NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2012 Accent

2012 Hyundai Accent

2012 Hyundai Accent

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2012 Hyundai Accent?

Good Fuel Economy, but avoid in any Snow Climate

by Daily Driver with a 100+ mile Commute from Northeast Ohio on Tue Aug 05 2014

I've had a 2012 Accent, 6 Speed manual for about a year now. This car is used primarily for commuting, as I drive about 52 miles to and from work every day, mostly highway driving. I'm simply going to provide you with the pros and cons of this vehicle, and let you make your own assessment from there. Pros: It's easy to drive, and the manual is easy enough to shift especially for an economy car. The gas mileage overall is quite good, depending on how you drive it. If you're easy on the throttle and cruise at around 70mph, it's not hard to average about 40-42 mpg in this car calculated from the pump. If you're an aggressive drive like me and tend to average more around 80-85mph and accelerate hard occasionally, you'll see more around 37mpg which I don't think is bad at all for that speed. Cons: A lot of these you're already expecting when dealing with this class of car. Of course it's light on features, and the interior and exterior are cheaply made. I can deal with that, but what really kills this car is just how flimsy the chassis and suspension is. Despite having one of the loosest suspensions I've ever driven a car with, it rides rough and you'll feel plenty of bumps in the road. There's a ton of body roll so don't expect to be able to go around any corners above grandma speed. But what really kills the appeal of this car is just how unsafe it is to drive in inclement weather. Anything as light as 10-15mph wind gusts WILL push this car 2-3 feet off center, and you'll have to be ready to counter steer to avoid swerving out of your lane or into another driver. Performance in the rain is poor as well, so expect to hydroplane often and slow down much more than in more grounded cars to keep it safe. And then we get to snow... don't even try to drive this thing with stock tires in the snow. You will literally get stuck in 1-2 inches and be unable to accelerate or brake at all. It honestly felt identical to the time I made the mistake of driving a Mazda3 with summer tires in the snow which is a terrible idea. Even if you buy snow tires for this car, it's still downright unsafe to drive in the snow. The car is simply to light to ever gain traction, and at speed when traction loss occurs, it will pull hard to one direction and the steering wheel will have no effect which makes it very easy to crash into a median or side rail if you're not an experienced driver. The electic steering here is also a horrible feature, as it makes it very difficult to feel what your tires are doing in such weather conditions. It's like driving a dead fish. In summary, this is a fine car if you live in Texas or Florida. But if you live in any state with even a brief winter, please get a Fiesta or another car instead that can actually handle itself in the snow with proper snow tires.

Does not recommend this car!!

You should know this before purchas:No spare tire

by James from on Mon Jan 28 2013

One thing surprised me was that there is no spare tire in hyundai accent 2013 GLS A/T. This feature is not being mentioned in the window sticker, any expert reviews and by the sale persons. Probably less than 1% custermer know this before they purchased this car. It is not fair not to let customer know this because most of them assumed that there is alway a spre tire in the trunck.!

Lovely little car

by tclune from Central MA on Fri Dec 30 2011

I bought this car for commuting -- I drive 100 miles round-trip each day, and mileage is important. I am getting just under 40 mpg on my mixed city/rural commute. But I got a lot more than I bargained for. This car is lovely inside and out. It is a lot more roomy than I was expecting. It is a lot quieter than my old Echo was, and puts that quiet to good use with a very nice sound system. So what's not to like? A few relatively small things. First, the driver's seat has poor lumbar support. There is no adjustment for that, so I now use a small firm pillow for lower back support when I drive Second, the headlights aren't really bright enough. I drive some country roads that are dark at night, and the headlights just don't light up the road unless they are on high beam. Third, there is no spare tire or jack with the car. They have some kind of flat-fixer kit that doesn't inspire much confidence, and they include free roadside assistance for the first five years, which is a bit more reassuring. But I'll probably buy a donut and a jack before much longer. Fourth, the storage space and cupholders are fewer and closer together than they need to be. My Echo had a storage bin under the passenger seat that was handy for such things as collapsing umbrella storage, and storage bins under the dash for miscellaneous junk. The Accent has a couple of cup-holders (that are too close together for putting two of those big gulp-style cups in them at once) and a small storage bin under the radio that isn't quite wide enough to accommodate CD jewel cases. It wouldn't have cost much to have created a bit more dump space. But, apart from those few quibbles, I am delighted with this car. I gave it a good grade for reliability, but I really have no idea how well the car will hold up. It's a new design this year and, while it seems solid, only time will tell.

