Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 Xterra

2004 Nissan Xterra

2004 Nissan Xterra

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2004 Nissan Xterra?

Great Off-Road Performer

by Xstatic from Columbia, Maryland on Tue Nov 26 2013

I owned a 2000 Xterra 5-speed manual and moved up to the 2004 5-speed manual. Feels sturdier than the earlier model. Has more power and you can feel it. Better appointments. This vehicle is stable, reliable and drinks gasoline like a man who found an oasis in the middle of the dessert. It's a second car so that's ok. I use this vehicle for moving stuff and camping. It's rugged and dependable. Great for hauling kayaks and climbing mountains.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Always Wanted One!

by LainaJ from South Bend, IN on Mon May 22 2017

I bought the car when it was 12 years old. 2004 was the last year with the exterior style I liked so much. I have had to do some work to the car but not a whole lot. I opted to replace the head gasket because the intake was already going to be dismantled for the knock sensor valve replacement and she was leaking a little oil. I have had the check engine light on for over a year now telling me I need to replace the fuel level sensor. I did replace it last year but the light still came back on. It was operating fine then and still operates just fine so I'm not worried. She always starts right up and has absolutely no trouble getting through snow or mud. I live near Indiana/Michigan so she has been tested with the snow. Love the car. I do wish the interior was a little sturdier. The fabric is falling off of the ceiling. If I was feeling really ambitious I would replace it - but it doesn't bother me that much.

Drove 200,000 over 13 ys. 100% reliable every day

by Xterra Fan on Wed Feb 07 2018

I raised three kids in this car, travelled near and far, camped over and over and she never let me down. No major repairs and I did all basic maintenance myself. Great Family car. Planning on purchasing another x-terra this year.

Very Reliable Car!!

by Belle387 from Dover, DE on Thu Dec 14 2017

This car is very reliable, and good on mpg. Drove it from Minot, ND to Dover DE in 24 hours and still going strong. Only major changes I have had to do after buying the car used was changing oil and timing belt which is necessary after a certain number of miles.

My Xterra just hit 400,000 km with minimal repairs

by Hockey Wizard 12 from Delta BC Canada on Tue Mar 06 2018

This is the best and most reliable vehicle I have owned. It is unreal in snow and is extremely durable. It is not great on gas, but is a great size and gives you the safe feeling when in it.

13 Years Old and Going Strong

by LainaJ from South Bend on Sun Jul 16 2017

Love it! Have always loved this particular year of Xterra. Great in snow, gravel and dirt. Starts every time!

Great suv if you like the Rugged Appeal

by Avid Car Lover from Asheville, NC on Fri Jun 30 2017

Its a nice sized SUV that sits high and rides quiet. I drove the 4x4 one and it was a fun ride, very roomy seats and comfortable for long drive. I have a 08 Saab and tho i use premium gas in that and the Xterra uses reg gas it cost same to fill up due to size of tank and the gas consumtion on the Xterra wasnt bad as its listed to be and the stock radio system was quite good for this SUV!! Over all I loved it and thinking on trading my Saab in on a Xterra!

Love my car

by Retired Mom from NYC on Sun Jan 01 2017

Have had this vehicle since 2005 drove it to and from work only have 68,000 on it now. Thought about getting another vehicle but really don't need to. It has a few dents but still looking good. Wouldn't trade her for anything, I would just buy another vehicle and use her for local use.

Question

by BenjaminCC from Roanoke VA on Mon Jul 16 2018

i absolutly love this car i bought it used but it was a one owner vehicle. the guy who owned it put an after market turbo on it to ease on gas love this car right now it has 150 k miles on it question is when is the mileage break in period on the 04 models? does anyone know

LOVE MY XTERRA WITH 330,000 MILES

by DONT WANNAGIVE IT UP from nj on Tue May 17 2016

I bought my Xterra brand new and used it as my business car all these years until last year ,I was given a company car.at my new job,I finally gave it a break and let it Rest.Old reliable but after 6 months my company car broke down and was forced to put her back on the road ,She didnt hesitate to turn on and come thru for me ..Just in time for a huge snowfall,What a blessing to drive my Xterra again.in the snow with new tires.it plowed right thru it..Yes I have put alot of Money into her.but she always made me feel safe in all conditions we had to face and was well worth it.Now at 330 thousand miles ,She need some major tlc and I am finaly hesitating and hate to stop her .Engine started leaking oil from the valve gaskets,original gaskets fyi.so i had them changed .Mechanic could'nt believe original engine looked brand new he said,runs great..in aww, I told him changing the oil every 3-4 thosand miles was the secret..now needs suspension work and other things..I dont know???

1 2 3