2012 Accent

2012 Hyundai Accent

2012 Hyundai Accent

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2012 Hyundai Accent?

Needs That Warranty

by kenh91 from Jacksonville, FL on Tue Jul 08 2014

From the outset, the car made a popping sound, which seemed to be in the steering or suspension. I took it to the dealer I bought it from, and they claimed they did not hear it. On a trip, I took it to a dealer in another city because I was afraid to take it on the long drive home. Same response. (Hyundai seems to have a different class of dealer.) Finally I took it to a dealer who found bad tie-rod ends. The sound was better, but some of it continued. Ultimately, the headliner had to be pulled down and defective welds fixed. A few thousand miles later, there was a problem with the engine racing almost to redline, when the clutch peddle was pushed in. That required two trips to a dealer. All this within the first 30,000 miles. Will it leave me stranded?

Awesome commuter car

by Ramcableking from Blakeslee on Thu Aug 10 2017

240,000 miles and still get over 30mpg. Gas, oil, brakes and tired are all this car needs. I would definitely buy another. I highly recommend.

Its an average car nothing special about it.

by Not satisfied with Hyundai from Dallas, Tx on Wed Feb 21 2018

It met all of my need. I have had it for about 6 years. I purchased it in 2012. I paid it off this year. Last year my check engine light started coming on and it has not stopped coming on. My mechanic always say that it is the sensor. I have read online that a few people with this car have this problem and I don't think that Hyundai is taking any responsibility for it. This is not a car that I would recommend. Now that I have paid it off. It of course wants to act up. Smh

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED

by BIG BAD BEN from OHIOP on Sat May 04 2013

WHAT A CAR FOR THE MONEY EXCELLANT GAS MILEAGE AND PLENTY OF POWER VERY STYLISH THIS IS MY THIRD HYUNDAI NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY

Good car, huge capacity, park it anywhere

by Vince Lightning from Baltimore, MD on Wed Aug 30 2017

First, the storage capacity is extraordinary even with rear passengers. It's volume is as practically that of a small SUV and 50% more than any car in its class. The Fit might fit more with the seats down, but with passengers it's not even close to the Accent. You are 50% more likely to fit it in a parking spot than a compact. It's been reliable for 18 months since I bought it used in Jan 2016.

Base model leaves much to be desired

by Thubiedoo from Oroville, CA on Wed May 31 2017

I recently bought the most base model there was for this car. I'll try to rattle off some pros. I bought it used with less than 30K on the odo affordably and so far I haven't had any real issues with it and along with good exterior and interior design to help make up for what it lacks it absorbs bumps well and has a smooth quiet drive as long as the road is paved or clean... I'll get to that in a minute, and fair enough rear visibility despite some people's claims of it not being the case. It does get decent mileage especially on the highway, but as many have noted nowhere near the 40mpg they sold it on. Now for "cons." If you're looking for a cheap basic car, there are plenty of comparable price options from other companies that are just as good and offer far more on their base models than this one does, new or used. If you absolutely must buy this car, go with the next grade up. Let me explain, "no frills" is the understatement of the century here, a Vespa has more to it. No spare tire, which I assumed it had. Only one lock keyhole, on the driver's door. No cruise control, a must for my long commutes. No air conditioning! My savings are probably already lost because I'm going to need to install one to deal with hot summers, if indeed one can be installed. It sounds like you're in a big bucket on gravel or just dirty roads, no cab insulation whatsoever. Position of the seats not very comfortable with limited adjustment ability, glove compartment latch needs some prompting to open and looks like it might bust if you're not gentle. It actually didn't even come with a stereo, the dealership installed a cheap aftermarket one just so they could get it off the lot! I don't care if a car doesn't have fancy touch screens or heated seats, or even electric windows (which of course it doesn't) but most of the things I listed off are very useful and I thought came standard in even the cheap cars these days and just made sense, they aren't even expensive features at all yet Hyundai skimped on everything just to save pennies! At this rate I'd almost expect it to come with a crank instead of a key. Being a bit rushed to get a car I admittedly wasn't paying enough attention and had I known how skimpy it was I would have gone with another used car if I couldn't negotiate another $1000 off. This car will get me point A to point B until I can upgrade, I'm not dealing with the long commutes and hot summers this way for the next ten years, it doesn't work out well in California. Hyundai... for what you marketed this car for brand new you could have put in some basics for nothing, shame!

