1999 SLK-Class

$609 - $14,333  MSRP Range
1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have you driven the 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class?

Stylish Car

by Mercedes Fan from Bedford, N.H. on Fri Apr 27 2007

Bought our car used and loved having it. The styling caught our eye and it drove like a solid car. Always felt very safe with the top down. Loved the hard top and the automatic button that put it up and down. Unlike a lot of convertibles the top didn't block your view when it was down because it was hidden in the trunk. When it is up, there is tons of trunk space (more than most other convertibles we test drove). I can't lie, driving a Mercedes, well, it was just cool.

A Great Car To Drive

by tontz from Ontario, California on Sat Dec 22 2007

This Sports Car is fun to drive and the hard top convertible is very cool. The grip from the tires is amazing when you fly and dont loose grip as you hit the gas. I bought a computer chip and It gave the car 240hp with 260 pounds of torque. Now the car is at 175000 miles and still takes off fast

my favorite sport car!

by MiShO from Beirut, Lebanon on Mon May 24 2010

its a real sports car, great perfrmance, from zero to 100km in a flash, super handling on curves and i enjoy the drive when i go from beirut to the mountain, i recommend this car for every one who likes sport cars! try to drive slowle :P

Best car for the money

by Sig from Oregon on Sat Mar 17 2018

These things are cheap for what you get! Supercharged roadster with excellent handling, hardtop convertible, comfortable leather and dual climate control. I've been daily driving one for several years now, in Oregon where it rains half the time, which I was hesitant about at first but have never had a problem with the roof. I have the AMG sport model and it is one of the most fun cars I've driven. I'm 6'2" and fit ok. It has required a bit of wrenching, basic maintenance & a few relays, so Scotty Kilmer was wrong about this one. It's more fun to drive than the MX-5, and no gremlins like the Boxster seals.. only thing to do is put a plastic bag over the PSE (computer encased in foam in the right rear quarter panel) or water may eventually kill it.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by good car from on Mon Sep 14 2009

I would recommend this, very Reliable Car, sexy looking,good performance, I would recommend it to a friend.

1999 SKL 230

by Chad from Fort Worth on Thu Jul 27 2006

The SLK is a great car for the money. This car is often overlooked when people consider a sports car. Most consider more of a luxury car and a pseudo sports car. But, it does fit in the sports car niche.

"New" 99 SLK owner

by SLK Owner from Columbia, MO on Tue Nov 28 2006

About 2 months ago I purchased my "new" 1999 SLK 230 with 60k miles. I have to say that initally I thought I was going to be too big for the vehicle, and I'm only 5'11". After some adjustments to the seat though, I was able to get nice and comfortable. The first thing that impressed me was the pure "Sports car" feel of the car. Pulling off the lot, the engine whirred a bit as the supercharger warmed up, and soon I had it opened up. The car initally feels a bit underpowered off the line, however as the RPM's count up, you being to really feel the engine pull you. I have the 5-spd Manual, and the grearbox throw feels tight and crisp. My main concern initally after purchasing it was a nagging "check engine" light that continued to re-apper. After checking around online, I learned that the gas cap must be super sealed or the tank sucks in too much o2 and sets off the sensor. The sensor generally resets itself after a few drives. Aside from the normal 7 year old car stuff (new tires, hoses, etc.), my experience has been exceptional. I would recommed one to anyone who can spare the space a two seater offers.

Most Reliable Modern Mercedes You Can Buy!

by Automotive Apprentice from Little River, SC on Mon Sep 18 2017

I owned a R170 1999 Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor. I purchased this car with 91,500 miles on it for $5100 and I think that was the best auto buying decision I've made in a long time, I kept the car for 1 year and 8,000 miles and didnt have a single problem! Not 1 thing! The biggest issue I had with the car was the Dated electronics and styling. Inside and out the car screams late 90's early 2000's and I owned this car back in 2015. I felt that the car had adiquite power at 192 HP considering its size. The car got 30+ mpg and had a fun 5 seed transmission. I reccommend this car to anyone who wants a fun little sports car for not too much money!

My car must be a lemon

by DrLong from Apopka, FL on Sun Jul 12 2009

I bought this car 6 months ago and have had one problem after another. It seems to go through coils alot. Since I bought it the radio quit working, the top won't go up, blew 2 coils, and now it has no power in the engine....I really loved this car when it was running great for about a week! It is a mechanics treasure but an owners nightmare as it is not cheap to repair!

Does not recommend this car!!

Great little car

by CarCrazy from Swisher, IA on Fri Feb 19 2010

This is the best car I have ever owned. I usually trade cars every 6 - 12 months and I have had this car for 3 years and 60k miles (now has 103,000). Maintenance is easy, I can do all of it myself. I like cars I don't have to pay someone else to work on. It handles great, and the style is not dated even though it is an 11 year old car... I still gets lots of looks and compliments. And the top down feature cannot be beat! Great mechanism and has never failed me.

1 2

Our Take on the 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

When Mercedes-Benz introduced the SLK a few years ago, many people were wondering when this neat little roadster would get a manual transmission.

After all, sporty cars are about the only vehicles left that are still offered with a stick shift.

Mercedes brass said they had no plans to offer a stick shift in the SLK because so few drivers want to shift gears themselves these days. But, they said, they would listen to their customers and if enough people wanted the SLK with a manual gearbox, they'd make one.

I just spent a week sporting around Orlando and... Read More