2006 Jeep Liberty

Great as "extra" vehicle, but not a daily driver

by from Indiana on April 21, 2014

In high school, I got a $400 hunk of Cadillac and drove it for five years (loved that car!) but got upgraded to the Jeep when in college when I came onto some unexpected money. It was already 3 years old and had 60k on it, but it was in great shape. Before I continue, I acknowledge that I abuse my Jeep, but I also work really hard to fix and maintain it as needed. I take care of all of my cars. - Great things about the Jeep: It's got pretty decent power. I use it to pull various trailers, and even when I pull over capacity, it doesn't skip a beat. It handles pretty well, especially for a high setting suv. It has a phenomenal turning radius. It's an absolute MONSTER in the snow. Although it's no tricked out rock climber or mudder, it holds its own at the offroad park. As I said above, I take care of my vehicles. The Jeep is really easy to work on because everything is pretty accessible (as opposed to most modern vehicles, Jeeps engineers understand that there some of us out here who still want to work on our own cars). - Terrible things about the Jeep: It's gas mileage... The dealer told me I wouldn't have a problem averaging 22 to 24 under normal driving conditions. I was such a fool to believe him. When I abuse my Jeep (drive 90-100 down the interstate, pull big trailers, plow through snow drifts, go rock climbing, etc.), I get at least 13 mpg. When I absolutely baby it... 14.5 mpg is the highest my Jeep has ever gotten. I've talked to numerous car folks, had five different mechanics look at it (3 being from different Jeep dealerships) and they all say "Nothing?s wrong, that's just the way it is. Too bad for you." Both back window regulators have broken. When these things go, the window just falls. I paid 350 to have the first one fixed. I propped the second one up for free because I refuse to pay to put the same faulty part back into my car. The Jeep?s interior looks decent, but it stains really easy. The bucket seats get uncomfortable if you sit in them for more than about twenty minutes. There's barely any storage. Although it didn't really affect me too much, it is a little concerning that I've gotten six different safety recalls in the four years that I've owned it. - Like I said, I really do like my Jeep Liberty, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn?t have bought this to be my daily driver.

Great vehicle

by from South Coastal Massachusetts on April 9, 2012

I was set on a cherokee and ended up with a liberty and am so glad i made the decision to switch. 6 cylinder in this small suv makes it really peppy. 6 Years old and looks new-

excellent friend on and off the road

by from Trabzon, Turkey on January 24, 2014

I have been used 2006 Liberty with 2.8 CRD engine version. The off-road capability of the vehicle is excellent. Turning angles and articulation capacity are fit for driving on the narrow and rough roads. In winter conditions, four-WD facility and ESP technology encourage drivers for planning long trip. Luggage capacity may be extended with upper side carriers or baskets.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Owner

by from Eden, Vt on May 30, 2006

Have had such good luck with Jeeps in the past. This 2006 Liberty Limited is our third Jeep as the prior two have been totally trouble free. The full time all wheel drive is fantastic in our winter conditions and has excellent handling characteristics on ice and frozen mud conditions.

Love my Jeep, but having problems

by from Boynton Beach on November 26, 2007

This is the third SUV and second Jeep I have owned, and while it is really fun to drive, it has been in the shop five times in the past year, all for repairs that should not be needed in a car with less than 9,000 miles on it. Within one month of purchase, it was in the shop due to problems with electric windows, and they are still occurring. Not good!

What a great SUV

by from Martinsville, IN on June 7, 2006

This is a great vehicle it works well for families and is sharp to catch your eye as well. I purchased a diesel my dealer recommended it and I am so glad I did. Great fuel milage.

My first jeep

by from queens NY on February 27, 2007

This is my first suv and my first vehicle that is not a GM and I love it. It has a smooth ride and the gas mileage is ok for a big vehicle I can weight to dress it up with after martket parts.

Overall Great Choice

by from Southwest Virginia on February 15, 2014

Among the options of this vehicle type The Jeep Liberty serves well. I have seen reports that this model year does have issues with the electric window motors. Overall it is a comfortable reliable ride and goes in the snow when needed.

Great car, but the gas mileage is terrible

by from Michigan on February 29, 2008

I leased this jeep for two years and am thinking about buying it. The ride is pretty smooth for a jeep and it is a tank in the snow and ice! I only have two complaints, the seats are hard and too short, and the city gas mileage in the jeep is horrible. I am lucky if I get 15 mpg in the city.

Love My Liberty!

by from Tallahassee, FL on June 10, 2006

I have driven a Trooper, Blazer, Explorer, and Chevy S10. The Liberty is comfortable, reliable, and good looking. The cargo area is a little small, but other than that - it's the perfect small SUV. When I trade it in, it will be for another Liberty!

Our Expert Review: 2006 Jeep Liberty