1997 Town Car

1997 Lincoln Town Car

5 out of 5 stars Comfort
5 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 1997 Lincoln Town Car?

Great value, great ride

by roadrunner1 from Tulsa, OK on Thu Oct 20 2011

My 97 Town Car now has 206,000 miles on it and I'm the second owner. When I purchased it 8 years ago, it had only 47,000 miles on it and I never thought I would ever drive a car as long as I have driven this one. It owes me nothing, continues to perform nearly as well as it did when I got it and the needed repair work over the years has been very minor compared to almost any other car I have owned in my 71 years. Not only is the air ride rear suspension a delight to ride on, but the fuel mileage using the recommended low octane fuel rivals a lot of much smaller cars being sold new today with an easy 25 mpg highway. I had considered selling or trading this car several times over the years, but it's difficult to give up a machine like this one that never gives me any trouble and costs so little to maintain. Like any car, it requires some needed repairs from time to time, but if it is well maintained, oil changed with Mobil 1 on a regular basis without fail, etc., this is a car you can depend on year after year after year. A year ago I took it on a 1,500 mile road trip and had no trouble with it. Consumer Reports lists this car as one of the most reliable ever made and due to the fact that Town Cars have huge depreciation from new, buying a used one is one of the best bargains out there today. If I have to replace it at some point in the future, it will be with another Town Car.

Best car ever

by Selling man from New Orleans on Mon Feb 27 2012

This is our third Towncar, our second 97 towncar. It's big and comfortable and gets over 25mpg on the highway. I have been a salesperson for 42 yeaqrs and have driven dozens of cars many, many miles. The 97 Towncar is, in my opinion, the best car ever made.

A Modern Classic

by No Pain Wayne from Iowa on Wed May 02 2012

I said for years if I could find a good '97 TC I would buy it. IMOH the styling went way south with the '98. Picked up my Silver Signature Edition TC with 64K miles on it in Florida one year ago. Didn't realize it was the touring model until I got home (16" wheels, large anti-sway bars front & rear, dual exhaust). Superb comfort, good fuel economy, classic styling for less than a used Cavalier. I've put 15K miles on it and hope to run it many, many more.

affordable luxury

by nicki from st paul, mn on Mon Nov 13 2017

The only downside of this car was the speakers weren't loud enough for me. It was so spacious in every way. It had 6 seat belts and a huge trunk. It was good in the snow too.

So much room and comfort to be traveling in !

by WeehawkenDave from North Jersey on Mon Mar 27 2017

So much trunk room for taking kids to camp, college and family vacations - such a large interior can fit 7 people - great for two as well : ) - and what a smooth ride - "What speed bumps ?" Not to mention power for getting on the parkway etc. Minor repairs over the years but a great value. They don't make cars like these anymore 20 years old - still going, 26 mpg on the highway and a pleasure to drive.

Best car I've owned

by Ben from on Thu Dec 03 2015

Very reliable car and low-cost maintenance! Good gas mileage for it's size and year and it rides like a dream. The only downside is that it can lose traction in the winter, but that is common for a RWD vehicle. My car got 25000 miles on it before the transmission died and I seriously considered fixing it (in hindsight I wish I had).

Best $100 I've ever spent!

by DBJ from Tacoma, WA on Sat Jun 17 2017

Seriously! A dear friend sold it to me for $100, with 197k. Had it three years. Only thing it needed was the intake changed. Absolutely beautiful, well made auto!!!

Very beautiful and very comfortable car.

by Me Fo' You from Honolulu, HI on Wed Jun 14 2017

This car is so easy to drive and so very comfortable to ride in. It makes me very proud to drive it. I just love it. It certainly has served me well for a long time.

Best looking and performing car I've ever owned!

by Roger from Grand Blanc, MI on Thu Sep 01 2016

I've been fortunate to own three 1997 Lincoln Town cars. My first was the Executive model, which I drove over 225,000 and sold it. My second was a Signature series model which I drove to 188,000 miles before a lady making a turn at am intersection totaled it. My third Lincoln is the Cartier series. I purchased this one recently from Jacksonville, AL, with only 88,000 miles on it. It is my dream car. It came with the original cell phone in it. It performs so wonderful, with great gas mileage, that it is a pure delight to drive it. I have had many individuals compliment me on its looks. I've performed a couple of minor touchups on the exterior and interior, but have no complaints with the way it handles on the road. The air conditioning cools extremely well, and the power equipment functions great as well. I wish Ford would reproduce this model. Can't find a better looking or better performing automobile. Though its getting close to being a classic, it is driven almost daily.

Is a very comfortable vehicle and a joy to drive

by gemac from Wellston, OH on Sat Jun 03 2017

Bought this car new in 1997 and have never had a regret. It is a fine automobile with a great ride. Very roomy interior and a huge trunk. Plenty of power and very good gas mileage.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 1997 Lincoln Town Car

The Lincoln Town Car is a survivor.

Now that Cadillac has thrown the last spade of dirt on its rear-drive Brougham, Lincoln-Mercury's 1997 Town Car is the last of the big, rear-drive luxury American sedans. It now is the largest American-built production four-door, being surpassed in size only by stretch limousines.

The '97 Town Car, as with its predecessors, is a story of evolution, not revolution. It takes a practiced eye to distinguish prior models from the present one. Changes have been more mechanical, and in comfort and convenience, than in appearance.

The '97 Town Car continues to be an elegant and majestic motor vehicle, a fitting representative of Lincoln's slogan, "What a luxury car... Read More