 Accord radio in the car. This is what I had in my ’16 Accord. It’s good enough but come on Honda! Would prefer blind side monitors instead of the passenger side camera and I am finding I miss the front and rear sensors more then I expected. The clarity has a long hood and is low to the ground so I’m always anticipating a dreaded scrape when I park. Having the windshield washing in the arms is not a great idea, but so far it seems to work. Not sure I’ll feel that way in February. Headlights are not as good as my accord, but I’m getting fogs anyway so that issue will go away. These are all nits though. This is a great car. I wouldn’t have bought it NOW without the incentives because I drive my cars into the ground and this is the first time I’ve ever traded in a car. With the incentives I traded in a three year old car and got a brand new car for $900 net. And I’m saving probably $1k in gas per year. Easiest decision I’ve ever made. So far 1300 miles on 3 gallons of gas.

My Honda Clarity is almost a Tesla

by LAJames from Los Angeles on Thu Feb 07 2019

I live 30 miles from work and after 1250 miles I have yet to put gas in the car (the gauge shows the gas tank 3/4 full). I plug into a 120v outlet when I get home and plug into a Chargepoint station at my place of work. I love the adaptive cruise control...relieves driving stress. When i take it on a long drive I will obviously have to get gas but for now I'm lean and green.

Best carbuying decision ever!

by Sci Bri from San Antonio, TX on Tue May 29 2018

I was looking for a reliable solution for daily commute - and does the Clarity ever fot the bill! Mileage exceeds EPA estimates, performance is exceptional and styling is great inside and out. I couldn't be happier. Level 1 charging is a bit slower than estimated (~14hr from completely depleted).

Love the car, but there are problems...

by Old Traveler from Fort Worth, Texas on Mon Jul 15 2019

I bought my 2018 Clarity last December. There is much about it that I love, but there are also some things I really don't care for at all. Let's begin the problem areas with that small rear window in the trunk. Some folks think it is great, but unless you enjoy watching the road immediately behind you, it is most useful for enabling a car burglar to spot things which you thought were concealed in your trunk. I had a reasonably priced high voltage charging station installed in my garage, & it is great to just pull in and plug in. A charge is good for close to 50-miles of driving, or more. I've filled my itsy-bitsy gas tank up twice since last December, and the electric charge is more than adequate for most around-town driving. There is, however, one annoying quirk: If you let your battery get down to 0-charge, the engine will not recharge it, and you will have to plug it in. The cruise control has an aggravating--even dangerous--trait that I have not seen in any other car: In electric mode--or especially in electric mode--when you click it on, it will allow your speed to drop 2 to 5 mph before gradually coming back to about the speed you set it for. But even then, it does not do a good job of maintaining speed. Honda has told me that it is a trait of the EV, and as of now they have no fix. I turned off the Lane Keeping Assist and Road Departure Mitigation systems shortly after I began driving the car. I don't remember which it was, but sometimes when going around a highway curve, the steering wheel would begin jerking back-and-forth, even if you were nowhere near a lane marking. To me, that is dangerous and distracting. Much better for the driver to just keep alert. There is no rear window wiper (I thought all cars had those now). There is no spare tire, & their little pump & sealant thingy is a sure-fire guarantee to get you stranded somewhere waiting for a flatbed to haul you to a repair facility, or if it works, to goo up your tire making it difficult to repair. So, I bought a spare, & with the 18" wheels on the car, & no Honda donut available, it takes up a lot of room in the trunk. So, the car is comfortable, has plenty of zip (for me), has a well-appointed interior, qualified for a total of $10,000 in rebates in Texas, the electronics seem to work reasonably well (although I'm still learning), and it is reasonably environmentally friendly. We're planning our first lengthy road trip, so will have to see just how we deal with the 7-gallon fuel tank. Hope this is a help to you.

A great car with a learning curve...

by Doug from Mission Viejo, CA on Sat May 18 2019

Once I figured it out, I’m getting 54 mph around town and 47 on the freeways in the HV mode. I don’t use the all electric mode because in So. Cal the electric rate is 25 cents per kwh. So gas is cheaper !! On steep inclines the Sport mode is best. The engine noise can be a little loud at times, but the 1.5 liter engine has plenty of power. I’m actually getting used to the styling. The interior is very comfortable and quiet. I didn’t get the sport model with a NAV system. I use Apple car play maps and WAZE. I like the placement of the big screen too. Now about the spare tire situation - they give you a tire inflator kit instead of a spare. I think they had to or else the trunk space would be too small. I drive to Las Vegas so I was concerned about waiting in the middle of the desert for the Honda roadside assistance. So I got a spare tire kit on line for $225. I only put it in the trunk when we are away from civilization. If you drive over 75mph, the mpg drops to around 40.

Super smooth and quiet

by Johnsan from Dana Point on Wed Aug 22 2018

This car has it all. Power, quiet interior, great head and legroom. Great mileage, state of the art technology, smooth comfortable ride. Leather interior soft, supple, Good controls, brakes excellent.

Car itself is great. Safety features are lagging t

by Rick from Bellevue on Fri Sep 14 2018

Very pleased that I bought the clarity. Our priority was the environment and reducing our consumption of gas. With the at least 50 miles of electric vehicle only capacity we've not use the gas tank the rare trips. Much nicer car than the volt.

Overall very satisfying

by Annieboo from Southern CA on Mon Jul 02 2018

Would like a sunroof option? Otherwise great car! Proud to own it! I also would have liked MORE colors, and possibly a few other interior options, but this is a great car and I was anxious to own it! Electric and HYBRID cars ARE THE FUTURE!

We wanted economy...we GOT economy!

by JBBDVM from Albuquerque, NM on Mon Jan 28 2019

We test-drove several Honda models, and were intrigued by the Clarity, a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). Reviews said it lacked performance. Not sure how the reviewers like to drive, but for us, the car drives and handles wonderfully. Good handling and steering, plenty of pep, very quiet and comfortable...and the economy!! We are averaging 90+ mpg. We currently use 110v charging...costs about $1.25 to charge overnight. It is almost unbelievable. We are paying about 1/4 (gas+ electricity) what we were paying to drive our 2010 Ridgeline.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11