1999 Sonata

3 out of 5 stars Interior Design
3 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance
3 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1999 Hyundai Sonata?

Great Car

by EPK from on Wed Feb 22 2017

I've owned this car for 18 years; I am the original owner. I am very mechanically inclined and do extensive auto work. My girlfriend bought a 2000 Honda Civic at about the same time as I bought this car and I've maintained both for 18 years. We both paid 17K but the difference in what you get for the money is unreal. I got a 6 cylinder she got a 4. I got an automatic hers was standard. I got alloy wheels she got steel with plastic hubcaps. I got a sunroof the she did not. I got a midsized car she got a compact and the comfort and ride quality is far superior to the Honda. Now, for the important stuff. In 18 years the only somewhat expensive thing that went on the Hyundai was an alternator but her radiator went on the Honda so that evens out. Other than that both cars had a few sensors go bad. So take it from someone first hand. The Hyundai was just as good and reliable a car as the Honda. But for 18 years I was comfortable whereas the Honda was a tin can that I hated to drive.

Cheap for a reason

by Fed up from Virginia Beach, Virginia on Mon Feb 25 2008

So the reason why they can sell these cars so inexpensively is because they are made terribly. Since owning my car several, dare I say, stupid things have broken on it ie: my turning signal lever...it dangled for a couple days until I got it fixed; the motor for my driver's side "power" windows...kiss drive thrus good bye. And besides the little things, big things break too without any forewarning. My entire radiator broke so that I couldn't drive the car at all, without so much of a hint that it was about to happen. When I drive this car I feel like I'm driving around in a matchbox car, and I feel COMPLETELY unsafe. It always feels like it's about to fall apart. Please save yourself the headache and avoid this car!!!

Does not recommend this car!!

Our Take on the 1999 Hyundai Sonata

If you know anything about the recent history of Korea, it should come as no surprise that Hyundai is rising fast in the auto industry.

After the Korean War ended in 1953, South Korea was little more than a heap of smoking ashes. But the Koreans are hard workers. And they've proved to be a quick study.

By the 1980s, the country was an economic powerhouse. The Korean auto industry started having global aspirations about that time. But the first Hyundais that landed on these shores in 1986 were truly awful. They leaked. They smoked. They rusted. They fell apart. And Hyundai almost packed it in here.

While the communist North Koreans can't even build a bicycle, the... Read More