2012 Xterra

2012 Nissan Xterra

2012 Nissan Xterra

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have you driven the 2012 Nissan Xterra?

Best SUV in its class

by Outdoorsman from Boise, Idaho on Tue Aug 07 2012

This is my second Xterra since 2005. The Xterra is a true SUV, not a soccer mom SUV. The "expert" review for this vehicle on Cars.com is completely off base. This is not a luxury SUV and should not be reviewed or compaired to one. The Xterrra is in a totally different class then any other SUV exept for the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Jeep Wranger Unlimited. If an individual wants a "soft" SUV, go buy something else. Personally, I love my Xterra. My family enjoys the outdoors, everything from mountian biking, camping, snowboarding, hiking, and trail running. I have not meet a trial yet that my Xterra could not get through. The Xterra also tows like a small V8 and naturally your gas mileage will be low when a motor produces the kind of horsepower/torque that the Xterra produces. If you want better gas mileage, get a 4Cyl....oh, good luck trying to tow anything! The Xterra has excellent passing power on steep mountain roads, when you need passing power while going up hill over a short distance, the Xterrra will get the job done. I give the vehicle 5 stars with no complaints what so ever.

Rugged and Simple

by Mike from Levittown, NY on Tue Nov 29 2011

Its a great and simple SUV. Not too much glitz and glam and more of the stuff you need to get outdoors with all the gear you need. Just one problem.. The truck is aimed towards the younger more active market, and its 2012. So, what driver 16-30 doesnt own an ipod? Theres no AUX plug for your ipod/phone in the X/S model. Seriously?

nice suv

by truck driver from boston.mass on Fri Jul 13 2012

Had to trade in my frontier to have room for the new baby. This vehicle handles great. i have the 6 speed od trans Pro 4x. It has plenty of power and rides great on the highway. Seems like a well built vehicle with alot of storage. Has a side airbag in the back seat. feels more durable than other suvs i've driven.

Love it

by B from Wilmington, De. on Sat Feb 15 2014

I have owned my Xterra for one year now and have 9000 miles on it. The Xterra is a rugged reliable SUV without the bells and whistles. And I don't need those. Its comfortable to drive, looks awesome and handles great on dry pavement, rain and in deep snow. I wont complain about the gas mileage because I knew when I bought the Xterra, mileage wasn't great. But since I work 7 miles from home, that wasn't much of a factor for me. This winter is proving to be one of the snowiest in many years and I am loving it. My baby can blast through a foot or more of the stuff without any effort. Let it snow, I'm loving it.

Excellent Safety design

by DorriD from Conroe TX on Thu Feb 28 2013

Just survived a collision in our 2012 model.Car is totaled.Could have been much worse.The seat belt and air bags hugged me tight.I am just really sore.But no broken bones or bleeding. I couldn't have asked for better protection.

What I needed

by Spigola from New Jersey on Thu Sep 19 2013

What I needed to use as a beach buggy for fishing on the beaches of NJ. Will also double as a foul weather vehicle for the family.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Better than a jeep!

by jhuggins from Illinois on Mon May 29 2017

We were looking for a good vehicle for every day use and camping, after shopping around for awhile we finally found the one we want! We wanted something with roof racks and tow hitch and lots of room. The Xterra offers that. As far as the interior feature, it has a great sound system, multiple plug-ins, a hidden compartment, bottle holders on the side of the door. The trunk is lined with plastic so it will be easy to clean and the seats come down. There is so much room still to add on and make it out own. We are very happy with our purchase.

Most reliable car I've owned

by Bertski on Sun Jul 15 2018

This vehicle suits my lifestyle. I can tow my trailer/kayaks. It has the ability to tow much heavier loads. It's a beast in the New England snow and when I ski up north. It has a durable interior and exterior so you don't have to baby it. Perfect for an active lifestyle

Hard working, Long lasting

by travler from IL/IA on Thu Sep 12 2013

I bought this'06 Xtrerra as a used vehicle with 16k miles on it. It currently it has 270,000 miles. No fault so far... I had to put new front bearings in at 250,000 miles. 1 set of rotors and a couple sets of break pads. haven't had to change the spark plugs yet. Still gets 20+ MPG. I suppose that the interior could have some more ritz and glitz...but that's not what I bought an Xterra for... It's been in little towns, big cities, Dakota gravel roads, all over the Rockies...and it's still going places.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

good but could be better

by mattyice from minnesota on Thu Mar 13 2014

I bought a 2012 pro4x brand new a few years ago. I have around 11,000 miles on the car. Things i like: -rugged look -ample space throughout -sound system -4x4 ability (definitely better than most competitors) -comfort -handling -solid feeling -acceleration is good -solid engine Things i dont like -gas mileage is terrible. more like 12-13 city and 15-16 highway -no automatic seats for a top of the line car -no gps for a top of the line car -no backup camera for a top of the line car -no seat warmers for a top of the line car -rearview mirror tells you what direction you're going but not the outside temperature in regards to reliability, i have had no issues with the car but i did get the extended warranty. Fixing cars can be expensive, especially on SUVs so I highly recommend people purchase it, it will save money down the road.

1 2

Our Take on the 2012 Nissan Xterra

The Xterra certainly has its place in the world: It's a go-to SUV for the uber-rugged sort. I can see my 20-something brother driving this five-seat SUV (if only he'd hold down a job to pay for it); he'd throw his mountain bike in the back, skillfully traverse seemingly impassable terrain, then toss his muddy gear into the plastic-lined cargo area before meeting his girlfriend for a romantic ramen noodle dinner. He might even shower first.

The rough and tumble 2012 Nissan Xterra SUV should appeal to many for whom power windows, a radio and hill descent control are all they need in life — but there are dozens of evolved crossover models that are better suited to how most of us live.

The 2012... Read More