Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 Galant

2001 Mitsubishi Galant

2001 Mitsubishi Galant

4.1

Have You Driven the 2001 Mitsubishi Galant?

Won't get a better deal

by TheMitsMan from Louisville, KY on Fri Nov 30 2007

I've owned this car for more than two years now and it has NOT given me ONE PROBLEM. It not only has a great sporty look with four doors, but it also drives GREAT, and it's really easy to work on. I'm willing to keep mine for as far as it goes and I, wouldn't change it for camry or an accord.

A Pleasurable and Reliable Automobile

by Car lover from Lexington, Ohio on Fri Nov 24 2006

I have had the Galant ES for over 25000 miles and I am very happy with this car. It is responsive, reliable and economical. I have enjoyed its features with no glitches in them whatsoever. It looks sharp and it rides well on the highway with plenty of power when I have needed it.

The Sedan with a Sporty Twist

by styles from Los Angeles, C.A on Mon Aug 07 2006

I have had my Galant for 5 years and I have not had any major problems with the vehicle. The car is well made. The only thing I have to say about the vehicle is that it does let you know when it needs special repairs and be ready to pay a couple of hundred dollars to repair. But once you have repaired it, the vehicle will run. I also found that my galant, es, runs better with the 89 octane gas and not the 87. It also prefers Chevron, Shell or 76 over any other brand gas. It seats 4 comfortably but 5 can fit if everyone is on the medium end. Gas mileage is good if you put gas addetives in the tank. I usually get 300 miles to a tank. The wind noise is about average. The engine noise is also average, but I did notice when I would add an additive to the oil, the engine ran a little quieter.

Love the car even 100k Miles later!

by Long time Galant owner from Bonita Springs, FL on Wed May 21 2008

I bought this car about 4 years ago with 35,000 and put about 100k on it. The car is the ES V6 Galant. The car handles well in rain and has good pick up on the highway. I bought the car for its looks and luckly it has ran very well. My only major problem with the car was that my trasmittion went out at 120k miles. I put over 200k on my toyota without any major problems. However even with replacing the transmittion I?ve spent less on the mitsubishi than I did with the Toyota. The toyota?s AC went out 4 times and had several minor repairs while the Galant was just regular mantainance until the transmittion. I?m about to sell the Galant and I will be very said to see it go. The only reason I?m selling it is because it?s starting to show it?s age and mileage. It still rides like it did when I bought it. I wish the new Galant did not look stupid or else I?d buy it again. Great car highly recommend!!!!

AMAZING RELIABILITY

by Robert B from North Dakota on Mon Oct 16 2017

Mine is a 2001 model we've had since 2002. I drive it as a daily driver and we have bought and traded many cars over the years. The Mitsubishi stays in the driveway because it is such a great reliable car ( 271,671 miles reliable!). It is 17 years old and every switch, the power windows, the AC, the heater fan still work as if it came off the showroom floor. I just took it on a 2000 mile trip to Denver and it did not skip a beat!!! That 4cyl engine has never had any work done to it except for a valve cover gasket and normal maintenance. (3 Timing Belt Changes, Plugs, Oil Changes, Transmission services, etc.) The doors still close tight the interior materials have held up. When this Amazing little car finally wears out in another 10 years or so I will definitely buy another Mitsubishi!!!

So far, so good

by GFan from Kansas City on Sun Aug 26 2007

The great thing about buying a used Galant is that you get a vehicle that gets very respectable reliability ratings, yet the depreciation is terrible. I would never buy one of these new, but I got a great deal on a beautifully maintained 2001 ES about a month ago. And it's a pretty nice car to drive too. Not a ton of power, but enough to do what it needs to do. The ride is surprisingly smooth for an import. It can get a tad noisy during hard acceleration, but its tolerable. I only put 3 stars on the reliability measure because I haven't owned it long enough to really have an opinion on that. I really think the cars.com folks should give a "not applicable" option. You can't really get a good impression of a car's reliability until you've owned a car for at least a year if not more. And supposedly anyone who has driven a car (but not necessarily owned) can fill one of these out.

Bang for the buck!

by I love my Gal from Salt Lake City, UT on Sat Jun 02 2007

I have had my es for 2 years now and have loved it. Runs great, low maintenance, and looks impressive. Its good gas mileage, and has power when I need it. A/C works flawlessly. Great alternative to the Accord, Camry, and Altima.

A good value for your money

by Smooth from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Jul 19 2006

The Galant gives Camry, Accord, and Altima a run for their money. It's power and room, as well as sportiness, is noticable. It is also pretty good on gas when you use the medium grade. Overall, I am having a wonderful time driving the vehicle around.

THE BEST!

by mitsfan4lyfe from Tucson, AZ on Tue Jul 10 2007

This car is so reliable. Its a nice car for a small family or a college student. I really like the ES-V6 in particular. Its a very powerful small car, and is good on mileage. I would recomend this car to any looking for a car.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY

by RGIERS from PLAINFIELD, IL on Mon Feb 11 2013

IVE OWNED MY CAR FOR ABOUT A WEEK IT RUNS RUFF WHEN I START IT UP IT SHIFTS OK IT RIDES PRETTY SMOOTH BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE ENGINE RUNS RUFF WHEN I FIRST START IT

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Mitsubishi Galant

One almost feels sorry for the Mitsubishi Galant, or any car that is sent forth to go mano a mano with the likes of the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

It didn't take the Supreme Court to make the call on this one: when the votes were tallied for the last model year, the Accord handily won the title of best-selling car in the U.S., though Toyota made a good race of it. And this is people voting with their pocketbooks for what often is a more expensive machine than many comparably-equipped rivals. Why? Reliability is the word I hear most often.

Both the Accord and Camry have earned icon status for dependability. The Galant has not. Consumer Reports rates it worse than average for both depreciation and... Read More