Model Details

4.1
Average based on 14 reviews

Xterra is fun to drive!

by from Iowa on June 9, 2006

I drive 100 miles a day, and its a comfortable ride in my 04 XTerra, but the gas mileage is terrible. I am a conservative driver, never speed, but top mileage highway driving is 16 mph with the 6 cylinder engine. Put it in 4 WD or run the air, and it drops even farther. I really like it, but with the gas prices the way they are, I'm really tempted to trade.

LOVE THIS CAR!!

by from Willington, CT on October 20, 2011

Ive had my Xterrra for about 4 months now and LOVE it!!! Im looking forward to the snow (FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!) so i can play around!!

great all around sport utilitie

by from west palm beach florida on April 16, 2012

I enjoy driving My xterra Great all around vehicle The only downside is fair gas mileage. very roomy inside for its size.

Great Off-Road Performer

by from Columbia, Maryland on November 26, 2013

I owned a 2000 Xterra 5-speed manual and moved up to the 2004 5-speed manual. Feels sturdier than the earlier model. Has more power and you can feel it. Better appointments. This vehicle is stable, reliable and drinks gasoline like a man who found an oasis in the middle of the dessert. It's a second car so that's ok. I use this vehicle for moving stuff and camping. It's rugged and dependable. Great for hauling kayaks and climbing mountains.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

LOVE MY XTERRA WITH 330,000 MILES

by from nj on May 17, 2016

I bought my Xterra brand new and used it as my business car all these years until last year ,I was given a company car.at my new job,I finally gave it a break and let it Rest.Old reliable but after 6 months my company car broke down and was forced to put her back on the road ,She didnt hesitate to turn on and come thru for me ..Just in time for a huge snowfall,What a blessing to drive my Xterra again.in the snow with new tires.it plowed right thru it..Yes I have put alot of Money into her.but she always made me feel safe in all conditions we had to face and was well worth it.Now at 330 thousand miles ,She need some major tlc and I am finaly hesitating and hate to stop her .Engine started leaking oil from the valve gaskets,original gaskets fyi.so i had them changed .Mechanic could'nt believe original engine looked brand new he said,runs great..in aww, I told him changing the oil every 3-4 thosand miles was the secret..now needs suspension work and other things..I dont know???

Good Car

by from Texas on November 23, 2014

I bought this car used in July of 2014, only had 115,000 miles for a 10 year old car. I like the exterior styling of the car as well as the simplicity of the interior. Seats are comfortable and the A/C works great! (I live in Texas and we average 105 degree days in the summer). You sit up high in the car and I really like the driving position. Tons of cargo space in the back, especially since the rear seats have a 50/50 split and fold down flat. I personally like how this car handles for a SUV, however be prepared for quite a lot of body roll. I have the 3.3 V6 with 180 horsepower and man does it drink fuel. I originally thought I wasn't going to be driving all that much as a college student, I drive a lot in the city and highway and never average more than 16 mpg. With that being said I am not what you would call a conservative driver, maybe if you really tried you could squeeze out 18 mpg. It has a 19 gallon fuel tank which is great, and the only way you can go a significant distance with the fuel economy that you'll get. But spending $60 or more each week to go 250 miles isn't great. The automatic transmission shifts nicely but doesn't do well on the highway in 4th gear. The 4wd system works well but don't expect to get as good fuel economy with it in 4wd compared to it being in 2wd, with only the rear wheels being powered. One of the main reasons I bought this car was for it's reliability. 3 days after I bought this car I had the timing belt replaced, that was $800, however Nissan recommends to change it at 105,000. About a week after that the check engine light came on, found it was the catalytic converter. I was quoted $2000 for parts and labor. I like this car but it can be a money pit with the maintenance it needs at 100,000 miles and the poor fuel economy. Bottom line, if you live somewhere where you get a lot of snow or like to explore some rural areas and also need a car to take the family along and you can afford the sub average fuel economy than it can be a great/fun car.

Has it's moments

by from Vacaville, CA on February 27, 2010

I bought my Xterra w/ 10 miles on the odo in 2004. I really didn't research it all that much. If I had it to do again, I would have waited for the '05. Overall the Xterra has been very reliable. Not one issue with it in the 6 years & 68k miles I put on her. She's more than capable on light wheeling. I tow a small trailer w/ my ATV & got around 10 mpg. City/hwy, avg 16 mpg, & I drive rather conservitivly. My only issue is the Xterra is way underpowered. Plain & simple. I had the V6 4wd and only had 180 hp. The '05 model had the 4.0 V6 w/ 265 hp. HUGH difference w/ the same mpg. She's treated me well over the last 6 yrs, but I had to upgrade to the Titan.

My favorite vehicle ever owned

by from Forest Hill, MD on December 2, 2010

My husband and I purchased my 2004 Xterra new and I still love this SUV. It has gotten me through many snow filled winters without any difficulties. It has proven to me time and time again why I chose this above all others. Its rugged good looks are unbeatable and its realiabilty makes this a keeper. I am a mom and find this vehicle very satisfactory for what it offers in its class. I am partial to this style over the new but I would recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive, reliable mid sized SUV. Keep up the good work Nissan for producing such a quality vehicle. I plan to keep this vehicle in the family for many years to come.

I bought a second one

by from Annandale, VA on October 21, 2010

I bought a new 2004 Nissan Xterra. Liked it so much, jut bought a 2010 and love it. My 2004 was a basic model. I never had any mechanical trouble.

Lovin it

by from on May 27, 2009

I love our xterra it goes anywhere I would want it to go. It also tows anything you should be towing in its weight class. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a lightweight allaroung good vehicle.... and it looks great with wheels.