2014 Santa Fe Sport

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Have You Driven the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport?

Best crossover for a smaller family

by Tristan from Baltimore, MD on Sat Feb 21 2015

Introduction: This was our 3rd Hyundai purchase and each model has impressed me more then the one before. When it came time for our 2nd Child I traded my 2010 Genesis Coupe for the Santa Fe Sport 2.4L Base model with AWD. I spent considerable amount of time researching various "crossover" type vehicles knowing my situation was changing and we really needed two cars capable of transporting our family of 4. My wife had a 2011 Sonata with the same engine as the base model Santa Fe. After almost 4 years and 90k miles it was the lowest maintenance and most efficient car I had ever seen. The reason I selected the Santa Fe sport was mostly because I was able to get the exact same engine in a crossover which also looks better then most of its competitors. Initial Impressions: After deciding on the Santa Fe Sport I found my local dealer had the exact car I wanted. A base model with AWD in black. Unlike some other manufacturers I was able to drive off the lot with a "base" model and only had to pay $1,750 extra for the AWD option. If you look at dealer inventories for these vehicles you'll see the AWD models move much faster then their FWD counterparts. I consider it to be completely worth the extra cost for 2 reasons: The performance difference in bad weather/ peace of mind and resale value. In 10 years if i decide to sell this vehicle I'm sure no one will care if it has heated seats as long as it has AWD and was well cared for. Status after 7 months and 7k miles: I have already changed the oil twice even though it may not be required by the manufacturer. Overall MPG has averaged from 20 (daily driving around town) to 25 on longer highway trips. Just like our Sonata there have been no issues, check engine lights and I have yet to see a recall notice in the mail. Side Story: The biggest and most understated advantage of this vehicle is its winter performance. I have a job where I'm forced to work long hours during the winter and always have to be able to get to work. In the morning when I left there was a winter storm warning and I knew I'd be at work much of the day. By the time I left in the late afternoon we already had half a foot of snow and the temperature was under 20 degrees (catastrophic by mid-atlantic standards!) The Santa Fe sport in AWD lock mode took the hilly and winding backroads like a champ! I passed numerous stuck vehicles on the trip home of approximately 20 miles. Even my coworker who left earlier with a 4wd/full size SUV told me how bad the roads were, particularly one hill on my way home which is a significant incline over 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile. About 3/4 of the way up the Toyota Highlander in front of me panicked and turned around. There was a 3 car accident at the top of the bend and he told me on the way down he'd take a different way. Just then horns blared behind me as a Cadillac crossover came up the hill, apparently concerned that if they slowed down or stopped that they might not make it the rest of the way. I dropped a gear and managed to get around the stuck cars at the top of the bend. My traction control/AWD system kicked in at one point as it strugged towards the top but kept me going straight and over the hill. The Cadillac behind me made it over as well but quickly fell behind my rear view as we continued down the road home (and I swear I'm not a fast driver!) Bottom Line: This vehicle is not in the same class as the Escape, Rav4 or CRV but costs about the same amount if options are selected wisely. A very stylish crossover with good color choices and options for those who expect more features. Excellent safety features and plenty of room for a family up to 4 people (plus a dog, who rides in the back). Reliability of the 2.4L engine is amazing. Gas mileage is not as good as a sedan but excellent by AWD/SUV standards. This vehicle is very enjoyable to drive and I recommend anyone in the market for a crossover to consider it as an option.

Some engineering designs should be looked into

by bubba from New Hudson, MI on Sat Aug 15 2015

Not as well constructed as my 2012 was. Drivers seat, bottom framework had to be replaced, broke. Same problem with drivers side weatherstrip door. Had to replace , torn. All in all, still a great car and I will purchase another one.

You'll love the Santa Fe Sport!

by Tom Terrific from Wyoming on Sat Nov 08 2014

I've had my Santa Fe Sport for six months and about 3,600 miles now, so I've had time to get to know it pretty well. The verdict is.........I wouldn't trade it for any other crossover on the market. It's quiet, comfortable, easy and fun to drive, and I personally think it's the best looking vehicle on the road. My only criticism is that the gas mileage is a little less than what I'd hoped for--but everything else about the vehicle is perfect, so who cares.

2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo

by CrabMonster from St George, Utah on Wed Jun 25 2014

Just traded in my 2013 Santa Fe for a 2014. No problems with the 2013, just wantd to change the color and actually got the new one for 200 less than the last one because of the incentives, plus the new one has the Navigation and the 550 watt, 12 speaker with surround sound Infidity Stereo System that is unbelievable. I have driven many a Lexus, and believe me, the Santa Fe is just as good and cost a lot less money. It drives so smooth, the Turbo does a real nice job, and it just looks so classy inside and out. There is plenty of storage space and the whole cabin is very roomy. I get 20 mpg city and 27 to 28 hwy. If your buying from Vegas, go to Planet Hyundai on Sahara and see Ronnie Youn, he will take real good care of you. If your looking for a new SUV, check out the Santa Fe before you decide on anything. The warrenty is also pretty dam good, 10yr/100,000 on the powertrain and 5yr/60,000 miles on just about everything else. You also get free 24hr roadside assistance for 5 years. I went from the Sorrono Red, which was real nice to the Pearl White with the Beige Interior. The Pearl White really glistens in the sun and the Beige Interior really looks great inside.

