1992 Hyundai Elantra

Not bad looking or performing but a total lemon

by from Erie PA on June 19, 2013

Bought brand new base Elantra 4 door in 1992. This car had nothing but serious problems. 5 speed trans had to be rebuilt at 15k (wouldn't go in to 3rd gear), throttle body died at 25k, front end components started to rattle at 30k, numerous electrical problems especially exterior lights, paint flaked from exterior components, engine leaked oil, engine broke timing belt at 52k miles and bent all the exhaust valves and had to have head replaced. Car was in for warranty repairs 18 times in a little over 3 years until I got sick of being without the car for days on end and sold it. Even though Hyundai cars are better now, it left such a bad impression I would not consider a Hyundai car ever again.

First Hyundai and not my last!

by from Houlton,Maine on January 31, 2009

Amazing car!I have drove this since November of 1991 and this is the absolute best car!I would totally recommend this almost perfect vehicle! The reliability is perfect no problems at all!I will keep driving this 'till it brakes down.I have the 4 door sedan base and got it for a little over $10,000. The comfort is good to, and the performance is like the best!The handling still is average a bit tricky. I am totally going to by another Hyundai Elantra for 2009! I hope it is as good as the old one! Absolutely buy one,Because this is no ordinary vehicle!Hopefully it is also a reasonable price,from $10- $20,000.Well by for now!

Our Expert Review: 1992 Hyundai Elantra