2018 Titan XD

2018 Nissan Titan XD

All Reviews

So far, so good!

by RaleighTitan from Raleigh, NC on March 31, 2018

Let me start off by saying my last truck was a 2007 Titan King Cab. I loved that truck, it was durable and powerful (though the first gen was a bit lacking in tech towards the end of production). When I first heard of the new Titan XD, I had big expectations. I'm not sure what exactly I expected when I heard of a "tweener" truck, straddling the 1500 and 2500 truck ratings. Through all my research (like yours), it became clear this truck is much more a heavy-duty half ton as opposed to a 2/4 ton truck. With that knowledge, I was still intrigued. I knew my needs: that I haul dirt bikes around and occasionally a smaller horse trailer. I did not need a diesel engine capable of towing my house, I do not rely on my truck’s ability to tow big loads for work. I loved my old 5.6 V8, but the fuel mileage numbers were upsetting (10 city- 15 highway). I wanted something safer, and just as robust and reliable as my old 2007. I looked at the domestic brands, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with their offerings in my price point. Again, I turned to Nissan and was impressed with the amount of truck I could get for the money. I had decided I wanted a crew cab with 6.5 foot bed, so the XD was the truck for me. That led me to the next big question, gas or diesel. First, I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in Diesel trucks (again, from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge) but I have never owned one. There were plenty of nightmare stories from the first year model XDs, but that is true from new products from most companies. The 5.0 Cummins was smooth and powerful, no doubt about it. It was noticeably slower than the gas (strike one), I wanted to avoid the whole DEF emissions system (strike two), and while it got a couple MPGs better than the gas, Diesel fuel in my area is at least $0.40/gal more than unleaded (strike three). Combine that with higher maintenance costs and the Cummins was ruled out for me. Then I found my truck, a 2018 Titan XD Pro-4x Gas. With some pretty impressive rebates, I found myself taking home the new truck. One look at the frame and actual underbody components and it is clear, this is a serious truck. Admittedly, I only have about 5k miles on it so far but I am impressed. This truck is truly comfortable to ride in. More space than anyone needs, innovative storage that I have come to expect from Nissan, and seriously nice features and materials. Sure, the infotainment system seems a little dated, but it works every time. The sensors and cameras surrounding the vehicle are a must in such a big truck, making it feel smaller than it really is. Fuel mileage is great for a truck this size, averaging 13 city and 18 highway (and the Pro-4x typically gets about 1-2mpg worse than the other trims). I have towed several times with the truck so far (up to 8k lbs) and can say it feels like it can handle much more. Numbers on paper don’t give you a good feeling of how WELL the truck tows. This XD is well planted and controlled when towing bigger loads that would make a traditional half-ton start to sweat, giving you just a little added confidence. Everything on the truck just works, I have to say I am happy with my decision so far. If any of this makes sense to you, go try one. Give the 2018 and up a chance, look at what you are really getting for the money. The 2018 Titan XD is just an honest truck.