Read or write a review.

4.0
Average based on 39 reviews

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L

by from Reno, Nevada on November 29, 2012

I bought this car for my wife since it's a Jeep and has four wheel drive. Typical four wheel drive system from Jeep with shift on the fly. This one has traction control. Gas mileage is not the best but similar to many SUV's out there at an average of 18 mpg. CD, decent radio, ergonomics is acceptable. Seats are firm, ample leg room, nice size trunk, privacy glass, fog lights, intermittent wipers, aluminum wheels and a real spare tire. As a replacement for the venerable Cherokee which I really like, this one is more car-like than one would expect. It's not a Wrangler, but for someone looking for a daily with off the road capability, it is very capable. I recommend this for someone looking for an SUV that can seat 4 and go off road trail with your cargo. I expect this vehicle to last at least ten years and anything more is just extra.

Very Happy Thus Far!

by from Seattle, WA. on March 21, 2015

My husband and I just bought our 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited two weeks ago with 136,000 miles on it. It's only been a few weeks, but we are very happy with it. It sits up high off the road and makes me feel very safe while driving. It is quiet and smooth and drives more like a regular sedan versus a SUV with how quiet it is. The headlights offer a wide beam side to side on the road as well as straight ahead so it's really easy to see the road at night. The heater and A/C work great, as well as our front-seat warmers. Definitely great for our colder Northwest climate. We are very happy with our cute, sporty Jeep liberty and have received numerous compliments on it. As I said, we've only had it a few weeks - but so far so good!

Great car for everyday use

by from CA on July 16, 2012

This jeep is amazing and is always reliable. Great turn radius... better than the sedan in the family. Turn is good size but is very visible to people walking by unless you have a cargo cover. Seats fold down to make larger trunk space when moving largo cargo like tables and couches. Great seating for 4 full grown men or great with three smaller kids in the back and 2 adults. There is plenty of leg room.

My first SUV

by from Phoenix, AZ on May 23, 2007

I love my Jeep. it is stylish, handles well and has all the little bells and whistles that I love!! I bought this for a ton of reasons, one of which is that the reviews said that it has great gas mileage, 21 city 27 hwy. That is SO NOT TRUE!! One of the previous reviewers said it right... Gas mileage is closer to 12 city and 16 hwy. I'm very disappointed about this, but at least the Liberty uses regular fuel. Other than that, I have no complaints about my Jeep. Its a great vehicle.

Great vehicle

by from South Coastal Massachusetts on April 9, 2012

I was set on a cherokee and ended up with a liberty and am so glad i made the decision to switch. 6 cylinder in this small suv makes it really peppy. 6 Years old and looks new-

excellent friend on and off the road

by from Trabzon, Turkey on January 24, 2014

I have been used 2006 Liberty with 2.8 CRD engine version. The off-road capability of the vehicle is excellent. Turning angles and articulation capacity are fit for driving on the narrow and rough roads. In winter conditions, four-WD facility and ESP technology encourage drivers for planning long trip. Luggage capacity may be extended with upper side carriers or baskets.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great as "extra" vehicle, but not a daily driver

by from Indiana on April 21, 2014

In high school, I got a $400 hunk of Cadillac and drove it for five years (loved that car!) but got upgraded to the Jeep when in college when I came onto some unexpected money. It was already 3 years old and had 60k on it, but it was in great shape. Before I continue, I acknowledge that I abuse my Jeep, but I also work really hard to fix and maintain it as needed. I take care of all of my cars. - Great things about the Jeep: It's got pretty decent power. I use it to pull various trailers, and even when I pull over capacity, it doesn't skip a beat. It handles pretty well, especially for a high setting suv. It has a phenomenal turning radius. It's an absolute MONSTER in the snow. Although it's no tricked out rock climber or mudder, it holds its own at the offroad park. As I said above, I take care of my vehicles. The Jeep is really easy to work on because everything is pretty accessible (as opposed to most modern vehicles, Jeeps engineers understand that there some of us out here who still want to work on our own cars). - Terrible things about the Jeep: It's gas mileage... The dealer told me I wouldn't have a problem averaging 22 to 24 under normal driving conditions. I was such a fool to believe him. When I abuse my Jeep (drive 90-100 down the interstate, pull big trailers, plow through snow drifts, go rock climbing, etc.), I get at least 13 mpg. When I absolutely baby it... 14.5 mpg is the highest my Jeep has ever gotten. I've talked to numerous car folks, had five different mechanics look at it (3 being from different Jeep dealerships) and they all say "Nothing’s wrong, that's just the way it is. Too bad for you." Both back window regulators have broken. When these things go, the window just falls. I paid 350 to have the first one fixed. I propped the second one up for free because I refuse to pay to put the same faulty part back into my car. The Jeep’s interior looks decent, but it stains really easy. The bucket seats get uncomfortable if you sit in them for more than about twenty minutes. There's barely any storage. Although it didn't really affect me too much, it is a little concerning that I've gotten six different safety recalls in the four years that I've owned it. - Like I said, I really do like my Jeep Liberty, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t have bought this to be my daily driver.

What a great SUV

by from Martinsville, IN on June 7, 2006

This is a great vehicle it works well for families and is sharp to catch your eye as well. I purchased a diesel my dealer recommended it and I am so glad I did. Great fuel milage.

Owner

by from Eden, Vt on May 30, 2006

Have had such good luck with Jeeps in the past. This 2006 Liberty Limited is our third Jeep as the prior two have been totally trouble free. The full time all wheel drive is fantastic in our winter conditions and has excellent handling characteristics on ice and frozen mud conditions.

My first jeep

by from queens NY on February 27, 2007

This is my first suv and my first vehicle that is not a GM and I love it. It has a smooth ride and the gas mileage is ok for a big vehicle I can weight to dress it up with after martket parts.

Our Expert Review: 2006 Jeep Liberty