Fed Up With Snow!!

by First Time SUV Owner from West Suburbs of Chicago on Wed Mar 12 2014

3/12/14 Here we go again in Chicagoland! 4-6 inches of new snow overnight...over 70 inches this season. 3rd snowest in Chicagoland! Mid-way through this winter season I traded in my 2013 Hyundai Sonata for the 2014 AWD Santa Fe Sport. I love the way this vehicle handles snowy roads. Great style, comfort, and classy interior. But, going from a sedan to an SUV takes some adjusting. The mpg from the Sonata was 23/33...the Santa Fe AWD 19/25....so I get a little over 300 miles to a 17.4 gallon tank of gas on the Santa Fe. I definitely like sitting higher for visiability and feel very safe, but another adjustment for sedan to suv is the right turning...have gone over a couple of curbs. And another adjustment I had to learn...If you have a garage door opener, NEVER activate it up or down while the SUV is in the garage and the tail gate is up! Almost had a disaster!!! The blind spot detector in the Santa Fe is helpful...wish I had it in the Sonata. In the Santa Fe, I do find it difficult to see the readings on the speedometer during bright sunlight, even if dash lighting is set to the highest level. Two things I miss in the Santa Fe navigation that were in the Sonata navigation system. The Santa Fe navigation does not show a continiously the name of the street you are driving on, and the voice activation in the Santa Fe does not recognize commands as well as the system in the Sonata did. But all in all, I am happy with the first 500 miles thus far...just cringe a bit with the frequency of having to get gas, but have to accept that that is the trade-off for having an AWD SUV that gives me the safety and traction I want driving in wintery Chicagoland!

Took this rather than Lexus RX350 and Caddy SRX

by Former Cadillac Owner from Naples, FL on Thu Oct 02 2014

Tried out many vehicles but took this one. Great value for the money. Very easy to drive, good in tight spots, peppy engine and transmission, comfortable, loaded with everything except turbo - not needed. Love the sky roof, back-up camera, visibility. GPS is fussy, too much tech, spend too much time in manuals, wipers have too many settings and various controls are spread everywhere but once you get used to it, it's bearable - would probably buy another one. The 10 year warranty and price makes it a no brainer.

New Hyundai Owner

by JW from Mandeville, La. on Mon Jun 23 2014

Have only had my Santa Fe Sport for less than a month. So far I love it. There are a couple things Hyundai needs to address: the lack of automatic opener for back hatch from inside or out and the reflection created in the front windshield from the color design in the dash. It's not desirable. I have not had the car long enough to say much more. Rear view visibility is a bit limited especially with the headrests up in the back. I love the car?none are perfect. Love the size and way it drives. Gas mileage to be determined as I drive more. So far it's pretty good. I have the 4 not the turbo. Getting about 21.5 in the city. .Also all the fiddling potential with the front computer screen is not the way car designers should be going. Too distracting. Too many immature drivers who will fool with that instead of watching the road. Between the phones with texting and these car dashboards it's really dangerous.

Hyundai did it again!!!

by Odlanier from Georgetown,Texas on Fri Jan 17 2014

This is my 3rd Hyundai brand purchase, so far I have never been disappointed. Santa Fe Sport - awesome!!! Feels solid all around, styling was well thought of, ergonomics - great!!!.Still in the break in period so I can't comment much about fuel mileage and full engine power. If you're looking for a crossover - this should be on the top of your test drive list.

Roomy, Quiet, Stylish

by Toddlermom from Beaver Falls, PA on Sat Mar 01 2014

We bought this car because it was recommended by consumer reports. It is very luxurious for the price and we are happy with the purchase. The inside is very well made and the "extras" make it feel as if you are driving a higher end model of car. When you approach the car, little lights go on by the handles as if to say: "Welcome!". It's a little perk and probably unnecessary but I really appreciate it! I was pleasantly surprised at how little garage space this car takes up too! The push button start takes some getting use to if you are and "old school" person but we've had no problems with it at all. If I were to change anything, I would give it more room to enter in the front seats. You have to bend your head to get in because of the aerodynamic shape of the doors towards the front. If you are short and have your seat up towards the front, you have to cock your head to get in. Once in, it is quite comfy as there is plenty of all around space! The pick up on "Eco" is a bit discouraging and the gas efficiency leaves a bit to be desired. I definitely feel safe and like that I'm at the same level as the other cars on the road rather than a small target like I did before. I drove a sedan/wagon before which was low to the ground prior to this purchase. Driving in today's SUV world almost dictates that you own one when you are a growing family that recognizes the importance of having a safe car to drive in.

Great Car

by Hyundai Sports Lady from Tennessee on Mon Oct 20 2014

I love my new car. It drives good in the city and on the road. Performance is great. I would recommend this car to everyone!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Editor's note: This review was written in August 2012 about the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2014, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

Time had passed the Hyundai Santa Fe by. A once-great vehicle started settling for OK as the competition — and all of Hyundai's other models — got better. The automaker has enlivened its lineup during the past two years with fresh designs and new powertrains; now it's the Santa Fe's turn.

A major redesign pushes the... Read More