Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2011 Sonata Hybrid

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

4.2

Have You Driven the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid?

Great Gas mileage

by Conservative with a Hybrid from Orlando Fl on Mon Nov 07 2011

I am discovering the car, particularly on the highway, exceeds the 40 mpg mileage ratings. On a round trip from Florida to upstate NY I averaged 41.5 miles per gallon. I have found that the gasoline savings I am experiencing justifies the difference in price between the hybrid and a comparably equipped regular Sonata. Unlike most hybrids, when the battery is charged enough it will switch over to all electric regardless of the speed. You can be drivng down the highway at 70 mph and be in electric mode. Anytime the gasoline engine is running, excess power is going to charge the battery. At 70 mph I have found the car is on gas 2/3 of the time and 1/3 on electric. (It cycles between gas and electric about once every minute at highway speeds.) The transistion between the two is not detectable except on the display on the dash which tells you which mode you are in. I love the car! It just never seems to need gas unlike my Navigator that seems to need to stop at every station!

Best Hybrid yet!

by supercop405 from Port St Joe, Fl on Mon Sep 26 2011

Great look, ride, fuel economy, and room. I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid that I use for work, and the Sonata is so much more roomy, and gets considerably better gas mileage. This is definately a keeper, and what a stylish Hybrid, not your typical prius looking Hybrid.

EXPECTED BETTER FROM HYUNDAI

by LauraKinPhiladelphia from Philadelphia, Pa on Wed Jul 06 2011

The 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with Premium Package is a stunningly beautiful car with a luxury car level of comfort. The gas mileage has been disappointing though; not much better than my previous non-hybrid Sonata. The most disconcerting problem, however, is my Check Engine Light has been coming on since 451 miles. (I now have 1381 miles on my odometer.) My Dealership is still trying to determine the cause of the Check Engine Light. Also, the XM Radio did not initially work. The Dealership installed a new antenna, then a new radio. The XM Radio now works, but the display screen for the Radio is different than the original one. The other concern I have had with 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is that when you put the car into reverse when parking on an incline, the car continues to roll forward for several feet. My Dealership has told me this is normal. I feel this is dangerous & most definitely should not be normal. I bought my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid on May 25, 2011. My prior car was a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4 Cylinder & it was the perfect car (no problems at all durig the 6 years I owned the car). I was expecting another great car, because the 2011 Sonata Hybrid was made in the same auto plant in Assan where my 06 Sonata was made. So far I have been disappointed in the reliability of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

Does not recommend this car!!

excellent automobile

by I am not a liberal from Milwaukee, WI on Mon Aug 29 2011

wonderful auto, will be buying a 2012 for wife... she loves to drive my car. Lowest MPG 40, High 42 what a gas saver... 3 months and 9,700 miles

great choice

by our car from Kingman, AZ on Wed May 04 2016

We bought our car brand new and have over 75k on it now. The mileage has been great and for the most part the car is very comfortable to drive and ride in. There are a couple of things that would make it better. 1. the 3rd person in the back seat has to set on a hump and they usually find this very uncomfortable, thus making our 5 passenger car fit for only 4. 2. there are no cup holders in the back seat if you have 5 passengers cause the cup holder is in the drop down center console. 3. the cup holders in the front are not user friendly for bigger drinks. They interfere with the gear shift and the other drink. 4. You can not charge your cell phone if the car isn't running. 5. the inner fenders will not stay in place, and they rattle all the time. Other than these items we love our car.

Hybrid

by HYbrid from Texas on Sun Jun 05 2011

The negative first, passenger seat is not adjustable in height & sits very low. Not comfortable for shorter people. Bought the Premium package model. The positives seem to have no end as I drive the car. Acceleration is very good, fun to drive, radio great, handling excellent, quiet cabin, trunk more than adequate. Gas mileage is about right on target with the 35/40 window sticker. Mixed driving I have averaged 39.6 - 70% Hwy. Driver's seat is comfortable & electric adjustments. Controls are easy to read, navigation easy. I am totality impressed. Miles driven 600.

Love my Sonata Hybrid

by Scott from Houston, TX on Thu Jul 14 2011

Already have almost 7,000 miles on my Sonata Hybrid. Just took a 4,000+ mile road trip and averaged 41.5 miles per gallon. Extremely comfortable seats and high build quality. Blue tooth works better than my recent Toyota Venza. Receive many compliments on exterior looks.

Long wait

by eco friendly commuter from maryland on Wed Sep 07 2011

Aside from a blue tooth problem the car runs nice. I have improved my gas mileage by purchasing this new hybrid. Sometimes shiftling is rough, especially in the eco mode but good acceleration and handling. By far the best combination of car in the price range. I had to wait almost two months for this model to arrive and another month for the title to arrive. Great improvements by Hyundai in the vehicle, now they need to improve their distribution and vehicle management systems.

OUTSTANDING CAR

by JUANITO from EL PASO, TX on Wed Oct 10 2012

PEOPLE WHO DON'T LILKE THIS CAR HAVE A LOT TO LEARN. WE DROVE OUR SONATA FROM EL PASO TO LAS VEGAS ON ONE TANK OF GAS! IF THAT IS NOT GOOD MILEAGE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS. THE RIDE IS COMPORTABLE AND THE STYLING IS HEAD TURNING. JUST DRIVING INTO A GAS STATION HAS PEOPLE ASKING ME WHAT KIND OF CAR IT IS. THEY ASKED ME IF IT WAS A LEXUS, I ANSWERED NO, IT'S BETTER. I HIGHLY RECOMENT THIS CAR.

Getting nicer since last October recall service

by Jay from VA on Wed Apr 11 2012

I've been driving this car since last June 2011. I love the exterior, interior and many features. Received a lot of compliments about design since the first day I bought it. At that time mileages were not good enough as their sticker mileage. Since i got a recall service on last November, dealer says they updated some software, mileages were much improved.. Now i can easily get 37-38 MPG. I hope they keep improving their software like MS windows do, and increase MPG , etc..

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

In the world of hybrids, there are two schools of thought: You can buy a Toyota Prius — a hard-core, 50-mpg hybrid with funky styling and a utilitarian interior — or you can pay more and get less-spectacular mileage in a more comfortable sedan, like a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry hybrid. Hyundai joins that second group with its first hybrid, which is based on the Sonata sedan.

The Sonata Hybrid is a comfortable cruiser with little to no tradeoff in terms of comfort or performance compared with the gasoline-only, four-cylinder Sonata.

What exactly does the Sonata Hybrid... Read More