New Accent attractive and smooth

by Uptown Doug from Sacramento on Fri Aug 03 2012

I bought my Accent SE in June 2012 in Sacramento. I paid $16,900, and chose it over the Kia Soul Plus for its lower price (almost $1000) and better gas mileage. It's a fun car to drive, very smooth, like a little sports car. Has plenty of pep, drove to Reno up Hwy 80 and it went up those mountains easily, and faster than I should have gone! It has cruise, steering wheel function controls, an arm rest that is at the right height, plenty of room to load items in the rear with the seats down. Adequate room in the back for passengers, but not for long trips. So far (two months) my only complaints are: 1. Stereo has inadequate power! Needs a pre-amp. 2. So far have not even come CLOSE to the 40 mpg advertised as highway mileage. Two trips so far that involved mostly highway miles and barely made 32 mpg. Round town driving has averaged about 30 mpg so far. That was what was advertised, and it has delivered on that. I'm still waiting for the 40 mpg on a trip!

Cheap good car

by Mo on Fri May 18 2018

I've had my car for 6 years and it has driven good up until now. It's starting to burn a lot of oil. My mechanic says the engine will need replacing soon. I will most likely get another car though. I'm at 116,000 and haven't had any issues out of it other than the engine light coming on for the sensor. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it and am ready to part ways.

Lots of bugs

by Brad from Fort Collins CO on Mon May 20 2013

On going issue with check engine lights and valve stem tire pressure monitoring makes it a pain. Plus occasional window not wanting to roll up. Dealer solution is to reset the computer. O that is very comforting . I am glad it has a 5 year warranty but I will have rid myself of it long before then. Plus the front end is so low most of the under engine protection is damaged just from speed bumps and street drain pans.

I love this car!

by accentfan from Cary, NC on Mon Jan 30 2012

I purchased the new Accent GS hatchback. Tool a chance as it had not yet been reviewed, but no regrets. Stylish exterior and interior, peppy performance. I like the ECO feature,as it helps me get optimum mileage. I average 27-30 around town,and 38 highway. I was considering the Kia Rio5,which is basically the same car,but the communications system was extra on Kia,whereas it is standard on Hyundai, so about $1500 less. Great buy!

Super Cute

by Lily from California on Sun Nov 06 2011

Love, Love, this car.. we bought the hatch back se it has more than you would think a small car should have

Great Buy

by Jack from Madison, Wisconsin on Tue Sep 17 2013

I didn't know about cars.com. A relative recommended it to me, and even found the car. The ride is smooth, though it's a little unsteady in lane changes. It may just be that I'm getting used to it. The radio has Sirius XM until it expires. The sound is great, but I get a little tired of programmed listening. I prefer an actual radio show with a DJ, even with commercials, which I can tune out. Everyone I've talked to loves Hyundai.

Awesome Green Hyundai

by Officer Ed from Giddings, Tx on Mon May 28 2012

I bought the car 2 months ago and I have put 3000 miles on it. I am very impressed with this car. It is everything I wanted and more. The styling is top notch (I think Hyundai is continuing to hit homeruns with their vehicles) and the fuel economy is superb. Just last week, I filled up in my home town and drove to Austin, Texas, which is about 60 miles away. I drove back and filled up again. I divided the total miles by the amount of gas and I got just over 42 mpg. Granted, I drove extremely gently (I didn't drive faster than 60 mph and was very careful when it came to stopping and going). I average around 34 mpg in combined driving. There are a few minor things that I had to get used to. I switched from a 2010 Honda Civic to the Accent GLS. The outside mirrors feel a little on the cheap side and the wheel well lip is very thin. But, for the price I paid for this car, it serves my needs. There is plenty of room and the dash design is one of the best I've seen. I have had absolutely no problems with my car "Kermit". It has performed flawlessly since new. I continue to "sell" my car to others who are in the market for a new one. I am sold on Hyundai!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Accent

Editor’s note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car’s stated mileage.

A few years ago the subcompact class was supposed to take over the auto industry. There was a slew of small cars with low sticker prices and decent efficiency, power and features. While all of them got you to Point B, few did so as a complete package, and the segment as a whole didn’t set the world afire, even with high gas prices. Hyundai’s Accent was at the rear of the pack, and for 2012 the company has completely redesigned its entry-level offering.

The Accent now runs away from the rest of the segment in terms of value and features.

The bulbous two-door... Read More