2011 Sportage

2011 Kia Sportage

2011 Kia Sportage

4.3

Have You Driven the 2011 Kia Sportage?

Stylish, Practical

by Doug from Las Cruces, NM on Thu Oct 21 2010

I've only had my Sportage for 3 weeks; however, I have driven it in a number of conditions in that time...highway, mountain roads, and relatively gentle off-road. Complaints I've read in reviews on other sites are that the suspension is too tight and the seats are too hard. Maybe the seats are a little bit firm; but they feel comfortable enough and sporty at the same time. As for the suspension, I was pleased to have tight suspension as I wound through the mountain roads of Gila National Forest in southern New Mexico. The car cornered great and I couldn't have asked for anything more. As for fuel efficiency, I typically get around 25 to 26 mpg in a 70/30 mix of highway to city driving. However, I got over 30 mpg in a trip that was almost entirely interstate highway driving at approximately 65 mph. That is only marginally worse than I got in my Nissan Versa. This car is a substantial step up from that one; and, the Versa is at least adequate. No problems yet. I'm very pleased.

Love the Sportage!

by carman from oregon on Thu May 26 2011

LX model w convenience package (adds 17" wheels, cargo cover, backup alarm, telescopic steering wheel, heated mirrors carpets and a few other things) and remote start. Exterior- wonderful appearance, aggressive styling. Very modern but not too "look at me" such as with the nissan juke for instance. I am coming from an 07 Audi A4 so styling is important to me. I love the AWD feature and especially the the tires that come with my LX model are mud and snow rated. My opinion is that this vehicle is the perfect combination of interior roominess, AWD, fuel economy and styling. Yes, the ride is stiff. I guess hat depends on what you are coming from though, as my A4 had a punishing suspension geared for slamming the winding roads. So this vehicle is definitely softer than that. Interior. The roominess far exceeds my old car but I have also compared it to many other similar vehicles and even larger suv and it is certainly adds up. I have 2 kids in car seats and they both fit easily. I am 6 foot 1 and I have plenty of head room. I have read poor reviews about the seats but I havent found them bad at all. I really like the cargo/mesh material rather than regular cloth or leather. The controls on the steering wheel are perfect, and the bluetooth is a great feature. the only thing I really dont like is that there seems to be a shortage of drawers or trays for storage. Small defect but I have always stored change in a drawer and this has only a tray in front of the ipod integration and the main center console for storage. I find the steering is fine, I like the thick steering wheel also. The cargo area is big enough, the area where you lose out is if you need to transport something tall. The rear roof slopes down so you lose height. I personally could care less, but some people want the room of a full size with the size of small sport utility. The engine is definitely not what I was used to in the Audi but I didnt get the car for engine power at all, and I find that there is enough to use under normal situations and pass other cars when needed. The sport/manual shifting comes in very handy when you do need that extra boost for passing. Braking seems solid. Overall everything in this car seems like it could be found on a much more expensive vehicle. The interior quality seems great, definitely not cheap feeling. As for my star ratings, I gave 3 stars for comfort because it doesnt ride like a lincoln, 3 for performance because it is right on par with my expectations of a small SUV and 4 for interior design because of a lack of and small storage trays. Overall I couldnt be much happier with a vehicle, especially one that didnt cost me 30k.

2011 Sportage

by KeKe from Idaho on Thu Apr 07 2011

I've had my Sportage since January. I had been driving a larger SUV, and wanted something smaller with AWD or 4WD, and with a warranty in my limited price range. After test driving a number of options, the Sportage came out on top. So far I'm quite impressed. It has nice styling, good handling, gets reasonable gas mileage, and I am unreasonably attached to the "Sand Track" brown color. The AWD worked admirably on our icy, snowy roads. The suspension is stiff, but not unreasonably so. The small side windows do take some getting used to, and I still find myself trying to figure out where my left elbow can sit comfortably, but I am overall extremely pleased with my purchase.

Awesome CUV

by Theeeee Booooker. from Edmonton,AB on Tue Oct 19 2010

Have had my eye on this stylish CUV since they released the pics last year and couldn't wait to take one out for a drive.I did that on Aug 7 and I bought that same vehicle.I have a Bright Silver LX and love it.As a matter of fact I can't seem to find it very often because my wife always leaves before me and snags it! Haven't had a squeak and the Theta 2 engine idles so smooth you think it isn't even running! We really enjoy our new Sportage.