Does not recommend this car!!

great car for commuting and running errands

by Glenn from Hampton, NJ on Mon May 08 2017

This car gets between 35 - 40 MPG; with the seats down, the hatchback holds over 47 cuft of cargo; great car for commuting and running errands; never had any problems; 5 yrs left on the 10 yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty; runs like new

2nd Accent - 1st New One

by Accent Owner from Maryland on Sun Feb 09 2014

We've been very pleased with our 2008 Hyundai Accent. My husband puts about 100 miles a day on it, and it has held up very well since we acquired it in 2009. So when we decided to get another car, we decided on another Accent. It's definitely a compact car (my 6' 3" father doesn't fit comfortably in it if there are 4 people), but otherwise, it's actually quite roomy inside. Very attractive. Turns on a dime. Just another good, solid car.

Finally a Nice Small Car!

by Young City Driver from MN on Mon Jul 25 2011

I have noticed most car companies are coming out with new and/or improved cars for the subcompact and compact segments. This 2012 Accent (and the new Elantra according to many reviews) seems to illustrate how Hyundai has excelled in improving their small car lineup. My wife and I were actually looking at Elantra (new and used) initially and came across this car by accident thinking it was an Elantra. Upon finding out it was an Accent (sedan), we test drove it anyway, loved it, and purchased it. This car is much improved over the previous generation Accent. Instead of a small, cheap, bland appearance, it now has a very nice interior and exterior look and feel to it. It has improved power, gas mileage, and safety features (to name a few) as well. But how does it perform in real world driving? The ride we have experienced so far is better than any other compact (and even some newer midsized cars) we rode or drove. You certainly still feel bumps and encounter engine noise when the engine is pushed, but for a small car with a short wheelbase, it seems to do well enough that it does not bother anyone who has rode in it thus far (even with the thin profile tires). On the highway it seems to ride very smooth and feels controlled. Steering is taught and this also helps us feel the car is well controlled on the road. Breaks are sharp and help us feel confident in hard breaking situations. Acceleration has been adequate for us, but it is obviously not a breakneck car. It actually feels rather spunky in in-town driving and we have found no problems passing on the highway, even in heavy traffic where quick maneuvering is required. The front two seats are very comfortable for us (6'0 and 5'8"). Driving position is comfortable, even on longer trips. Visibility is good all around, even with the sloped back window and 3 rear head restraints. The back seats seem adequate for 2 people of average height and weight, with knee room to spare. Three people is a bit tight, but is doable (especially with the lack of a large bump in the middle of the floor seem in many cars). No cup holders in the back, but this has not been an issue for us. Controls in the car are intuitive and easy learn and use. The colors of the interior lighting is also very nice (soft blues, not reds or yellows). Trunk space is surprisingly adequate for multiple suitcases, groceries, whatever we have tried fitting in it thus far. Rear seats folding down helps if more space is needed. Things we are still unsure of at this point: Reliability (though Hyundai has improved in this regard and previous generation had sound reliability); ability to safely fit child seats in back; Winter weather driving; Gas mileage (usually with Eco mode on): As low as 26mpg in aggressive stop and go city driving. Generally 28-33 in mostly to all city driving. 38 to 42 in mostly to all highway driving. Pretty nice! Overall: This car is way better than I expected so far. Many features and creature comforts for a small car. Time will tell with reliability and winter driving.

Great Car

by Greg from Tampa, Fl. on Fri Mar 14 2014

I bought the 2012 Hyundai Accent with 34,000 .miles on it , have drove it approx. 1,000 miles so far. Gas mileage is always around 36 mpg highway and city combined, the car is surprisingly quick for a 1.6 liter with a 6 speed automatic transmission. The car is fully loaded with the premium package. Interior is comfortable and well designed, the exterior is an excellent designed, looks much larger than it is. The 16 inch wheels and tire make the car handle excellent, stereo is great. For a small gas saver this car is great, best bang for the buck.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Accent

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

A few years ago the subcompact class was supposed to take over the auto industry. There was a slew of small cars with low sticker prices and decent efficiency, power and features. While all of them got you to Point B, few did so as a complete package, and the segment as a whole didn't set the world afire, even with high gas prices. Hyundai's Accent was at the rear of the pack, and for 2012 the company has completely redesigned its entry-level offering.

The Accent now runs away from the rest of the segment in terms of value and features.

The bulbous two-door hatchback body style... Read More