Great Little SUV

by Grandmom from Deatsville, Alabama on Tue Oct 25 2011

The Kia Sportage is simply a great value for the money. Mine is the XL and pretty well appointed. I think the moon roof should be optional instead of coming with a package (same goes for the nav system), but that package is what I had to get to have leather. This shouldn't be, but it is. So, that's why I gave the interior design a 4. Plus a broader array of interior colors would be good. I wanted tan, but they do not make it in the Sportage, I have Alpine Gray. It's pretty. The bluetooth is excellent. We bought weather tech mats (digital) very nice. The motor is slightly underpowered for my taste. But the turbo eats too much gas. So, I'm content with my 4-cylinders getting a consistent 23mpg average. worst tank 21.8, best tank 26. Have had the car since June 30th. I really like it. I don't really need 18 inch wheels either, but again, it comes with the package. So, overall...a cafeteria pick list instead of a forced package is more American, but this is a Korean car. So, there ya go. For the money, you will not find as well appointed of an SUV, as comfortable and fun to drive as the Sportage. The newer styling gets comments like, "is that a concept car?" It is large enough. I had a Mazda CX-9 and it got horrible mileage 18 and 22. It was huge though, and had 3-rows of seating. I loved it, but the mileage in town was making me sick. It had a 6-cylinder that was very fun to drive and was a bit prettier than the Sportage. The Sportage is about $1000 overpriced in my view, but again, you get all sorts of stuff you don't want just to have leather. Oh least I forget, it has a backup camera which is cool. I'm getting better at trusting it. So, I paid a little over $27,500 for my Kia. I think it's worth $25k but oh well. Yo won't find anything appointed like it for $27. Drive it, you'll buy one! But get the turbo. And duck your head when you get in. I bump mine a lot, but I did in the CX-9 and my friend's CX-7. You'll have to go to a boxier design to get away from this. All-in-all..ok. Americans still make the most plush interiors in the world. But you have to pay dearly for it. Will I buy another one? Too soon to tell. I want better mileage. Maybe with time, technology will improve.

horrible steering.

by bandanna from Utah on Fri Apr 29 2011

This could be a great car. I love the motor and trans. The mileage is good, great looks, BUT the steering is horrible. The steering will not maintain a straight line without constant corrections. The corrections have a heavy feel to them. I have two other cars with electric steering and they both steer great. Kia needs a fix for this issue. It ruins what would otherwise be a great car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Does not recommend this car!!

Blown Away

by STL Driver from St. Louis, MO on Mon Oct 01 2012

I purchased my KIA Sportage SX GDI almost 2 months ago. I drove several models before landing on the SX. While the basic styling is similar between trim levels, the SX is "near luxury" and very reflective of a few friends Audi's. The option list is exhaustive and it's fun to drive. It handles fairly tight and with 0-60 at just 6.1 seconds- I was blown away. The engine is pretty quiet for a turbo and very smooth shifting between its 6 gears. Paddle shifters would have been a nice touch. Visibility is good but not great out of the rear. I have read some complaints about it online but it has not been an issue for me. The back-up camera and proximity sensors come in handy. After almost 2 mos I'm still looking for excuses to run errands. I would definitely recommend a visit to your local Kia Dealer if you haven't seen one in person- or better yet, ridden in one.

I love this car

by Have to tell you from West Virginia on Sun Aug 21 2011

We bought a 2011 in November of 2010, so I have had this car for 10 months. I was not in favor of buying a 4 cylinder car.. I had never owned an AWD vehicle. I live in some pretty nasty winter conditions and always felt I had to have a 4X4. Well, last winter changed my mind. I must say that going over the mountain from work, my Kia was more reliable than my husband?s Ford F150 4X4. He would say that he would spin and fish tail up the hill, while I would crawl right up it without a problem. We have 10,000 miles and not one problem. When I am going down the hill, I shift down to save the brakes; I love the auto/manual transmission. I have the ?basic? model, no sunroof, no leather. I have a 2 year old boxer who loves riding, and fits so well in the back compartment. When my brother-in-law was in and took it for a trip, and he came home and could not believe it was a 4 cylinder. He is now thinking about purchasing one, his car (PT Cruiser) is 10 years old. For the price we paid for this, and the warranty, we are extremely happy with this vehicle. The look, the ride, the value is great.

The most convenient, economic,and reliable

by Economy Car Enthusiast from Jupiter, Fl. on Thu May 12 2011

This Kia is one of the most convenient, economic, and reliable cars I have owned in many years. The Kia gets good gas mileage, easy to service, and is easy to drive around town. It has plenty of horse power for the highway, being a four cylinder engine. Also rides good on the highway for a small medium size car, but has plenty of room for four passengers, and luggage or cargo in back of car.

Love my KIA

by Marty from Enfield, CT on Mon Sep 26 2011

I love this car and I get many compliments on its looks. My only complaint so far is that the door panels come up a little higher than I'm used to, so it's difficult to use an ATM machine.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2011 Kia Sportage

It's not often that a compact SUV can turn heads, but the new Kia Sportage does. And while the exterior design may be eye-catching, the interior could be considered class-leading, putting Honda and Toyota on notice that even a Kia can compete with their best-sellers.

There's so much Kia gets right with the 2011 Sportage that it's almost too easy to overlook its few glaring shortcomings.

Looks
You wouldn't call the Sportage stunning, as that term is reserved for sports cars and exotics. But while the Sportage isn't stunning, it is visually dynamic and it turned heads everywhere I drove. The last car I saw turn as many heads for around $30,000 was one of the first Dodge Challengers to land in Chicago. And... Read More